View Single Post

Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Jaguar

How do you know if your Mac is actually asleep?

I've had my Hackintosh working through this thread for some time, probably a year by now, and have no real issues with it. Firewire works, sound is through an iMic USB connector, Ethernet is a PCI Realtek card and I use a silent Asus 9400GT card. It's a nice quiet quad core system that I don't really tinker with as I use it day in day out.

The only problem I've has is getting sleep to actually work, as far as I can see I have never got sleep to work in 10.6.2,10.6.3,10.6.4,10.6.5 and now 10.6.6.

I have tried numerous sleepenablers, DVD's in drive's, anything and everything, even going to the expense of building a new identical system just to try things out.

I have installed the latest 10.6.x sleepenabler, added the pmVersion=21 to com.boot.apple.plist and tried setting things in the System Preferences.

I set the monitor to two mins and the computer sleep to two mins and have ticked the four checkboxes underneath "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible", "Wake for Ethernet access", "Allow power button to put computer to sleep" and "start up automatically after a power failure".

After two mins of inactivity the screen goes blank and I need to waggle the mouse to get it to come back.

So how do I know the system hasn't gone to sleep in this time as well and it's got an instantaneous startup (which is possible). Should CPU fans spin down? should all the power lights on the box go off? Since the screen's gone I can't see anything happening there. Should there be console messages? I know this sounds a bit lame (and a dumb question), but any help would be great here.

Thanks,

Rob.