PDA

View Full Version : How can I dual boot Windows Vista & Leopard on same Hard Drive but different partition?

WinLinMac01
04-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Does anyone know how I can install Windows Vista and Leopard on the SAME hard drive. I created one NTFS partition for Vista (MBR) and one HFS+ Extended Journal Partition for Leopard with MBR as well. I selected the dual bootloader option in Zephyroth's release, but after install is completed, I get the following message: "Missing OS" (after restart). What should I do? Please let me know. Thanks.
I am able to access Leopard if I leave the DVD in the drive, and am also able to see my other two Windows partitions. (C drive and one spare partition I created for backup). However, I can't boot Mac OSX without a disk, and when trying to fixboot my Windows installation, Windows Installation CD tells me that my volume is corrupt or in a unknown format. Whar should I do?

WinLinMac01
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

zuz242
04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
i had osx running alongside xp/vista on one disk.
at first i installed it on an external usb disk (for easy testing)
and moved the partition later on the internal disk/partition.
to get it booting (as the bios boot selection dosnt work with partitions)
i used easybcd to add the partition to the (vista)bootloader.

i have no experience of how to install directly on the partition, but adding to
the bootloader should work.

btw:
the order bootloaders work should be as follows (correct me if wrong):
1. bios bootloader / preference - which disk
2. loader on first partition on that disk (in most cases win mbr) - lets choose specific partitions
(even on other disks)
3. local loader on that partition - may be the osx darwin bootloader

pαuℓzurrr.
04-08-2008, 04:08 PM
You should try EasyBCD in vista, it will let you select Generix X86 PC (something like that :p) to add to the bootloader, which makes you able to dual boot vista and leopard.

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Mac+OS+X

There own howto ;)

WinLinMac01
04-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Okay, I plan on following the below. Thanks man.

OS X Before Windows Vista

The most common setup for users looking to get OS running on their PCs involves a pre-existing OS X installation followed by a Windows Vista install. In this case, the computer boots into the Windows Vista bootloader, and does not have an option to boot into OS X.

1. Fire-up EasyBCD, and navigate to the "Add/Remove Entries" screen.
2. Select "Mac OS X" from the tabs at the top.
3. From the platform drop-down list, select "Generic x86 Hardware"
4. If you wish to change the name from the default "NST Mac OS X," you may do so now.
5. Select "Auto-configure Mac Settings" and then hit "Add Entry" to finish up.

You can now reboot your PC, and select "NST Mac OS X" (or whatever you chose to call it) from the Vista bootloader. OS X should begin to boot immediately.

Ianxxx
04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
WinLinMac01:Okay, I plan on following the below. Thanks man.

The most common setup for users looking to get OS running on their PCs involves a pre-existing OS X installation followed by a Windows Vista install. In this case, the computer boots into the Windows Vista bootloader, and does not have an option to boot into OS X.

4. If you wish to change the name from the default "NST Mac OS X," you may do so now.

You can now reboot your PC, and select "NST Mac OS X" (or whatever you chose to call it) from the Vista bootloader. OS X should begin to boot immediately.
Will this work for Windows XP?

zuz242
04-08-2008, 11:15 PM
i guess easybcd only works with vista installed because a sole xp installation boots
old style with boot.ini, ntldr etc. here you have to edit the ini. search wiki for dualboot
and chain0.

WinLinMac01
04-08-2008, 11:23 PM
With Windows XP, I think it should still work because chain0 is supported. Isn't that so?

roisoft
04-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Leopard & Vista same HD with GUID

1. Boot into Leopard install dvd and open disk utility, click your HD you are makeing a Guid then click the partition tab click the drop down menu and select the number of partitions that you need, in my case i have used two, the first one for VISTA( Fat32), the second one for LEOPARD (Mac Os Extended (journaled)) then click options and select GUID, aply and reboot when itīs finished.

2. Boot into Vista install dvd and when you see the screen of disk selection, click the patición in fat32 and format in NTFS, then install Vista.

3. When vista finishes, boot into leopard DVD and install over the partition that you have created in the step 1.
Donīt forget select efi guid bootloader.

reboot and thatīs all, you donīt need touch the Vista bootloader youīll see Darwin with those options

- 1. hd (0,1)
- 2. hd (0,2) Foreign BOOT (VISTA)
- 3. hd (0,3) LEOPARD

WinLinMac01
04-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Roisoft thanks, but for efi guid bootloader, I don't have that option in revision 2. What should I do? please let me know. thanks. =)

roisoft:Leopard & Vista same HD with GUID

1. Boot into Leopard install dvd and open disk utility, click your HD you are makeing a Guid then click the partition tab click the drop down menu and select the number of partitions that you need, in my case i have used two, the first one for VISTA( Fat32), the second one for LEOPARD (Mac Os Extended (journaled)) then click options and select GUID, aply and reboot when itīs finished.

