View Single Post

Old 10-30-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptink View Post
Yes, but as I said before, it's only a cosmetic fix
Well I can tell you right now, myself attempting that would be like putting wheels on a tomato. Time consuming, and completely pointless.
I know, I'm just fussy
I'm sure it's something to do with how each method injects the info, I just don't know how.
What do you mean only chosmetic? SMBIOS.plist just injects the values so System Profiler displays them, some of them are only of chosmetic value (i.e. RAM speed or Manufacturer or Serial Number) but others like Mac Model seems to be very important because OS X read those valuse and acts different depending what Mac Model you have. Its a good practice to have real data from a Mac Model close to your system specs, though I'm not sure which variables are really necessary apart from Mac Model...
It serves the same purpose as kext-based SMBIOS injectors, though it may not inject the same values as others like Andy's patched one, though arguably most of the values are useless. And it should work in 32 & 64 bits.
If you have a properly filled SMBIOS table About This Mac or System Profiler should not crash. What CPU do you have? I think you may have to edit the CPU and bus speeds in smbios.plist, I'm not sure because I never have to, I think its autodetected but maybe in your case it didnt work?
If you use smbios.plist injecting you probably should use vanilla unpatched AppleSMBIOS.kext and have no other SMBIOS injector kext installed.

AsRock P45TS | C2D E8200 | GeForce 8600GTS
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1 + Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 + Fedora 11

Last edited by thorazine74; 10-30-2009 at 02:16 PM.