View Single Post

Old 01-27-2010, 01:23 AM

Updating a prepatched install is a tedious processes. It can be done but you will be in the same boat next time you need to update. Installing using the EFI partition method allows for a much easier experience when updating. So it would be up to you. Regardless of the path you take please take notice that you should always backup your existing install before you do anything.

Please provide us with detailed specifications for your system (CPU, Motherboard (Including Chipsets), Graphics (If they are Integrated or not & Model Number if applicable) The more specific you are the better we can help you with your questions.

Signature
You can also place this information in your "Signature". It will then appear on every post you make. Please keep your signatures reasonably sized. We do not want to see full page specs. Edit your signature here: http://www.infinitemac.com/faq.php?f...atures_avatars

Where can I find my specifications?
Your manufacturer's website is a good start. Download a copy of your users manual and spec sheet and keep them handy.

What are chipsets?
You can use your motherboard as an example. It generally should have whats called a Northbridge & Southbridge chipset. The Northbridge deals with your CPU, RAM & Graphics and your Southbridge deals with the rest (hard drives, usb, expansion slots)

Wouldn't my motherboard model number be fine?
Chipsets are the key. Unless you get lucky and someone has the exact same model, they are not going to know what chipsets you have. There are a great deal of people who want to help others on this forum but we do not need to do all the leg work. Giving us all the information we need up front really encourages us to help.

MOBO: Z77MX-QUO-AOS CPU: Core i7 3770K GPU: MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Case: Modded MacPro2,1
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance (CMY32GX3M4A1600C9) Wifi: Airport Extreme bcm94321MCA BIOS: HermitCrab Labs H3A.816M
Monitor: AOC Q2963Pm 29" WFHD 2560x1080 21:9
Interests: KDE on Apple Darwin, Keeping it real with the command line, Helping those that help themselves