View Single Post

Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 problems/wishes

This thread should only be a info thread for problems and maybe wishes for the next update.

Known problems:

- Finder 10.5.8 may be defective, should be available as additional installation
- Macbook keyboard preferences pane must be replaced with a normal one

Additional files:

- 64bit AppleNforceATA. Should also be default on the installation DVD, if someone has 4 GB installed he could maybe have trouble while installation.
- 9.6.0 Kernel from Andy? Or wait till the 9.6.0 kernel from the Voodoo team is finished?
- the command 'gfxutil' which is needed to create EFI strings could be installed to /usr/bin by default.

Quicktime:

Installed is version 7.5.0, actual is 7.5.5, in macupdate is a link to version 7.5.7 which should be downloaded via Software update. There are now two methods: Either to update to 7.5.5 or to downgrade to 7.4.5 for people like me which have problems with newer Quicktime versions. Upgrading is always easier than downgrading.

Installation:

- The installation from image doesn't install the additional languages properly.
- The installer only makes the first partition bootable, not if you install f.e. on the 2nd partition.
- Could you take again a look of my suggestion for readme files inside the installation menu?
- Audio drivers should also get folders (ALC, AD, Intel...) like the gfx cards because there are rather a lot of them.
- the option -legacy should be added to apple.com.boot.plist, it's neccessary for AMD cpus.
- What about the difference between the X1600 drivers and the 0x71c2 drivers, the size is about 5.2 MB different. The X1600 Pro and the X1650 have 71c2, the X1600XT has 71c0.
- I think the X1600 71c2 drivers weren't working, I have fixed ones.

Question: If all (patched) drivers have to be selected manually, why are the old drivers installed by default? I only need the drivers for my 71c2 X1600, but in the system are all other graphic drivers for ATI, NVidia, Intel. Couldn't they be removed from the main installation package? This would save space on the disk and could reduce problems.

3rd-party apps:

I would remove them. If there are updates available the software wastes space on the DVD. I would recommend a seperate image with OSx86 software including some guides how to use it. A useful thing would be Perian because it install all useable video codecs and has an own software update function.

2 Opteron systems: OSx86 10.5.8, Andy's 9.8.0 kernel, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Opteron 185 o'clocked @ 2 x 2,95 GHz (2nd system 2.6 GHz), ATI Radeon HD2600XT 256MB Dual-Monitor 2x HP L2035, 4 GB RAM, Griffin FireWave as main audio device, Marvell + nForce LAN, Asus U3S6 USB3/SATA6 card, 5,5 TB harddisk, Firewire 800 card, Apple Remote + eHome IR receiver, 2x Wacom serial graphics tablet, Canon Pixma iP4700, Logitech Internet Navigator wireless keyboard/mouse combination.

My Audio stuff: M-Audio Transit USB (default audio), M-Audio ProFire 610, M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge (34 channels) using Creamware A16 ADAT converter MIDI: M-Audio Midiman 4x MIDI interfaceBehringer Audio Mixers: Xenyx 1002, Xenyx 1002FX, Xenyx 1202FX, Eurorack UB1002FX, Eurorack MX1804FX, Eurorack MX262A • FX devices: Lexicon MPX100 DSP, Behringer DSP-1000 Virtualizer, Behringer MiniFEX 800 DSP, Behringer Multicom Pro MDX4400 compressor RETRO: MSSIAH midi/sequencer/synthesizer cardridge for the C64 (Dual-SID), Steinberg M.S.I. MIDI Interface for C64