View Single Post

Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Cheetah

Reliability of OS X in a real production environment (on non-apple h/w)

Hello everyone,

I haven't read much about osx86 for a long time, and infinite mac seemed like the best of all the communities (great theme too). I was involved with "hackintosh" stuff in the very early days, and haven't returned to it since then.

I work for a small to medium sized design agency, and we run all Macs (iMacs and Mac-Minis, Macbooks). Since the legality of retail installs on generic hardware is sketchy at best, I won't name the business.

I'd really like to hear some practical input from people regarding how well OS X runs on generic hardware, in a real working environment. If I choose the best and most compatible hardware, what sort of experience can I expect? A bit of initial setup time is fine (and for OS updates), but I'm concerned about wasting time with on-going issues and bugs. We'll be running CS4, Lightroom, Textmate, and misc utilities nearly all day, computers are rarely asleep, and never turned off.

The price of Mac Pros can get pretty crazy, and building a custom system seems like it could be worthwhile.

I've gone through the wikis to see what's what, but I'd like some practical advice on the real-world side of things, preferably from people using osx86 under similar circumstances.

How well does this platform hold up on ideal hardware?

Cheers

Beav

P.S For the admins/mods. I can't seem to add an avatar using any browser. Image dimensions and filesize are correct. I get "invalid file" regardless of what I try.