PDA

View Full Version : Creating a bootable usb/disc on windows, am I stupid?

Medivv
07-19-2010, 06:07 AM
I've searched and searched without any luck and I'm now frustrated enough to start a thread about this strange problem...

Anyway, I've downloaded both iAKTOS v7 and iAKTOS S3.
The problem is that the iso files are around 3gig each, but when exploring them using WinRar there's only a couple of hundred megabytes of files in them, and after extracting them I'm left with only a couple of hundred kilobytes of data.

I've hash verified both of the iso files, I've tried mounting them, I've never had this problem with iso files before.

I'm suspecting I've missed something very... obvious, could someone point it out to me? :)

Medivv
07-19-2010, 06:27 AM
I did some more searching and the reason seems to be that windows doesn't recognize most of the files in the iso.

Well, so far neither PowerISO, WinRar nor Daemon Tools doesn't seem to recognize most of the files in the iso(s), but MagicISO seemed to, but during extraction it fails with a "Fail to create directory." error.

Still haven't got a solution, anyone?

will1384
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I did some more searching and the reason seems to be that windows doesn't recognize most of the files in the iso.

Well, so far neither PowerISO, WinRar nor Daemon Tools doesn't seem to recognize most of the files in the iso(s), but MagicISO seemed to, but during extraction it fails with a "Fail to create directory." error.

Still haven't got a solution, anyone?

What are you trying to do?

If you are just trying to burn an ISO, then just burn the ISO, and dont
worry about what Windows can see or not see, that's irrelevant, if you
just burn the ISO with out messing with it, it should work just fine

LawlessPPC
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
the reason being is mac use a different format to windows and this also extends to their native cds/dvds macHFS is the format. So windows will only see the iso9660 part of the image file as the disk you are going to burn are dual format. The parts that windows sees are only the small files in the iso9660 section of the disk that used for booting it. So unless you install a filesystem that can read MacHFS you wont see them but as the previous poster pointed out if you just burn the image to disk this should give you the right disk.

Medivv
07-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks, but I can't burn the iso to a disc, since the netbook I'm trying to install OS X on haven't got a dvd drive. I need to create a bootable usb.

will1384
07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
I found this a long time ago

OSX install without a Mac (http://osx86.r0m30.com/installation)

and

Create OSX86 USB installation drive on a PC (http://greyhead.co.uk/wiki/Create_OSX86_USB_installation_drive_on_a_PC)

May be it will help ?

You might want to get an external CD/DVD when you can

Medivv
07-20-2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks a lot, I have no idea how I haven't found that page already, been googling like mad...

I followed the guide in your first link, it was just sick though, took 5 (!) hours for dd.exe it to extract the iso file to the usb drive. Finally when done I struggled with selecting the partition in diskpart.
Finally found out that the reason was SunDisk's CRAPPY U3 launchpad utility that had reservated a read only part of the memory. The uninstaller crashed several times, but I finally managed to remove it using an XP installation on another computer... the problem is it also removed everything else on the flash drive....
Will give it another try though, haven't given up yet.

Just saying... everything involving partitioning and OS installations is the most frustrating thing you can get yourself into.....

Medivv
07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Another update, managed to create the usb (at least I think so) but now I'm getting a "Missing operating system" when trying to boot from the usb...

Seriously... I'm soon giving up this shit, too much trouble....

will1384
07-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Another update, managed to create the usb (at least I think so) but now I'm getting a "Missing operating system" when trying to boot from the usb...

Seriously... I'm soon giving up this shit, too much trouble....

Yes I had problems also, but with other things, I got tired of messing
around with stuff like that and ended up spending the $30 and
getting an external CD/DVD drive, seams like some Linux, Windows
and other Operating systems just dont play nice with thumb drives

Thankfully Ubuntu and Windows 7 both have programs to make thumb
drive installers

uwannacookie
07-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Medivv, did you forgot to install a bootloader or something? Put Chameleon 2 RC3 in your pendrive , boot it, and boot the Mac OS X via there, then you install INSIDE the OS, and on next reboot it will work.

Medivv
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks, had almost given up...

I thought a boot loader was included in the iAKTOS release, but I guess I was wrong?
Anyway, took a look at Chamelon but all guides expect you to install it onto the usb from inside OS X. Is there anyway to do it from inside win7?

uwannacookie
07-22-2010, 11:25 PM
In fact, it is. I used iAtkos S3 v2 to make a bootable usb. Have you chosen a bootloader? You should choose at least one.

Medivv
07-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Sorry, but you've lost me. I haven't got much experience with boot loaders, setting up dual boot systems etc.

Are you saying I need to install a boot loader onto the usb (that now should contain an iAKTOS S3 installation)?

Or are you saying I need a boot loader installed to my netbook to be able to boot from the usb (To get around the "No operating found" error)?

Or did you miss that I'm getting this error when trying to boot from the iAKTOS usb, not after a successful installation or something?
I'm really sorry, but I'm so confused right now so please bear with me :)

I might add the netbook already has win7 installed, I want to dual boot win7/iAKTOS S3 v2.

man_of_the_oak
07-23-2010, 09:27 AM
He wants to say that besides of restoring Snow Leopard image on usb pendrive, you also need to install bootloader on it. Everything must be done under MAC OS X's Disk Utility. Remember that it's not all about creating a HFS+ partition but also about some boot files that are created within restored image (what can be done only under osx). So:

Get a VMware Workstation, google a tutorial on how to install osx out there, then find a good tutorial (where all chameleon and extra stuff is mentioned) on how to create a bootable usb stick with Snow Leopard.

uwannacookie couldn't do it this way since his CPU isn't compatible with virtualization.

uwannacookie
07-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Better do it on desktop computer , if it is recent.

Medivv
07-24-2010, 08:41 PM
So, I went back to VMWare Workstation 7(tried getting it running before, didn't succeed). This time I downloaded a Mac OSX VMWare image (for anyone else reading search for Mac.OSX.Leopard+VMware.Workstation-TeamWersaq, I'm sure you'll find a way to get it :))

Anyway, I got OSX leopard up and running in VMWare, where I used this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199832 to create the bootable usb.

I booted the usb successfully on my netbook, started the installation but unfortunately I got a "Install failed - The installer could not copy the necessary support files" halfway through the installation. I'll keep trying though, maybe recopy the iso to the usb and make sure the iso didn't get corrupted during moves etc.

At least I'm making some progress, though very slowly...

Medivv
07-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Lots of posts by me atm hoping that someone drops by that knows how to get this to work.

I started from scratch again, formatting the usb and doing it all over again. Seems to have worked since the installation succeeds now.
OSX boots up fine the first time, but on shutdown it gets stuck at "MACH Reboot", forcing me to reset the pc. On next boot I get kernel panic.