View Single Post

Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Cheetah

A little less "hack", a little more science?

So everybody wants to get this card going under Snow Leopard, but we're not really getting to the root of the problem, just throwing kexts at each other.

My System Profiler shows the card with an unknown locale and no country code.

That shouldn't be. We can see in IORegistryExplorer where that's coming in.

There's been numerous discussions on Apple's site (like http://discussions.apple.com/message...ageID=10629655 ) where folks' country codes aren't being detected right on 802.11n cards under Snow Leopard. What's supposed to happen is that the card listens to hear the beacons of access points in the area, and determines what the IO80211Locale and IO80211CountryCode are by picking them out of beacons it hears. Supposedly Apple (ok, Atheros) fixed those issues in the 10.6(2) release that gave us the Atheros support to begin with, but I still see this in my kernel log:

So being a creative guy, I tried modifying the Info.plist file and adding this in at the end of the file:

Code:
                        </array>
                        <key>IOProviderClass</key>
                        <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
                                <dict>
                                <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                                <string>com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros21</string>
                                <key>IO80211Locale</key>
                                <string>FCC</string>
                                <key>IO80211CountryCode</key>
                                <string>US</string>
                                </dict>
But they ended up at the wrong level, appearing on the AirPort_AthrFusion21 not the AirPort_AthrFusion21Interface where they need to be.

Somebody good with plists might be able to help us force this, but I think what's really needed is somebody who understands the interaction between the driver and the hardware. We can all flip the Airport off and on, so we're waking it up, but it's ears aren't listening. Once we figure out how to make the ears open up, they'll hear the beacons they're supposed to, figure out what locale and country code to use, and we'll be beyond this (and on to figure out the darned AttansicL1E ethernet card--which, I think, is having similar issues on the transmit side.)