View Single Post

Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Puma

iAtkos v7 on Acer Aspire 5810T

Hi, Ratitude,
as far as I see, you've repeating my steps just a month after me . Here is what I did until now, results were encouraging but not excellent, I'm telling here hoping will save you time.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5810T (no 3G module) European version bought in July 2009. I had a pre-installed Windows Vista Home Premium that I didn't want to remove, and a 20Gb Linux on a second partition that used very rarely, and so I wanted to put Mac on the second one.

At first I got Kalyway 10.5.1 and installation seemed to go fine but in fact never booted correctly, I fixed many problems but had to surrender in front of "HFS+ Partition Error". Yes, I've read some tips & tricks to solve it but none of them worked (and I was tired of the trial/error cycle).

Then I decided to try with iAtkos v7, which really seemed better. After two or three attempts of install I think I've found the closest set of options to the best possible on this laptop.

After your iAtkos DVD boots you should get to Customize... and set the following options:
- Leave all the default choices that are already checked
- Add USB support only, NOT the other suggested (3 in 1 memory card, etc), only USB
- Add the first ACHI driver (unlike Kalyway, with iAtkos you don't have to change the SATA controller mode from the BIOS, you just put the dvd and boot)
- Add PS/2 handler with trackpad support
- Under Kernel, check the highest version, the second one
- Add support for Laptop battery
- Add support for Intel Processor Stepping mode (throttle, etc)
- I also added Network (wired), Intel Gigabit driver, but it didn't work, perhaps it's better to leave it out
FIXES:
- I had EasyBCD under Windows to manage dual boot. I added Chameleon v2 under the Mac partition, now my first boot is Win dual boot, then it jumps to the mac partition and I see the Chameleon screen, allowing (for a second time) to move back into windows or, as default, boot Mac OS. I think you'd probably find a simplest solution (Chameleon in the first place, for example, with no windows menu, but for the moment it's fine like this).
- Native screen resolution fix as explained here: www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173338

RESULTS:
What I tested and works out of the box:
- Trackpad and keyboard, OK
- USB ports OK, so pen drives OK.
- Screen resolution OK (now it shows several screen res. available, not only 1024x768)
- HAIWEI USB Internet Key was installed automatically, the 3g provider put Mac drivers on it, but cannot connect from the software given with the key.
Connecting from the Mac works fine, I had to configure manually the number to call, but worked fine. (In fact in the meantine I applied a patch, a package E220.dmg with drivers for a newer model)
Reading forums about HUAWEI I found that it's a very common issue not related to iAtkos or Kalyway but to the Mac itself. Our Italian 3 provider has apparently distributed a buggy version of the software.
Absolutely OK (be warned, by using the Mac connection utility you can't tell when in roaming)
- Webcam, seems to work but didn't test it in depth (I think it's internally connected as USB device) OK
- Power management ok, reacts immediately to power supply plug/unplug. OK
- Sound, Yeah! OK
- Memory card 5 in 1 slot, OK
- Bluetooth, OK (In fact it didn't work until I realised that I had to enable it with Fn+F3, exactly the same as in windows mode) so...
- Soft Acer keys (FN + F2 (?) NO, F3 (bluetooht) sometimes YES (check better), F4 (Sleep) NO, F5 () NO, F6 (turn off screen) YES, F8 (mute/unmute) YES, Volume up/down YES, Brightness left/right YES) I'd say OK.
- Mounting/unmounting the Windows partition OK
- Opening 3gp videos from my cell phone (iTunes), OK
- Listening mp3 files (with iTunes), OK
What I tested but doesn't work:
- LAN support
- Wireless lan support
- Opening DIVX file, a message appears telling you should download something, maybe it's easy to fix
- Microphone... seems not to work
What I haven't tested yet:
- Video acceleration (as told above, cell phone videos look perfect, but it should be tested with a bigger frame/higher frame rate)
So as you may see, the final score is very high, most of the functions I used, (excluding LAN), work fine with no or little effort. The system performance is remarkable, boots and shutdowns in
a flash. I'm really impressed with "my new toy" (as my wife named it

Right now I'm trying to add the Atheros (or Attansic, I'm getting contradictory information) LAN and WLAN driver... let you know later.

Last edited by mesco64; 05-28-2010 at 04:38 PM.