View Single Post

Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 PM

OK, I know the answer...

first when I got my alu keyboard, I was having the same problems. Everything was functioning OK, until I plug in a mass storage device of some kind, like the iPhone, and it stopps working. If I was using a normal usb keyboard, there was no problem. Later I found out that it was the usb hub function of the keyboard causing the troubles(I tried with 2 other hubs and normal keyboard connected to them - the problem appeared again). I was looking everywhere for a solution, but nobody reported the same issues, so I thought I had a bad mobo. About 2 weeks ago, I bought a new mobo from different manufacturer, but with the same SB600 chipset. I was almost 100% sure that the problem will be gone, but nooo it stayed. I did a new installation it stayed again. I turned off USB 2.0 in BIOS and everything was OK, but of course without the 2.0 devices. Strange thing on both mobos though, was that when I turned on my USB 2.0 TV tuner, I could do everything perfectly. So I knew that it's the sb600 causing it(the SB600 controls the usb's). I found out in a linux forum, that people are having the same problem(in windows though, everything is ). So it turns out, that it's a bug in the chipset.I thought that since I was unable to find almost any info at all, there won't be solution either. In the end, I deceided to not actually use the SB600 and bought a PCI to USB 2.0 card from Belkin(it should be with the NEC chip on it, some cheap cards with VIA chip don't work). Now I have all my 2.0 devices trough the pci card and everything is perfect. I have two hubs on it(one for tv tuner and printer and one on my LCD where I connect my iPhone and flash drives). It's a simple and cheap(around $20 here) solution.

Hope I can help.
Greetings.

AMD Phenom II 945 || Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 || A-DATA 4GB kit DDR2 800 || Galaxy 9800GT Low Power || 320GB (SATA) || USB DAC || Optiarc DVDRW (PATA) || CM Mystique 631S Case || Asus PW201 || Apple Aluminum Keyboard + Mighty Mouse + Remote