View Single Post

Old 05-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
I learnt from reading many threads here that folks here have been generally very helpful but please, I repeat, PLEASE, avoid comments like this is not for noob (even though thats true) or go get a mac etc. etc. These are most turn off comments.
Last year, I got fed up with Windows and decided to move to Ubuntu as I had no guts to think of Hackintosh (and my machine is AMD machine, no support then) I turned to Ubuntu. These are exactly the kind of comments I got and it was pretty turn off. Now, I don't plan to revisit Ubuntu or Linux as whole, till its as simple as Windows or Mac. I am not geek, sure but somebody has to give you pointers to go and learn, right?

So coming back to the question of which distribution is best for you. Suggestion that checking supported hardware list is good idea but I am yet to find a list specific to the distribution. HCL lists hardware supported but its mixed for all distros. Just few minutes ago, I posted a topic, if there is such search engine that you click your hardware and the engine results your preferred distribution.

May be I am missing something...

ipc 10.5.6 is a great distro and one of the most current ones... start with that one.

iPC 10.5.6 Lenovo ThinkCentre M41 Pentium D -- VooDoo Kernel 9.5.0 Audigy 2 ZS Works!!. 7600GT EFI String (EFI Studio!).Everything works (ethernet, SATA, USB, IDE drives).