View Full Version : Msi 790fx-gd70

hans88
10-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Installing OS X Snow Leopard AMD MSI 790FX-GD70
MY SPECS:
MSI 790FX-GD70
AMD PHENOM II X4 965 3.40 GHz
ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
6 GB RAM (1 - 2GB TWIN MOS, 1 - 4GB KINGSTON)
A BOTTLE OF JACK DANIEL'S LOLL
TUTORIAL OF OS X SNOW LEOPARD BY HERCHENRODER HANS.

Before I start, I would like to state that I take no responsibility to any damage caused to other parties or electronic device failure during this process. Everything which you will be doing in this process goes against the Apple EULA as per stated in the "OS X on non-apple devices". You are the sole risk-taker.
I will go a bit deeper in the tutorial explanations which may seem boring so as NOOBS also may understand.
So people who find themselves having similar specs may do parallel steps.
First of all make sure you can change the BIOS setting of your Hard Drive to AHCI mode or else it wont work, you'll get the "still waiting for root device" error.
Look if you have also ACPI and APIC enabled.
Some pre-requisites:-
It is a must to use a USB keyboard and not a PS/2!!!
WE DONT SUPPORT WAREZ ON THIS FORUM !!!!!
Download this link: http://www.kexts.com/view/1898-kernel_extensions_for_msi_790fx-gd70_by_hans.html (you may need to sign-up before being able to download this file!!)
Download the apple 10.6.4, 10.6.5, 10.6.6, and 10.6.7 DMG each individually on apple’s website or if you can find a full update up to 10.6.7 but make sure not 10.6.8.
Save all of them somewhere to be used later like a 8GB pendrive or on an other hard drive…etc.
Prepare a new hard drive for the set-up of OS X.
Now boot on the OS X DVD, when asked press F8 and enter these flags:-
-f busratio=20 maxmem=4096
Where –f tells the machine to reload all kexts.
Busratio=20; is the busratio value according to my CPU which will tell the kernel the value of my FSB, or else there will be kernel trap. As far as I know the symbols and values of this kernel is only able to handle up to AMD Phenom X4 (4 Cores), 6 cores CPU have not been tested yet on this Kernel. You may have Kernel Panic using 6 cores as the Kernel has no values set yet for CORE 5 and 6 as Core5 and 6 will use new CPU ID and values which has not been implemented yet in the Kernel. So in that case just go in your BIOS and disable CORE 5 and 6. Later on we will come back to enable the core 5 and 6 when we will use the new 10.7.0 kernel which nawcom did a great job.
For example most Intel uses busratio=11 or 13, and AMD 20 if you’re not sure just google it. If you still don’t get it you can try these calculations:
Considering my CPU is 3400 MHz and multiplier is 17(you should look for your multiplier in BIOS) so I divide 3400 by 17 = 200 which I divide by 10= 20. So my busratio is 20. Or simply just google your CPU model's FSB. If you failed to enter the right value of the busratio, then the computer will keep on restarting until you enter the correct value.
Maxmem is the RAM configuration which tells the kernel how much of RAM to use. If you have over than 4GB of RAM installed, you need to put maxmem=4096 or you will get KERNEL PANIC as the Kernel which we are using right now is not able to handle more than 4GB of RAM. Don't worry chopin later on we will change the kernel to be able to use more than 4GB RAM.
And then press the ENTER key.
When you will reach the setup menu, you just follow the usual steps, click next, agree, OK etc… When it will be time to choose the HD to install OS X you wont find the any available, as none has been yet formatted.
Go to DISK UTILTY it should be among one of these menu on the top bar. You will see all your hard drive's. Then you will have to choose the one intended to install OS X. Go on PARTITION tab and make the number of partitions you wish, then click options menu below it.
Here if you intend to do dual boot Windows of Linux systems and other OS, you will have to choose the MASTER BOOT RECORD system, if none then you can choose the GUID PARTITION TABLE. Then choose the MAC OS X Extended Journaled as file system and click apply format etc.
Close everything , you should get to the setup window. Now you will see that you can choose the Hard drive which you want to install OS X. Select it, click next, agree etc. You should look at the bottom left, you will notice a "customize" key, click on it.
Here its a critical point of the set-up. Just do as I say and don't select other than specified as the system may hang-up with KERNEL PANIC.
There is already a pre-selected numbers of options. Don't remove anything to it, in addition you will have to select some further more, namely:-

System: Select all.

