PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot of Vista and Leopard in same hd.

ToroLoco
04-13-2008, 03:47 PM
I am trying a long time now to have a dual booting system with Vista and Leopard. I have already installed Vista and I have installed later Leopard.

Until now I haven't succeed to enable dual booting on my system and even Ihaven't succeed to boot to Leopard without the installation DVD.

I have decided to start from the beginning and make clean install for both systems Vista and Leopard in the same drive in different partitions.

What is the best guid that I can use which is going to be 100% working since I don't want to spend one day with installations of operating systems and software and not working at the end.

ToroLoco
04-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Since I can't get a working reply for dual boot, can someone give my the below info.

Please advice the way that I can change the active partition from MAC terminal, in order not to have to put the Vista installation DVD in order to change it.

Thanks

monsieur.d
04-13-2008, 04:45 PM
There is a way to dual boot XP (I know you want Vista, but this might work) and Mac OS X using Windows´ boot loader. If you have both systems installed, use this tutorial: http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howto-the-complete-mac-leopard-installation-and-windows-multi-boot-setup-guide/

The trick is `tboot´, that allows you to boot Mac OS X from Windows Boot Loader.

D.

laxattack
04-13-2008, 07:46 PM
one question is this going to be on the same hard drive or 2 different ones?

your best bet with booting with the vista boot loader is use easybcd, it is simple as can be to add an OS to the windows bootloader

WinLinMac01
04-13-2008, 08:47 PM
laxattack, the problem is that the default os that darwin boots is Windows NTFS. I want it to boot Leopard by default anytime I select Leopard from the Windows bootloader. It seems like I ran out of options. I also tried GRUB by installing sabayon linux, and the same issue appears. Is there any way I can make darwin boot Leopard by default (without me pressign enter and selecting the appropriate O/S), instead of Windows Vista? Please let me know thanks. I will be posting a screenshot of what I mean in the next post.

WinLinMac01
04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
never mind, I just fixed it (now I have mac osx, windows on one disk) all I did was the following is -s mode.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
flag 1
write
quit
reboot

that's all =)

ToroLoco
04-13-2008, 11:25 PM
I have made previous post in another discussion in the forum, that I have tried easyBCD, sudo within the Leo install DVD, format my disk partition my disk with Guid and mbr, but no luck at all with dual boot.

So since it seams impossible to configure my pc to dual boot, so instead of this I can change each time the active partition and boot to the other OS, but I don't know how to I do this within Leopard from Terminal.

ToroLoco
04-13-2008, 11:26 PM
WinLinMac01:never mind, I just fixed it (now I have mac osx, windows on one disk) all I did was the following is -s mode.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
flag 1
write
quit
reboot

that's all =)

What was exactly your problem? Maybe you can give me a working solution.

WinLinMac01
04-14-2008, 10:27 PM
SOLUTION for Dual/Triple booting Mac OS X, Windows, Linux (All distributions)
This tutorial is subject to future revisions by WinLinMac01
===========
IMPORTANT (Backup up all existing data before proceeding with the procedures below)
Tutorial created by: WinLinMac01

1). Download and Burn a bootable copy of Acronis Disk Director

2). Assuming that your hard drive is fully formated with zeros, insert your Mac OS X DIsk and press ENTER when the disk starts up.

3). Select your language and in the next screen, go into Disk Utility.

4). Create one HFS+ Journaled partition dedicated to Mac OS X.

5). For the remaining space, set that as Free Space--> Before you commit the changes, in options, choose the MBR Partitioning Scheme.

6). Quit Disk Utility, and quit the installer.

7). Now, insert your Acronis Disk, and go into disk's safe mode when the menu appears.

8). You will see the already created Mac OS X partition, but the remaining Free Space is unallocated.

9). Create one NTFS partition using that Free Space, This NTFS partition is only for Vista/XP. Create other necessary partitions after setup is successfully completed. (NOTE: If you are planning to use Linux, you will have to leave some Free Space, Do NOT create an Ext3 partition YET)

10). Now is the time to reinsert your Mac OS X DVD.

11). Select the appropriate packages and install on the OS X partition you created.

12). After installation, heres a tip, you can quit the registration by simply doing Command-Q.

13). After configuring your post-installation, it is optional if you want to install the latest kernel, 9.2.2.

14). The main thing now, is to go into disk utility again, and format the NTFS partition you created for Windows Vista as FAT (MS-DOS).

15). Now it is time to insert your Windows Vista DVD.

16). When you get into the partition selection, highlight the partition you created in Disk Utility (FAT). Format that partition as NTFS.

17). Now you should be able to install Windows Vista without any problems. Note that this will overwrite the existing MBR that Mac OS X configured initially.

FOR USERS DUAL BOOTING JUST MAC & WINDOWS ON ONE DISK READ BELOW, FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO TRIPLE BOOT, SKIP THE FOLLOWING STEPS, AND RESUME AFTER STEP 21)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18). After installation is complete, and after confirming that your installation is successful, restart and insert your Mac OS X DVD.

19). Instead of Booting of the DVD, press F8 and boot with -s.

20). To use the Darwin bootloader, you will have to write a new MBR. Follow the commands below-

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
flag 1
write
yes
quit
reboot

21). Now after reboot, you should see the Darwin bootloader active again, and when you press enter, Windows NTFS will be the foreign O/S installed on your system in addition to Mac OS X. By default, after 8 seconds, Darwin should boot off the Mac OS X partition. However, you can always select the Windows Vista partition anytime you have to access that O/S.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22). Insert your Linux DVD after you are done installing Windows Vista

23). Follow the prompts as you go along until you select your leftover unpartitioned HD space.

24). Create an Ext3 partition for this installation, instead of swap.

25). Proceed to the bootloader configuration, and select GRUB.

