View Single Post

Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Cheetah

This worked for me:
Updated to 10.6.2 but did not restart
I removed sleepenabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions (also placed LegacyALC883.kext in there)
Placed new netkas sleepenabler.kext into /Extra/Extensions
Then i deletedExtensions.mkext from /Extra
Ran Kext Utility from here
Rebooted and everything cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillett View Post
I have a working system based on the instructions here, no real issues to be honest so thanks for all the hard work.

I'm trying to upgrade to 10.6.2, I realise the sleepenabler.kext needs changing but read on for my problem.

I cannot find a definitive answer to despite a lot of searching is exactly how does one remove a kext (e.g. sleepenabler), rebuild, reinstall a kext and rebuild. Phrases such as "deinstall the sleepenabler.kext and then reinstall" are bandied around as if these are normal activities.

My assumption is that I do something similar to:

1. cd into the right /extensions directory,
2. rm or rather mv the sleepenabler.kext to somewhere else safe.
3. rebuild the kext cache <-- This is the bit thats odd, I read so many different things, such as ox86tools or kextinstal but they always seem to be fragments of information. Is this pcifix or some other tool?
4. Reboot
5. Update to 10.6.2
6. Install the new updated sleepenabler.kext into the right directory. Again I assume a simple copy is sufficient.
7. Rebuild the kext cache - See point 3.

I have a good working system and do not want to screw it up with messing around with the kext's in a way I don't understand so any help welcomed.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Rob.