Chipset: LEGACY AHCI,
LEGACY APPLE PIIXATA,
JMICRON ATA
LEGACY JMB36X SATA

System patches: EVOREBOOT
SLEEP ENABLER
APPLE PS 2
APPLE RTC
IOATA FAMILY KP FIX
IO PCI FAMILY FIX
IO USB FIX
AMD PATCH.

You will notice that i've selected none in the Network, Video and Audio section. Its because none of them are useful for my Motherboard model, as I will have to use different one's later. So, if you are not using same model of Motherboard, VGA, Audio and LAN with me, i.e: you are using an nVIDIA card, then you may go across it and select the ones useful to you. But make sure about what you are selecting as you may get KERNEL PANIC or GRAPHICAL ARTIFACTS screen if the wrong Graphics kexts have been chosen.
Thats it, you're done. You can carry on click next and your OS X will be installed.
When finished, you'll notice the black screen like ms-dos. Just wait till you will see something like: "OS version not set yet, kernel panic etc."
Then turn your computer OFF and switch ON again (I didn't mean restart, OFF and ON!!!)
Now remove the DVD and make sure the boot device has been selected for the OS X drive.
When you will restart your computer, keeping pressing F8 or Left Arrow Key (LAK) before the bootloader loads the kernel. Choose the OS X Hard drive and enter the "maxmem=4096" flag and hit enter, as we are using te machine kernel for now, it has not been changed to legacy kernel yet, we'll deal with that later.
Here you are welcome to OS X version 10.6, just follow the steps and select Europe style keyboard when asked.
For right now you will notice there is Poor Graphics Display, no AUDIO and LAN devices.
Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES> CHAMELEON>PERIPHERALS and unselect "Graphics Enabler".
ADVANCED> CPUS=4, BUSRATIO=20.
Now go through these steps.
1. Open and install the 10.6.4 DMG update. When it is finishes, install the 10.4.0 kernel from downloaded folder named "Kernel Extensions by Hans". MAKE SURE YOU DONT RESTART THE COMPUTER BEFORE INSTALLING THE 10.4.0 KERNEL OR ELSE YOUR SYSTEM WILL HANG UP, there will be KERNEL PANIC!!!!!!!!
2. When the system will restart, you will again have to press the F8 KEY or "LAK" again and enter MAXMEM=4096 flag. Get in OS X and install 10.6.5 update DMG, when it finishes, now install the 10.6.0 kernel before rebooting.
Now you can boot without entering the MAXMEM flag, as this kernel recognize more than 4GB RAM.
3. Install 10.6.6 update DMG and reboot.
4. Install 10.6.7 update DMG and 10.7.0 Kernel before rebooting.
5. Reboot
If you're using an ATI RADEON HD VGA CARD follow these steps, nVIDIA users just google how to sort it out. If you are using specifically an "ASUS ATI RADEON HD 5750 1 GB GDDR5", there's no need to go through step "A" as I already did the kexts modification for this card.
A.Go in Application> Utilities> System profiler> Graphics/Displays note down your device ID and VENDOR, lets take for example my device ID is 0x68be and Vendor is ATI (0x1002). Then open the downloaded folder: "Kernel Extensions by Hans"> kext for 10.6.7> right click ATI5000 Kext > show package content > content> right on info.plist> open with> other…choose "Text Edit".
Then you should see something like this among these lines:-
<string>0x68981002 0x68991002 0x68E01002 0x68E11002 0x68D81002 0x68C01002 0x68C11002 0x68D91002 0x68BE1002 0x68B01002 0x68B11002 0x68A01002 0x68A11002 </string>
According to my device ID and Vendor I should input 0x68BE1002 as my device in between these lines and save it (refer to underlined characters).
Now go to your OS X HD go on System> Library> Extensions, delete the ATI 5000 KEXT and close everything.

