View Single Post

Old 07-17-2008, 02:06 PM

3. Creating the first Backup

If you think the system is fine, restart and boot into the Leopard partition using the Darwin boot selector. Note: You can easily see from which partition you booted: The drive icon is always on the top. Start Disk Utility and select the Recovery partition. Now use either the button 'New image' from the toolbar or use it in the menu 'File -> New -> Disk Image from diskXs2 (Recovery)'. Now a save requester opens. If you don't have the path options, use the triangle right to the file name.

The image format 'compressed' is selected by default. If you use Onyx and activate the hidden Disk Utility options you'll get a bzip2-compression which is much more effective. Now select the Shared partition and best create a folder 'Disk Images' on it. Save the image in there, name is f.e. '10.5.x Recovery 1' and/or the date. I only use a number because at the beginning you create more than one version at one day.

The generating on the image can take a while depending on the partition size and your processor. After it's successfully finished, select in the Disk Utility's menu the option 'Images -> Scan Image for Restore'. This option is neccessary in Leopard, in Tiger you didn't need it. It checks the image if its valid. If there was an error during the check, try again to create an image. If this also wasn't working, try the repair option of the Disk Utility or boot back into the Recovery partition and use Onyx. But I only had once error at all on more than 20 backups, and it worked correctly after the second try. A compressed image from this installation (which is about 7 Gig or more) should be about 2,5 GB, so it would easily fit on a DVD.

2 Opteron systems: OSx86 10.5.8, Andy's 9.8.0 kernel, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Opteron 185 o'clocked @ 2 x 2,95 GHz (2nd system 2.6 GHz), ATI Radeon HD2600XT 256MB Dual-Monitor 2x HP L2035, 4 GB RAM, Griffin FireWave as main audio device, Marvell + nForce LAN, Asus U3S6 USB3/SATA6 card, 5,5 TB harddisk, Firewire 800 card, Apple Remote + eHome IR receiver, 2x Wacom serial graphics tablet, Canon Pixma iP4700, Logitech Internet Navigator wireless keyboard/mouse combination.

My Audio stuff: M-Audio Transit USB (default audio), M-Audio ProFire 610, M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge (34 channels) using Creamware A16 ADAT converter MIDI: M-Audio Midiman 4x MIDI interfaceBehringer Audio Mixers: Xenyx 1002, Xenyx 1002FX, Xenyx 1202FX, Eurorack UB1002FX, Eurorack MX1804FX, Eurorack MX262A • FX devices: Lexicon MPX100 DSP, Behringer DSP-1000 Virtualizer, Behringer MiniFEX 800 DSP, Behringer Multicom Pro MDX4400 compressor RETRO: MSSIAH midi/sequencer/synthesizer cardridge for the C64 (Dual-SID), Steinberg M.S.I. MIDI Interface for C64