PDA

View Full Version : Installed Zephs Leopard 10.5.2 REV.2 but windows bootloader doesnt give me option to BOOT to Leopard

Devil In Disguise
04-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi,

i just installed Zeph's Leopard 10.5.2 REV.2, but windows bootloader doesnt give me option to boot into Leopard..

any ideas?

Thanx..

xx66stangxx
04-21-2008, 09:43 AM
when you partitioned your hdd did you pick GUID and when in the installed did you pick GUID bootloader?
same goes for did you pick MBR when you partitioned your hdd and picked MBR bootloader during installation?

WinLinMac01
04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
The chain0 method does not work in this release. It was told and confirmed. Consider EasyBCD instead.

milanca
04-22-2008, 03:30 AM
WinLinMac01 i am using chain0 method for my 10.5.2 rev.2 installation and it's working fine. I used it on 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 rev.1. It was working everytime, manually added chain0 to vista boot loader.

Devil In Disguise, what is your system configuration?

Devil In Disguise
04-22-2008, 06:48 AM
DFI Lan Party NF4 ULTRA-D
AMD 3000 Venice
160 GB SATA Seagate
256 MB 7600GT EVGA
1GB Corsair XMS

i did select DUAL BOOT - Windows Bootloader in the installer.. plus i just reinstalled and same issue..

EasyBCD is for vista.. ive got XP installed currently..

how do i fix this???

Devil In Disguise
04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
i tried the chain0 method plus ive tried this as well --- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=6890

when i use the boot manager from extended fdisk and try to boot to leopard it says invalid operating system..

any ideas???

Devil In Disguise
04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
is there an issue with selecting the dual boot - windows boot loader in REV2 ????

Devil In Disguise
04-22-2008, 11:10 PM
bump

ok wat if i choose the single boot - guid boot loader? can i still boot back into xp later by using a boot manager??

WinLinMac01
04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Chances are, that will not work. But heres an idea, install Windows XP first, and then on another partition or hard drive, install Mac OS X. From there type the following, and you should have a dual boot configuration regardless.

Boot DVD with F8 -s
type:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
flag 1
write
quit
reboot

and when the Darwin bootlioader appears you should have two options when you press ENTER--> Look something like this,

1). MacintoshHD(Whatever the name of your Leopard partition is)
2). Windows NTFS (Windows XP or Vista)

You can select either partition and boot into your desired operating system.

There you have it, a dual boot configuration.

Let me know how it goes. - Cheers! =)

Devil In Disguise:bump

ok wat if i choose the single boot - guid boot loader? can i still boot back into xp later by using a boot manager??

Devil In Disguise
04-23-2008, 03:06 AM
tried it.. no darwin bootloader or none for that matter.. just booted back straight into xp..

any ideas??

smileyme
04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I use GRUB as my bootloader. There is a boot CD called "Super GRUB" which should be able to setup GRUB on your Windows XP.

Rick :)

WinLinMac01
04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
I used to use Sabayon Linux, so I decided to throw that back into my system. So now I have a tri-boot, Mac OS X Leopard, Windows Vista, and Sabayon Linux. I am using the GRUB that comes with Sabayon Linux. Works great! - Cheers! =)

smileyme:I use GRUB as my bootloader. There is a boot CD called "Super GRUB" which should be able to setup GRUB on your Windows XP.

Rick :)

milanca
04-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I am using Vista paralelly with Mac OS X, never tried with with XP though. I had some problems with GUID partition table so I am using MBR partition table and MBR boot sector, this way chain0 method works flawlessly for me.

@Devil In Disguise you should maybe give it a try and format your hard drive (for mac os x) with mbr partition table and install mbr boot from leopard installation.

WinLinMac01
04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I agree, reformat and use the mbr partition table instead.
=)
milanca:I am using Vista paralelly with Mac OS X, never tried with with XP though. I had some problems with GUID partition table so I am using MBR partition table and MBR boot sector, this way chain0 method works flawlessly for me.

@Devil In Disguise you should maybe give it a try and format your hard drive (for mac os x) with mbr partition table and install mbr boot from leopard installation.

Devil In Disguise
04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
as i had xp first, am i not on the MBR partition table with MBR boot sector? i think i am as i had xp first.. pls correct me if im wrong..

xx66stangxx
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Have you tried installing just Zephyroth's Leopard? on single boot

zuz242
04-24-2008, 02:09 PM
some questions for a start:
1. i assume is it 2 partitions on on hdd? (not two different harddisks for the two operating systems)
2. i assume you did use mbr partiton scheme?

notes
1. if osx would reside on a seperate hdd, esp. an external usb one, it would be hassle free to install and
experiment. and one can use the bios bootloader. worth a consideration if u got a chaep external disk
lying around.
2. guid would brake win xp when used on same drive and can not incorporated
in vista bootloader.
(and guid bootloader is broken on r2, has to be fixed manually)
so mbr is the way to go (beware, diskutil sometimes has guid as default)

did you read:
http://osx86leo4all.wikidot.com/how-to-s#toc5 (with the solution winlinmac mentioned)
making partition bootable: http://osx86.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc3
reinstall the efi bootloader manually, see: http://osx86leo4all.wikidot.com/how-to-s#toc5

btw: can you boot into osx if you use the dvd to boot?