B.Go in SYSTEM PREFERENCES> ACCOUNTS and make an account password, as it will be necessary for "pfix".
Open "pfix"(from my Kernel Extensions by Hans folder), type the password and hit ENTER, type in your root device; It is the first one on the list, usually: /dev/disk0s1 where 0 stands for zero and not "O" letter and hit ENTER key. Wait until it tells you it has finishes and you may log out…
Don't log out, copy all the contents in the "Kernel Extensions by Hans" folder in System> Library> Extensions.
Run again the "pfix", type the root device(usually /dev/disk0s1) and reboot.
I think i've been clear enough, even NOOBS will find their way.
Thats it, you're done. You have a working APPLE MAC PRO with nearly all features!!!!!
Now you may switch back ON the CORE 5 and 6 in your BIOS to see if it works with the new kernel and recognize it as a six core.
For Advanced Users: Don't worry I have already changed all the "Uakari" in the ATY_Init kext to "Vervet", so no need to change, just enjoy!!!
Thanks also to nawcom, netkas, uphuck, AnV, Voodoo Team and myself AirHans.
For any further request, you are welcome…

bassie86
10-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Hello Hans,

Sorry iam bad english, and i have MSI 790FX-GD70 working 10.6.7 good
only have ATI 5750 working 1920x1080 full HD only Apps crash (Finder, Appstore, Safari, Game) having -force64 delete en now Apps crash

i having bootflag cpus=4 -force64 -x (veilige modus) work not apps crash only.

And i have found to www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) can not see movie :S.

i hope you can me tell what have problem

CPU AMD Phenom II x2 550be (overclock and unlock to 4 cpus)

You can see to my topic (iam come from dutch)
http://www.hackintosh.nl/snow-leopard-10-6-x/12327-msi-790fx-gd70-en-amd-phenom-ii-x2-550be.html

hans88
10-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Ok, first I need to know how you set up OS X 10.6.7 on your PC. Did you followed my tutorial or you did it in your own way??

akimoa
10-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Either way he has to patch his AMD binaries just tiggle the Forum Search for it will get alot Topics on it

and your programms will stop crahsing while in 64bit userland

hans88
10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Nooo, I did met with this problem in the past, patching binaries with marvin's utility wont really help. I think that, the problem comes from the kernel's cache. What he should do is to clear the cache with apps like OnyX. Then unhide everything with apps like "Hide and Seek", delete every kernel meaning: the mach_kernel, the legacy_kernel and the legacy_kernel.old from your root directory; meaning your HD. Then make sure to install Nawcom's 10.7 kernel before restarting. For Safari you will have to run it in 32-bit mode or else the streaming of videos will make it crash, even me I have to.

That would be of great help if I know, in which way he did the set-up, whether mine or his own???

akimoa
10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
i am not saying with marvins utility im saying with amd _insn_patcher form AnV

since yes nawcoms Kernel Installer patches most(using same method) but it doesnt patch the dyld wich is also needed to run a stable 64 bit AMD system

and yet again this will only work proper when done with a retail installation not with a distro wich has some really important stuff ripped out !!!

just saying

hans88
10-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Anyway if he still cant find his way out he can still use the pre-patched dyld from anV its available on kexts.com and no need to use amd _insn_patcher as it is already included in the contents of root in nawcoms 10.7 kernel package under usr/local/bin, but make sure of not using anV's kernel on this machine. I already tried it, most apps won't work and lots of bad experience etc. II'll rather recommend nawcom's one. I didn't have to use anV's pre-patched dyld as it is working as expected, I don't have any bad experience and it lacks nothing. I can even use big apps like Logic, Photoshop in 32 and 64 bit mode.

akimoa
10-26-2011, 08:42 PM
u dont get me and i dont care

on top of that thats exactly what i posted above

and torrentlinks are unwanted too here

if u dont have the cash to buy a mac dvd u dont deserve one !

wastez
10-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Anyway if he still cant find his way out he can still use the pre-patched dyld from anV its available on kexts.com and no need to use amd _insn_patcher as it is already included in the contents of root in nawcoms 10.7 kernel package under usr/local/bin, but make sure of not using anV's kernel on this machine. I already tried it, most apps won't work and lots of bad experience etc. II'll rather recommend nawcom's one. I didn't have to use anV's pre-patched dyld as it is working as expected, I don't have any bad experience and it lacks nothing. I can even use big apps like Logic, Photoshop in 32 and 64 bit mode.You also can use AnVīs kernel because itīs possible to disable the custom dyld with flag std_dyld=Yes.

Since 10.8.0 AnVīs kernel has the advantage, that it gets the correct fsb from the bootloader.
Because if the other one detects an amd it multiplies the default fsb (which is 100) x 2.
Since Chameleon detects the correct fsb of an amd this can lead to problems. (like audio lagging and something)