26). If Mac OS X is not on the configuration list, add the boot information manually by going into "edit" or "add."

27). After doing this, GRUB will automatically detect your Mac OS X partition and add it to the grub.conf file after the installation is complete. You really don't have to edit the .conf file, only if you want to change the appearance of the name, timeout seconds, and the default O/S to boot into.

28). Proceed with the installation for Linux (any distribution).

29). After installation is complete, you SHOULD be able to see three options to choose from the GRUB bootloader list.

30). Windows Vista will be displayed as Other, unless you change this manually to Microsoft Windows Vista manually in the grub.conf file.

If you are going to tri-boot Mac OS X, Windows Vista, and Linux, do steps 18-21 in Darwin after selecting Mac OS X Leopard from the GRUB Bootloader. That way, by default, the Darwin will boot Leopard instead of Windows Vista. Because chances are the default value may be set to Vista. Therefore, performing those steps should resolve your problem if you face any.
================================================== ============

After all of these procedures are completed, you should be able to enjoy and the most of your system on just one hard drive.

I hope this helps, and this tutorial once again was written by me, WinLinMac01. =))

-- Enjoy

ToroLoco
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
@WinLinMac01 - I show you new discussion, but will this works if intead of making a fresh installation of Vista will restore an image of them with Ghost?

Since I hate installing all the software and drivers from the beginning.

WinLinMac01
04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
That should work according to the way you are phrasing things out. Just make sure you restore that image on the your desginated NTFS partition. Visit the Leo4All wiki, as the directions are listed there too, just cleaned some sections out.

ToroLoco:@WinLinMac01 - I show you new discussion, but will this works if intead of making a fresh installation of Vista will restore an image of them with Ghost?

Since I hate installing all the software and drivers from the beginning.

ToroLoco
04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Will Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 do the job?

Also you don't mention how will be the partition of the disk Guid or mbr? Also from the customization menu of Leopard shall we install the dual boot option or single boot?

thx

WinLinMac01
04-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh, thanks for reminding me. Yes, use MBR partition scheme. And DO NOT choose the dual boot option. Use Single boot, MBR bootloader. All should work then. Acronis Disk Director will not do the job for Mac OS X. You will need to use that utility only for creating a new partition for Windows Vista. Nothing more. Hope this helps buddy. =)

ToroLoco:Will Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 do the job?

Also you don't mention how will be the partition of the disk Guid or mbr? Also from the customization menu of Leopard shall we install the dual boot option or single boot?

thx

ToroLoco
04-16-2008, 06:33 PM
thx for the reply WinLinMac01 I will try this on the weekend and reply if something went wrong.

Have you tested the 9.2.2 kernel? does it work ok?

WinLinMac01
04-17-2008, 02:47 AM
The latest kernel works FLAWLESSLY. =))

Enjoy

ToroLoco:thx for the reply WinLinMac01 I will try this on the weekend and reply if something went wrong.

Have you tested the 9.2.2 kernel? does it work ok?

ToroLoco
04-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Well I have made it to have dual boot, without touching the Vista Partition. I just installed with single boot with MBR in the new partition, then repaired the Vista MBR and added with easyBCD the dual option menu. It boots in both systems without any problem and without the need of the Leopard DVD.

Then I tried to upgrade to 9.2.2 but I got kernel panic, so I downgrade it again to 9.0.2 that was installed. I will dig a bit about this and try again.

Now I have some other issues, Toast doesn't seems to work. I have tried both 8 & 9 Titanium releases but both hang and stops responding. Is any know issue about toast?

WinLinMac01
04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Did you use the kernel installer method from pcwiz?

Also when you press enter in the darwin bootloader, what is the default partition that is highlighted? You know there is a way to make it boot into Leopard by default without selecting the appropriate partition you know. =)

ToroLoco:Well I have made it to have dual boot, without touching the Vista Partition. I just installed with single boot with MBR in the new partition, then repaired the Vista MBR and added with easyBCD the dual option menu. It boots in both systems without any problem and without the need of the Leopard DVD.

Then I tried to upgrade to 9.2.2 but I got kernel panic, so I downgrade it again to 9.0.2 that was installed. I will dig a bit about this and try again.

Now I have some other issues, Toast doesn't seems to work. I have tried both 8 & 9 Titanium releases but both hang and stops responding. Is any know issue about toast?

ToroLoco
04-18-2008, 06:58 PM
@ WinLinMac01 I know that I can boot directly to Leopard, but I want to have as primary the Vista partition since my wise is using it...

Then For the kernel update I used the manual copy and paste method. I will try later the pcwiz and kext helper and I will post back if it succeed.

Do you know anything about the Toast app?

WinLinMac01
04-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Not a problem.
I would recommend using Toast Titanium 9. That appears to work the best with most of our AMD systems. =)

ToroLoco:@ WinLinMac01 I know that I can boot directly to Leopard, but I want to have as primary the Vista partition since my wise is using it...

Then For the kernel update I used the manual copy and paste method. I will try later the pcwiz and kext helper and I will post back if it succeed.

Do you know anything about the Toast app?

ToroLoco
04-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Basicaly I have tried it but it's not working.

How Do I see if the update of the kernel was successful, since I have tried the pcwiz and kext helperr did the restart with -f -v but I don't know if the update was ok.

WinLinMac01
04-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Go to system profiler (about this mac-->more info) and point your cursor towards software. If it say's 9.2.2, then you are on the role. =)

ToroLoco:Basicaly I have tried it but it's not working.

How Do I see if the update of the kernel was successful, since I have tried the pcwiz and kext helperr did the restart with -f -v but I don't know if the update was ok.

ToroLoco
04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
The update was not ok. Still using the old kernel. When I try to make the update "by hand" on the restart my system has Kernel Panics.