View Single Post

Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Jaguar

System is overheating in OS X

Hi all,

I'm having problem with my laptop right now. It is overheating! To the point that it turns off by itself. Unfortunately, my bios is limited and I can only see limited information or probably tweaking it to somewhat level. The bios is really crappy that it doesn't even say the temp inside it.

I noticed this problem started this summer. I know, the weather is hot and stuff but it is not enough reason for it to heat up to extent that it turns off. Besides, with the same weather condition, it doesn't shutdown in Windows 7.

In Windows, the maximum heat that it generated is about 78C (using speedfan and coretemp)

In OSX, it goes up to 89C with Temperature Monitor Lite.

I think that my Sony Laptop auto turns off with 90C.

When I turn on my Air Conditioner, normal temps are 45C in Windows and 55C in OSX.

I already tried deleting AppleIntelCPU* and CPUThermo but it doesn't change anything. I already tried installing SpeedStep which works (Voodoo power management) but it still overheats. Tried all kinds of kernel. It is the same in 10.5.6/10.5.7 - Haven't tried in older versions because I never had a problem with (it was still winter then). Tried, with and without DSDT.

Can anyone give any suggestions on this? How can I make my system a little bit cooler. I really hate the auto shutoff thing.

I've tried smcfancontrol but I can't install it since it is not a real mac.

I also tried Fan Control 1.2 but I don't know it works. How does this work by the way? Anyone tried?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sony Vaio VGN-CR140E
965 chipset / Gmax3100 / T7100 1.8Ghz
2gb ddr2 667 / 160Gb Hdd
SMCWUSB-G USB wireless

EDIT: Someone told me that systems are a little bit hotter in OSX than Windows but not to the extent of auto shutdown.

Last edited by MonkeyDLuffy; 07-17-2009 at 04:16 PM.