PDA

View Full Version : 10.5.2 Hardware compatibility & First time install

yearzero
03-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on downloading 10.5.2 r2 and attempting to install it on my PC, when my monthly bandwidth limit permits (which will likely be never, since I'm restricted to 10 gig a month!)

I've never tried this before and indeed, I've never actually used OS X before, so I have many (stupid?) questions for you all.

First of all, is there any known problems with installing on the following hardware? Or to the contrary, can anyone confirm the following hardware will work?

M/board: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD X2 4400+
Video: Gigabyte 7300 GT 256 meg
Drives: Sata II Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS 320 gig, IDE Pioneer DVR-111D

Secondly, how would I go about dual booting with Linux/GRUB? I figure when I install Leopard, it'll overwrite my boot sector and that's fine, but I already have Linux installed and would like to keep it there. I can jump back into Linux using a live CD and reinstall grub, but where can I find the config lines necessary to add it to my boot menu? Will the following work in GRUB, forgetting about the disk/partition selection?

title "OS X 10.5.2"
root (hd0, 0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Another question, is..... if I can obtain a "real" 10.5.2 CD, is there somewhere I could find patches (and instructions for applying them) to make it installable on a PC?

Thanks everyone; I'd appreciate any advice you could give me :-)