WinLinMac01
04-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Yes its MBR if Windows XP is already installed, but Mac OS X can by default install its own partition table if you don't change it manually in the disk utility. Mac OS X by default uses GUID.

Devil In Disguise:as i had xp first, am i not on the MBR partition table with MBR boot sector? i think i am as i had xp first.. pls correct me if im wrong..

Devil In Disguise
04-25-2008, 06:43 AM
well ive tried using boot managers like from extended fdsik to try to boot into leopard n i got "invalid operating system"

plus i tried -

Boot DVD with F8 -s
type:
fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
flag 1
write
quit
reboot
& it still didnt work.. it just booted straight back into xp..

seems like leopard only seems to work well on seperate hard drives or first installs on a HD then can try to install xp..

WinLinMac01
04-25-2008, 07:42 AM
May be you should start all over, and backup your existing data, then start from scratch and follow the procedures I gave for a dual boot configuration. Try it and let me know. =)

Devil In Disguise:well ive tried using boot managers like from extended fdsik to try to boot into leopard n i got "invalid operating system"

plus i tried -

Boot DVD with F8 -s
type:
fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
flag 1
write
quit
reboot

n it still didnt work.. it just booted straight back into xp..

seems like leopard only seems to work well on seperate hard drives or first installs on a HD then can try to install xp..

zuz242
04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
zuz242:
btw: can you boot into osx if you use the dvd to boot?
you can boot with the dvd up to the point when the installations starts
and choose via menue / bootupvolume (or something similiar) to boot from
a specific partition. -> using dvd as bootloader...

Devil In Disguise
04-26-2008, 07:18 AM
how do i use dvd as bootloader??

Devil In Disguise
04-27-2008, 02:32 AM
bump

zephyroth
04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
All you have to do is to put it in your dvd drive, boot from it and wait for the countdown to be finished. If your partition is active you should be able to boot on it.

WinLinMac01
04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
If it's not active, follow the directions on the previous page. fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0, etc, so on and so forth. You may need to rewrite the MBR, which should (notice the should), put Windows under Darwin bootloader as well.

zephyroth:All you have to do is to put it in your dvd drive, boot from it and wait for the countdown to be finished. If your partition is active you should be able to boot on it.

Devil In Disguise
04-28-2008, 04:16 AM
how to rewrite MBR? cos i dont get the darwin bootloader at all. and when i boot from the dvd, just gives me the option to get into the installer even after making the partition active.

Devil In Disguise
04-28-2008, 04:45 AM
if i make leopard partiton active and xp inactive.. i get "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM"

Tried to rewrite MBR.. it didnt help.. i get no bootloader.. just boots into xp..

i booted into a bootable cd for active partition recovery (data backup) where it gives info on all partitions and for the leopard partition is said "error reading sector # 0 or boot sector is invalid"

i also booted into a bootable cd for partition table doctor and there i found this abt the partitions --

Partion cylinder Head Start
XP 0 1 1
leopard 1362 0 1

i hope this helps u to help me..

thanx..

Devil In Disguise
04-29-2008, 04:08 AM
bump

Devil In Disguise
05-01-2008, 03:56 AM
ok wat if i select the single boot option?? even when i have xp already installed on my first partition?? do u think ill get the bootloader that way?? n should be able to boot into leopard???

demigod
04-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Download Boot132.Burn a cd and use that to boot into leopard and then install chameleon. This helped me once.Make sure mac partition is active

Open terminal after installation of Chameleon
sudo -s
*enter your password*
fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
p ( Check mac partition is active or not ) if not make it active by: flag 1
quit
reboot

Boot132 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288
Chameleon - http://chameleon.osx86.hu/static/some-words-about-donation?ref=file_download/7/Chameleon-1.0.11-src.tar.gz

good luck !

InteliMacPro
04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I was having an issue not being able to get back to my OS X install on a second drive. I went into my bios and changed my HDD boot priority to boot the OS X disk first. That allowed me to see my darwin bootloader but no windows option (on the other HDD). I booted into OS X and installed the Chameleon 2.0 beta, restarted, and BAM! Everything showed up in the bootloader. Beautiful. I almost cried.