View Single Post

Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorazine74 View Post
I think you are missing the point, from what I can see (without buying it) they are selling a modified boot loader plus an lspci tool that connects to an online database that downloads kexts for the matched hardware, but of course only if its supported on a closed list of components, the ones they are selling with their machines. But the marketing call is "Install OS X on any Computer". That sounds like snake oil to me, its obviously not true, if you have a motherboard with a sis chipset or a sony laptop with an incompatible display controller, how is RebelEFI going to help you?
I haven't seen anything that says it only works for systems that match their specs. I'm sure there are some systems that won't work, but without actually testing Rebel EFI, I can't say how comprehensive their database is. When all is said and done, an awful lot of people are like Kabyl and me. What we like about OS X is that "it just works." We don't want to spend uncounted hours scouring forums hoping to solve minor and major problems, downloading various kernal extensions and patches hoping that one will do the job without conflicting with something else. We don't want to ask and be admonished that we should use the search function. We don't want to "learn" about our systems and how to use Terminal commands. If we wanted to do CLI work, we'd get Linux. We just want to use our Hackintoshes. Building a non-Apple Mac is still more of a black art than it is a science, although it's come a long way in the past few years. Even if you have a system configuration absolutely identical to one that works, there's still no guarantee that yours will work the same way.

Quote:
On the other hand it sounds like a big change of strategy I suppose because of the legal troubles: now instead of selling x86 computers with OS X preinstalled, they could just sell the "proven-to-work" hardware with no OS and just let the user install a bought (or downladed, who cares) copy of OS X, that way the user is the one breaking the EULA, not Psystar.
I've been saying all along in Mac forums that this is what they should have been doing instead of trying to fight Apple in court.

Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | Q6600 | 8GB | Asus EN8600GT
Vanilla kernel | iPC 10.5.6

Last edited by TechSgtChen; 10-25-2009 at 06:00 PM.