View Single Post

Old 12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Cheetah

It is a really nice guide, still i think we need to encourage people to use the Terminal as it can greatly speed up all of your OSx86 hacking needs without the need to ever copy a file around.

Just load up terminal.app and enter:
sudo -s
then enter you password.

To edit a file use pico, it's installed by default with OSX and it's pretty easy to use (instructions are at the bottom of the screen.

So if I wanted to edit com.apple.Boot.plist I would type:
pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

You can always TAB in the terminal, so when you filling in a path type the first few letters of the folder/file (it's CaSe sensitive) then hit tab, it will auto fill the name.

Also to do a repair permissions you don't even have to open disk utility, just type:
diskutil repairPermissions /

Instead of "/" you can enter the path to the volume you want to test so "/Volumes/Recovery" for example.

just some more hints cause in OSX the Terminal is your friend!

However - I do not like your policy on data back up, or the lack of a policy. Always back up your files onto a separate disk. A USB 500GB drive is about $130 these days so just go and spend the cash. I'm constantly reminded of the old saying:

'There are two types of people in this world: those that will loose data, and those that have lost data'.

It's inevitable, unfortunately I am the latter. Time Machine provides an excellent interface for cloning a bootable version of all your drives onto a single backup volume. Use it. Just make sure to to a repair disk or rebuild the directory in Disk warrior every three months or so, because your backup disk can get corrupted.

Last edited by thedecline; 12-20-2008 at 10:01 AM.