Thread: Lion with AMD
View Single Post

Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by R:A:W:X86 View Post
It appears to be launchd that makes use of SSSE3, which is actualy open-source (I haven't yet looked it up) - but even if we could patch it, there might be other (closed source) parts of the OS that make use of that instructions set, so an emulator might be the way to go.

One disadvantage would of course be that using an emulation will decrease peformance a little...

Yes these methods are still present.

For SSE3 Emulation INT 6h is overwritten with the adress of the interrupt handler, that passes the adress of the bad opcode to the actuall emulator that returns the emulation methods to the application and restores registers - principally the Kernel integration of a new emulator could be done the same way...

For details check it's whitepaper:
http://xnu-dev.googlecode.com/files/SSE3%20Emulator.pdf

Someone around here who has an enslaved asm guru locked-up in the basement?!^^

The latest Kernel that I posted should no longer panic on version mismatch between Kernel & SleepEnabler.kext - no need to update that kext unless you want the warning to be removed from dmesg.
Thank you very much, R:A:W:X86 =) I want to have some fun trying to do something with that. Who knows...

I will not care about performance issues atm, just want to get it working, if it does, then I'll try to optimize.