View Single Post

Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Cheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwiz View Post
iPC will have NO customizations. No changed bg, no changed About this Mac, just retail Leopard as it should be. Believe me, I don't like customizations either. Takes away from the experience of using Leopard. The DVD uses the official Chameleon installer package on the Chameleon site to install the bootloader onto the partition and I'm pretty sure it marks the partition as active, although that will need further testing to confirm.

ALthough all authors of various flavors of OSX86 are brilliant in their own rights, your work alone in OSX86 Tools inspires confidence. I have been only in this hobby for 3 months for evryday but let me tell you about my experience.
I started out with 1 motherboard that is least compatible (but always containing Intel chipset) and gradually moving to as close to Vanilla acceptable as possible for all the patched installs were broken after a major update. But the road to a successful Retail DVD install is not as clear cut or easy as choosing one of the distros to install. People in the Boot132 forum are so less helpful, partly because they know a lot about OSX86 already and the other part is they assume everybody who's doing Boot132 eventually succeeds. Well, not all motherboards are the same when it comes to BIOS firmware and the one nagging problem with retail install is how to overcome kernel panic stemming from cpu power management and all the return values of the PCI-E/PCI bus devices during boot.
So a true to Vanilla distro would be a huge step forward in that if it fails to load, one has to go back to BIOS setup to tweak things here and there until it's right.
Or wait a few months till all motherboards sport EFI. But by then Apple may go back to TPM. Oh well, we always test until we find a workaround solution.
Thank you PCWiz for never ceasing to getting involved.