View Single Post

Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Puma

Glad it's working for you. The hacking was very simple, really. No coding required.

First, I found a proper codec dump for an ALC889 - not an 885 (someone on a linux board had posted it). Next, I simply used Taruga's HDA Patcher version 1.20 with it to get the channels working. Then, I noodled around inside the AppleHDA kext package for the strings that describe the various ports. Turns out it's all in the "localizable.strings" files in the various language subfolders. I sat here with headphones and audio cables figuring out which was which, and put the colors into the English localizable.strings file. Then, I noticed a Plugins folder inside the AppleHDA kext, which contained other kexts. I stuck ALCInject in there, and it all worked perfectly. It's still a separate kext, but it now lives inside the AppleHDA one. Happiness ensues.

See? Nothing earth-shattering or complicated. All just simple, pragmatic thinking.

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 Rev. 2.1 • EVGA Nvidia 8800GT 512 • 4GB Geil DDR2 667 • Samsung SH-S223F DVD Burner • Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB SATAII • iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) • ...and a Smug Grin