Thread: Retro Computing
View Single Post

Old 05-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naquaada View Post
These are pictures of my favourite C64 demo 'Deus Ex Machina' from Creat/oyron. You can see it in action here and here. Remember, it's running on a machine with less than 1 MHz (985 kHz to be exact), 9 K video RAM and one 5,25" disk with only 330K! Everything is pure assembler programming, 3D-scaling, multitasking (playing music, gfx animation, disk loading), and the cola bottle animation is calculated in realtime!

Here's another version, different quality. By the way, the pic in the upper right is using the UIFLI mode - this means Underlaid Interlace Flexible Line Interpretation. And it's really so difficult to program as the name sounds
Yeah the 6510 or 6502 weren't particulary strong CPU's...
They were designed in such a way that they were cheap (which lead to the so called "unofficial instructions" which are mostly just a mix of some instructions...)
The 64K of memory had to be used really efficient...
If you think this is hard programming... just look at a programming manual of the Philips CD-I...
It had the bigger bother of the commodore's CPU (68000) and ran OS8 (nothing to do with Apple).
It also had some advanced modes of programming there too (including interlaced mode) but the custom CD's where very hard to implement...
I once stripped the music of a CD-I for a friend (and had to learn all I could of the device to do so...)