PDA

View Full Version : Installation failures

komakino
01-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Hello there!!

I finally got here to ask for some help about Zephyroth leopard dvd.
I have Zephyroth's dvd a while but i havent successfully installed anywere.
i have 2 pc which are about the same,amd 3200 1 gig ram (the one have msi mainbord msi neo4-f and the other has asrock 939 dual sata2) the same sata hd kai also the same ide disks) the one with the msi is at work and the other is at home.

the one with the ashrock mainboard when i tried to install leopard the boot when fine until i couldent find my hd on disk utility,i tried to fix it but i give up.after 1 week i tried to install it again and i could find the disk.i said ok that nice and i continiued the installation and every were going right ecxept the thing that the installation stops at the point were it says that it needs 2 minutes to finish. i tried 3 and 4 times the same thing.

On the other on at work with the msi mainboard when i boot from the dvd it keeps rebooting again and again. I tried -s -v -f -x nothing always reboots.

I am a little noob but i have successfully install tiger on both machines.

I search and searched but i cant find a solution can anybody help?
some info or some links to somewhere?

thanks in advance.

(sorry for the big post but i tried to give as much of info that i can)

naquaada
01-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Tell more about your system specs, CPU, gx card, chipset etc. Does the CPU support the SSE3 command set? How have you configured your harddisks, are you using a single OS X HD or a combined Windows-MacOS-HD? I always recommend a single HD for OS X. If you format the partition, always select HFS+ (journaled) like default and try in 'Security Options' the point 'Overwrite with zeroes'. I had this one-minute-left problem too, after these overwriting with zeroes it worked.

komakino
01-19-2008, 10:23 PM
thanks for the reply,

The one with the 2 minute problem:
Cpu: Amd Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice) (socket 939) (SSE,SSE2,SSE3)
mainboard: Ashrock 939 dual sata2 (chipset ULi M1695) link : http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939Dual-SATA2
Ram 1GB (2x512)(kingstone)
Gx Card: Geforce FX5200 128MB (AGP)
As for a hard disk I use an IDE Maxtror 20gb only(i mean that during the installation it only this HD attacked to the pc)

The other with the restarts:
Mainboard:K8N Neo4-F (chipset NVIDIA nForce4) link : http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4-F
Gx Card: Msi Geforce 6800 256MB (pci-e)
As for a hard disk I use an IDE Maxtror 20gb only(i mean that during the installation it only this HD attacked to the pc)

Thanks again

naquaada
01-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Try before an installation the 'overwrite with zeroes' method. That worked for me, I now have a working Leopard on this machine.

komakino
01-20-2008, 02:28 AM
ok i will try that method,but i cant today,i will do it i i will tell you if it works.

any suggestions about the reboots? i saw a post yesterday that one guy had the same problem and he did something with fdisk -x something like that he removed some nvidia kexts and it worked but he didnt give details.Unfortunately i cannot find that post again to help you.

Many guys have the same problems like me,so this may be helpfull for others also.
Thanks again!!

naquaada
01-20-2008, 02:34 AM
If you have an ATI card, you have to remove all kexts beginning with Ge* and NV*, they have something to do with nVidia graphics cards. I don't think you have to do this.
After installing you have to make your harddisk bootable. Boot agaon from the DVD in safe mode (option -s) and enter following commands:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
update
f 1
w (confirm with y)
q

After this reboot, then it should work. If not, try rdisk1.

komakino
01-20-2008, 02:47 AM
no i dont have to do this,i dont have ati card.

i will try the commands you tell me if i ever successfully install leopard :)

komakino
01-21-2008, 07:44 PM
nothing with the zeros,steel looking!

komakino
01-31-2008, 02:39 AM
hi to all again.

I have made some progress,i will post later detail that may help some others.

Before i post i need some help,about the second pc i wrote some post before:

Mainboard:K8N Neo4-F (chipset NVIDIA nForce4) link : http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4-F
Gx Card: Msi Geforce 6800 256MB (pci-e)

i read at the wiki that someone with same m/b using zephyroth 10.5.1 wrote:

K8N Neo4-F nVidia nForce4 Chipset
• Audio and LAN working out of the box
• Had to run fdisk fix and remove all GeForce and nVidia kexts to get it to boot
• Install method: Zephyroth 10.5.1 DVD
Unknown No: Needs some patching/tweaking

how to remove that kexts at install? or i have to remove them from the iso and burn the dvd again?

thanks!

Chief9999
01-31-2008, 04:20 AM
quick question when you format your HD as a mac osx on a single drive and you format it for journled hfs+ should it be guid or still mbr in the options.

I have tried to install it three times and it has failed everytime.

my specs
a8n sli deluxe (asus) 939 mb 3800+X2 6600 nvidea graphics card 2 gigs of ram and a SIIG fire wire 800 card in the box

komakino
01-31-2008, 05:13 AM
in one pc journled hfs+ mbr and it works i dont know if its ok but it works.

on the msi m/b pc i get continiusly reboots,so i havent gone so far.

Chief9999
02-01-2008, 06:38 AM
ok I'm having a problem also. Install has failed 5 times I pulled out everything but keyboard, mouse and cpu 3800+X2 and 6600 graphics card Dvd boots in either the sata or pata dvd and goes to the install I format well I did both guid and mbr both times install failed. I tried zeroing out the drive and installing again this time mbr and still failed. do I need to install xp first then formatting it to osx?
Help....