Thread: Retro Computing
View Single Post

Old 05-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naquaada View Post
Yep, I know the unofficial intructions as 'illegal opcodes'. They even may vary inside the processor series, so it <could> be possible that programs using them run one one computer but not on another. But C64 software is very good programmed, there are nearly no compatibility problems although there were at least 5 board revisions and 2 revisions of the C128 (which had an inbuilt C64-mode).

Don't know about the CD-I... I think it came st the same time as Commodore's CD32 which already had a 32bit-68EC020 and the Amiga AGA chipset. But it wasn't able to play video CDs like the CD-I, only with an external module. It was the first 32bit video game console on the market (the most people don't know this) and was fully upgradeable to a real Amiga, that was the main advantage. I still preferred the CDTV, it was fantastic... I still have two, with SCSI-controller, black keyboard and infrared mouse. But the CDTV came too early - the people had no idea what do with a remote-controlled computer containing a CD-ROM which should be placed into the living-room... nowadays everyone wants to do this. But the hardware was really criminal. The single-speed caddy CD-ROM was a complete CD-Player, with components from Technics on it. You could play CDs with it even when the 68000 was removed, crazy. A friend developed hardware for the CDTV, I often heard his curses about that thing
Yeah me too... it depends on the 68XX model...
Note: The C64's main CPU can be replaced with a 32-bit 68XX compatible...
Yeah it's quite a cool console for the time...