PDA

View Full Version : locks up at the installing screen.

dam89
06-17-2011, 05:59 PM
First of all sorry if i've double posted and i'm a noob at this.

I've been trying to get SL running on my AMD rig using modCD 0.3.1 and a retail dvd. I can boot into the osx installer and format the hard drive and pick custom options etc but one i hit install the installation starts the disc drive spins up and the progress bar moves a bit then after 20 -30 seconds the installer seems to lock up i can move the mouse but if i click on any menu item i just get the loading symbol. I've left it a few times for about an hour each using different bios settings and boot flags to no avail.
I've tried installing with both AHCI and Native IDE.
The disc I'm using works as I done an install on my laptop to test it.

My rig specs are:
Phenom II 955 - overclocked to 3.8Ghz but i did try lowering it to stock clock.
Gigabtye GA-890xa-UD3 (uses amd 790x)
4gb corsair ddr3 1333mhz
xfx HD5770 1GB

To boot the installer I needed to disable Gigabyte's sata controller which handles 2 of the sata ports.

UPDATE: For anyone with the same problem.

I took out the hard drive and hooked it up to my Laptop. (Which is also AMD) I ran the install successfully then I put the hdd back into the desktop and booted osx up using the modCD. I installed Chameleon, updated to 10.6.6 and installed all my kexts. The Installation is fully working apart from my D-Link PCI Wifi Adapter, but i'm on a wired connection atm anyway so no worries about that yet.

The problem seems to be caused by an incompatibility with my DVD Drive