2. Boot into Vista install dvd and when you see the screen of disk selection, click the patición in fat32 and format in NTFS, then install Vista.

3. When vista finishes, boot into leopard DVD and install over the partition that you have created in the step 1.
Donīt forget select efi guid bootloader.

reboot and thatīs all, you donīt need touch the Vista bootloader youīll see Darwin with those options

- 1. hd (0,1)
- 2. hd (0,2) Foreign BOOT (VISTA)
- 3. hd (0,3) LEOPARD

WinLinMac01
04-09-2008, 01:46 AM
For the below options, would I need to choose GUID for Mac OSX or MBR, so that EasyBCD will autodetect the partition?

WinLinMac01:Okay, I plan on following the below. Thanks man.

roisoft
04-09-2008, 01:59 AM
You have 2 options for efi (Pc_efi is a bootloader) , GUID or MBR, select GUID.

WinLinMac01
04-09-2008, 02:00 AM
In the DVD? The only thing I see for the bootloader selection is single and dual boot. Are you referring to disk utility?

roisoft:You have 2 options for efi, GUID or MBR, select GUID.

WinLinMac01
04-09-2008, 02:14 AM
Thanks, will let you all know how it goes. =)

R0GUE
04-09-2008, 02:26 AM
I use the Darwin boot loader. XP on HD 0,0 (IDE MBR) and Leopard on HD 0,1 (EFI GUID) - works fine for me, though I never boot into XP :-)

WinLinMac01
04-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Hey, at least XP still works, right buddy? How about Vista? Thanks a lot. =)

R0GUE:I use the Darwin boot loader. XP on HD 0,0 (IDE MBR) and Leopard on HD 0,1 (EFI GUID) - works fine for me, though I never boot into XP :-)

WinLinMac01
04-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Seems like I'm getting an "Installation Failed" if I use GUID. Anyway I can do this if I use MBR? Can roisoft's method work with MBR instead of GUID? Please let me know. Thanks a lot for all of your support.

zuz242
04-09-2008, 11:30 AM
WinLinMac01:Seems like I'm getting an "Installation Failed" if I use GUID. Anyway I can do this if I use MBR? Can roisoft's method work with MBR instead of GUID? Please let me know. Thanks a lot for all of your support.
roisoft:You have 2 options for efi (Pc_efi is a bootloader) , GUID or MBR, select GUID.

in 10.5.2 R2 the installation of guid bootloader is broken, you have to install first without the bootloader and add it later by hand (check the wikis).

ToroLoco
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I have the same problem as well. I had already installed Vista on my 1st partition and then formated the 2nd partition by Disk Utility and installed Leopard with Dual Boot option and Vista Bootloader.

When I have the 2nd partition active and without the dvd I get a "Missing Operating System" error, but with the dvd in I can normally boot into Leopard. If I have the 1st partition active (Vista) I can boot into Vista. I have entered with EasyBCD dual boot option in Vista Bootloader but when I choose Leopard from the menu I get "Chain Booting Error". If I try to boot with 1st partition active with the DVD in I go to the installation procees.

I am really stuck I have tested Leopard and works like a charm (VGA, Sound, Lan, even Time machine) but since I also use Vista I need a working solution for dual boot and without to format my drive and install both from the beginning.

If I install Leopard on another disk will this be an option for dual boot?

Any help will be highly appreciated

roisoft
04-09-2008, 02:11 PM
zuz242:
in 10.5.2 R2 the installation of guid bootloader is broken, you have to install first without the bootloader and add it later by hand (check the wikis).

ur right :)

@Toroloco try this

boot into Vista install DVD and go to command prompt (repair install...) and type :

(I assume that Vista is the first partition of disk 0 and leopard is the second)

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 1

active

exit

bootrec /RebuildBCD (answer yes to the question)

diskpart

select partition 2

active

exit

reboot

WinLinMac01
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
What about GUID? How would I rectify that? Any way I can use MBR instead?

With Grub, can I configure Mac OSX to use MBR? I think this would work. What do you all think? Let me know, thanks.

ToroLoco
04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
roisoft: zuz242:

ur right :)

@Toroloco try this

boot into Vista install DVD and go to command prompt (repair install...) and type :

(I assume that Vista is the first partition of disk 0 and leopard is the second)

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition 1

active

exit

bootrec /RebuildBCD (answer yes to the question)

diskpart

select partition 2

active

exit

reboot

Well I tried that and it didn't do anything.

When I typed "bootred /RebuildBCD" it wrote that no windows installation found and didn't asked me anything in orde to reply "Yes".

I have made 4 time installation of Leopard, in case I did something wrong, but now I am sure that I didn't do anything wrong.

I will make a try now from Leopard installation DVD and the 'sudo" procedure and if I don't succeed again I will abandon the tries and stick as it is and maybe in the future format my drive and make fresh install of both systems.