Thread: Lion with AMD
View Single Post

Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioneer View Post
Any chance there's a way to get lion onto my machine?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
ASUS Crosshair V Formula (990 chip)
ASUS AMD Radeon HD 6950 2gb
Onboard Realtek HD Audio OR Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium if that can be used.
Intel Gbit LAN
16gb Ram

My goal is to just have a VM and allocate like 4gb ram and 2 processor cores and full video acceleration. I got Snow leopard to work a LONG time ago but I can't for the life of me remember how or what resources I used.

Anyone know if it will work/one comprehensive (or a little less comprehensive, I can think and work my around things ok given enough time and patience) tutorial? I have a retail 10.6.0 disk, and an image of 10.7.3 from my friends' thumbdrive (don't have access to the computer anymore so I can't really mod the iso and have to install from retail).

I just kinda reverted to noob status after being successful about.. 1 1/2 years ago? it worked on a different mobo with same gfx but that was the old 770 chip so dunno if 990 will work. also should I turn on VM cpu setting in BIOS? I disabled as i wasnt using it at the time and was overclocking.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and even more thanks in advance for replies! Ready to provide more details on system or whathaveyou upon request.
VT-x/AMD-V in BIOS should be enabled.
You won't get full hardware acceleration working within a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox etc.). You can give it video graphics acceleration but it will not do anything since it just doesn't enable QE/CI. You will be able to get a simple installation running, with any of the guides listed already, but you won't be able to run programs like Final Cut Pro / XCODE *compiling*, Flash (Latest relies on hardware acceleration) and Quick Time. Depends what you want to do with the Virtual Machine really.

But as of now there is nothing you can do to enable QE/CI within a VM, and you could never do that in Snow Leopard either, I don't know why you mentioned that. VirtualBox was working on some guest package, but it's been a long time and I don't think that'll ever really make it work completely.

The same guides applies to VM, you'll need the same kernel and installation method. You'll need a pre-existing Snow Leopard copy and then just attach another dynamic disk and install Lion onto there. (Follow Guides), then change the vdi so you'll load the Lion disk and it'll just work like normal.