View Single Post

Old 12-29-2008, 01:48 AM

I find it is a good idea to install only the bare minimum unless you are 100% sure that the item you are selecting will work. Once you boot into OSX you can fix them one by one. This lets you get a feel for what needs to be fixed and why.

Boot Options - You probably have already read about these but Ill describe a few

-v Verbose Mode
-s Single User Mode Command Line Only
-x Safe Mode
-f Load Kexts from the Extensions Folder instead of the cache file
-F Ignores com.apple.boot.plist
maxmem=2048 Limits the memory that OSX uses. Measured in MB. Using 4GB can cause issues as Lawless mentioned. You can add maxmem to your com.apple.boot.plist to limit your memory until you have fixed the problem. Generally the symptoms are a complete system freeze.

There are a tons of others but this should get you started. If you need to repeatedly enter things at boot you can add it to com.apple.boot.plist which is located in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/. The syntax goes something like this.
Code:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>PUT BOOT FLAGS HERE USING SINGLE SPACE BETWEEN</string>
For example:
Code:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v -legacy maxmem=2048</string>
Installing Kexts
You can use kext helper but its also good to know how to manually install kexts. I have found that installers dont aways get it right. Even when installing osx from the install disk.

1. Removed any related or duplicate kexts & backup kexts you are replacing. I generally back mine up to the Desktop. Doesn't really matter as long as you know where its at.
2. Copy yourkext.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
3. Entered your admin password when prompted
4. In Terminal write:
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/yourkext.kext
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
5. Restart using the boot flags:
Code:
-v -f -F
Replace "yourkext.kext" with the kext your installing.
Sometimes Extensions.kextcache is not there. This isnt an issue. What we are trying to do is make 100% for sure that the cache is recreated with the new kexts. If your still having problems you can repair disk permissions in Disk Utility or by using Terminal with the following:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

MOBO: Z77MX-QUO-AOS CPU: Core i7 3770K GPU: MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Case: Modded MacPro2,1
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance (CMY32GX3M4A1600C9) Wifi: Airport Extreme bcm94321MCA BIOS: HermitCrab Labs H3A.816M
Monitor: AOC Q2963Pm 29" WFHD 2560x1080 21:9
Interests: KDE on Apple Darwin, Keeping it real with the command line, Helping those that help themselves