PDA

View Full Version : How are you upgrading / patching your os x Leo?

crencom
03-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Just thought i would ask this to see if maybe i am missing something. I am running the latest Leo4All version. I upgraded by patching the iso and reinstalling the system. Is everybody doing the same or is there a way to patch the system w/out reinstalling. I get the system configured the way I want it and then a new version is released. (Which is great - dont get me wrong) I know it will happen again soon as 10.5.3 is coming any day now. Is anyone reinstalling from a method of an archive & install or using the tranfers wizard built into os x to keep the files progs and settings? Upgrading the system would be nice, and i do understand we're fortunate to have what we have now. Any advice is appreciated

crawle
03-25-2008, 12:37 AM
As far as I know, the ppf-Updates for the images are only compatibility-Updates. So if your system's working fine, you don't need the newest version of your image. As regards Apple System-Updates, there are guys like eddie, who release a Hack-Upgrade, which you can try on a test system (split your partition and clone it) and use it if it works on your main-system.

-crawle

crencom
03-25-2008, 12:44 AM
" CommentAuthorcrawle CommentTime2 minutes ago quote
As far as I know, the ppf-Updates for the images are only compatibility-Updates. So if your system's working fine, you don't need the newest version of your image. As regards Apple System-Updates, there are guys like eddie, who release a Hack-Upgrade, which you can try on a test system (split your partition and clone it) and use it if it works on your main-system.

-crawle "

I agree that if the system is solid stable, dont mess w/ it. Tough to do at times though as it's nice to have the most up to date version. I have actually cloned my install like you suggested. I twould be nice though to be able to transfer settings, apps etc when upgrading.

crawle
03-25-2008, 01:01 AM
No problem. Clone your hole partition, install the new Leopard on a seperate partition and at the first start select "Import data from another Device on this Mac". Select your cloned partition, check "Applications", "Personal Files" and so on. It will take a while, but it'll import your hole stuff to your new system. After that you can remove your "old" partition and add the free space to your new partition.

-crawle

crencom
03-25-2008, 01:03 AM
"No problem. Clone your hole partition, install the new Leopard on a seperate partition and at the first start select "Import data from another Device on this Mac". Select your cloned partition, check "Applications", "Personal Files" and so on. It will take a while, but it'll import your hole stuff to your new system. After that you can remove your "old" partition and add the free space to your new partition.

-crawle "

Thx - i will definitely try that on the next upgrade

scott

crawle
03-25-2008, 01:12 AM
But remember that you for splitting and resizing the GUID partition-scheme need!