View Single Post

Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfoav8or View Post
first of all, I'm not saying I'm a know-it-all when it comes to this stuff... Just that I've been using it for a while and on a bunch of different (test) systems and (except for the first time doing it) haven't botched it. I've also been helping people install via this method via PM and have had a lot of positive results. All credit, of course, goes to munky (and those that helped him) though. I'm just the messenger who explains it a little more in depth and helps provide a few files.

chipset kexts are the biggest one (of course)... just make sure that any of the kexts you place in this partition don't have kexts within a sub-directory of itself as this tends to through it for a loop. Also, modified AppleHDA kexts don't want to work due to dependancies that aren't able to be linked properly from a separate partition.

the files I use with my system are: AppleDecrypt (or dsmos), AppleSMBIOSEFI, and Disabler (although I know the latest voodoo has support to blacklist IntelCPUPowerManagement)... as well as my AppleNForceATA chipset kext (which I use the Test variant for as it provides the best DVD support on my system). I also modify the com.apple.boot.plist file with an EFI string for my video card enabling it to work with the native NVDANV40Hal.kext file (post-Leopard_Graphics_Update).

I haven't had to include the System.kext file as I don't have an hiccups when I don't use corresponding kernel/kext versions except for seatbelt.kext. This is the only file I have to revert back to (native Apple file, just earlier version obtained from a downloaded update and saved).

does this help in any way? (or are you just messin' with me )
Thanks so much. I run the iPC 10.5.6 and have wanted to figure out what exact Kext I need for my system. I can figure out the ones that I explicitly installed (i.e. checked off during the customize install) but not the ones that are part of the "core system files" other than the voodoo kernel.

iPC 10.5.6 Lenovo ThinkCentre M41 Pentium D -- VooDoo Kernel 9.5.0 Audigy 2 ZS Works!!. 7600GT EFI String (EFI Studio!).Everything works (ethernet, SATA, USB, IDE drives).