PDA

View Full Version : Help request: AMD OSX

HpVaC
10-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Hello, i'm new to the OSX scene and would like to install OSX on my AMD System, thing is: i've tried with iATKOS V7, Hazard's Snow Leopard, Kalyway 10.5.2, Snow OSX 3.6.2, iDened 1.5.1 all of them unsuccesful attempts, on some cases the system just reboot, others load the mac logo gray screen and gives me the stop sign after a few secs, and when using -v at prompt i get "Still waiting for root device" i had the latest bios *2104 read somewhere it had that problem and went down to 2103, but still the same, AHCI is enabled on bios, cool and quiet disabled same as c1e (or something like that), ACPI 2.0 mode is S3, unleashing mode enabled hope you can help me, here are my specs:

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Memory : 4119MB (1029MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 11.04
User Name : hpvac (HpVaC)
Date/Time : Sat 01 Oct 2011 04:48:21 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1360x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : ATI Radeon HD 5500 Series
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Razer Razer Imperator
Razer Razer Imperator
-Printers (CUPS)-
3140 : <i>Default</i>
Phaser-3140-and-3155
-SCSI Disks-
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20
ATA ST31000528AS

Rude dumb old me, forgot to thank; Thanks in advance

EDIT #2; i have the retail Leopard (2 discs), and Snow Leopard (1 disc) isos aswell

todesto
10-02-2011, 06:54 AM
i think it is your graphic card that preventing you to proceed further. HD5500 is supported natively from 10.6.6 or 7, I think. :(

I suggest you get another graphic or use the mainboard graphic to start.

nightf4ll
10-02-2011, 09:15 AM
I was getting the same error message like you "Still waiting for root device" when I first tried installing. I was using my old ATA hard disk, but when I tried instaling on Serial-ATA everything worked perfectly.
Since you already use Serial-ATA, try those suggestions:

Step 1 Jumper Settings : If your system contains IDE hard disk or DVD RW then you need to play with your jumper settings. If the following settings are not working for you try vice versa. if you have Sata Hard Disk and DVD RW skip to step 2.

Your rom/writer must be set as Primary Master.
Your hard-disk must be set as Primary Slave .

Step 2 Tweaking the BIOS : If you satisfies step 1 then time is to play with BIOS settings. Open your BIOS settings by pressing DEL or F2 key continuosly as you starts your PC. Once the BIOS screen appears try to find and change following options if they are available.

ATA/IDE Mode : Native
Configure SATA as : AHCI
S.M.A.R.T. : Enabled

Step 3 Download Another Distribution : This is the most effective there are many OSX86 distro in the wild but you have to choose select one for your hardware configuration. For selecting the right one search on Wiki.OSX86project.org and forum.insanelymac.com if you find anyone who posted a success message with his details then you are lucky otherwise download the various flavours and try them.

Those suggestions helped me, you can find them http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/05/still-waiting-for-root-device/, check the comments too..

P.S. First step for you would be to enter BIOS and check if your hard disk is set as Primary Slave, and if you configured SATA as AHCI in BIOS settings. SMART is not that important i guess, but it never hurts to enable it ;)

hans88
10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
If you're sure that your AHCI mode is enabled an there are no conflicts, then its your hard drive, may there are no PATA kexts on your versions of OS X DVDS'. Im working on a tutorial, just wait a little bit, you'll find you're answers or in the mean time if you can try to do it on a SATA HD....

HpVaC
10-02-2011, 06:37 PM
@todesto thing is if my memory ain't that bad, MoBo graphics are ati hd 4450, will leave it at last option tho.
@nightf4ll i'll try the jumper settings (i got an ide rom), and about bioses ACHI thing is i've looked everywhere and i still can't find where to set it to native mode, on SATA config only shows IDE RAID and ACHI modes to config, that's all.
@hans88 im using a SATA disk, tried on 3 different ones in fact current device is a 1TB HD, tried on a Barracuda 160 GB and a WD caviar 1200 as well.

Thanks for the tips everyone i'll get to work on it, and let you know if i succeded

nightf4ll
10-02-2011, 06:43 PM
@todesto thing is if my memory ain't that bad, MoBo graphics are ati hd 4450, will leave it at last option tho.
@nightf4ll i'll try the jumper settings (i got an ide rom), and about bioses ACHI thing is i've looked everywhere and i still can't find where to set it to native mode, on SATA config only shows IDE RAID and ACHI modes to config, that's all.
@hans88 im using a SATA disk, tried on 3 different ones in fact current device is a 1TB HD, tried on a Barracuda 160 GB and a WD caviar 1200 as well.

Thanks for the tips everyone i'll get to work on it, and let you know if i succeded

Use the AHCI mode... Don't seatch for native IDE. My bios has native IDE, and when i switch to it the OS wont boot.
As i said before, just make sure u use the AHCI mode and that your HD is Primary Slave. Because most people put HD as Primary Master, but Mac requires it to be Primary Slave for some reason...

hans88
10-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Check my thread and look if it helps you out: http://osx86.co/f57/os-x-snow-leopard-on-msi-790fx-gd70-t7452/#post55572

HpVaC
10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Use the AHCI mode... Don't seatch for native IDE. My bios has native IDE, and when i switch to it the OS wont boot.
As i said before, just make sure u use the AHCI mode and that your HD is Primary Slave. Because most people put HD as Primary Master, but Mac requires it to be Primary Slave for some reason...

perharps its because most of the macs (or at least the ppcs i worked with a long time ago) had only 1 bus, meaning just 1 disk and 1 optic, BTW still haven't got the time to try the fixes (including the usb keyboard instead of a ps2, yeah, you read well, ps2, i just haven't found a M$ Natural Keyboard like on usb here in Mexico just notebook like, everything so together for my big hands lol i'll let you all know the results, thanks again

darshmurarka
10-09-2011, 04:10 AM
hi guys i am new to the OSx86 thing and i need some advice
--COMPUTER--
Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2
Chipset: AMD 780G
SouthBrigde: SB700
Memory : 4GB DDR3
Operating System : Windows7
Graphics Card :Zotac 9400GT(1GB)

which distro should i use??
and what all is necessary for installing the MAC OS X completely with all hardware working??

thank u in advance

nightf4ll
10-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I used SNOWLEO_MAC_Snow_Leopard_OSX86_64_For_INTEL_AMD_32 _64_MBR_GUID, search for it in google..
During installation make sure u check following options in customisation:
- kernel: chocolate kernel
- amd patch
- fakeSMC
- platform UUID
- drivers for your LAN/WAN
- legacy apple piicata
- Azaila audio
- drivers for your graphicscard
- and chameleon RC5 or one of the older

here is a detailed tutorial.. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=236495

darshmurarka
10-11-2011, 03:37 PM
i installed frm the osx86 distro u suggested and followed everything
i am able to install the OSx86 but after installation when i reboot i get an error like DISK FAILURE INSERT A SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
some kind of this error

darshmurarka
11-06-2011, 10:17 PM
got everything working and updated to 10.6.8
but unable to use my DVD drive(IDE)

pls help

thx

hans88
11-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Try using LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext it may help.