View Single Post

Old 08-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Puma

I followed this guide to update my 10.5.6 to snow leopard.
Good job on the guide, thanks!

Before deciding to follow the guide properly and install from a usb stick I had a few not so successful attempts at installing from a hard drive partition, using iPartition and Disk utility, creating and destroying new partitions and restoring to keep things fresh when I failed.

With the usb stick, it worked fine. I had the PCEfi boot file from this guide on it and the Extra folder had the contents of the guide extra folder and also 3 other ones:

AHCIPortInjector, ATAPortInjector, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
I think chameleon put them there.

The first time I forgot to edit the uuid flags in com.apple.boot.plist and PlatformUUID.kext.
While at it I also changed the resolution string in apple.com.boot.plist and upped the timeout value and added the device string for my graphic card.

I installed to my one partition leo disk.

After installing, I used another computer to remove the uuid flag from apple.com.boot.plist on the usb stick.
Booted to the usb stick and chose my hard drive in the chameleon screen, no kernel flags.

Snow Leopard, 64 bit!.

Only small problem I had was when (after having enjoyed snow leopard for a couple of hours) I tried to make my hard drive bootable on its own so as to not have to use the usb stick every time.
Chameleon gave an install error until I installed using the hfs EFI option.

I used EFI Partition Mounter and sudo -s in terminal to copy the boot file from the usb stick to the root of the hard drive and the extra folder from the usb stick to the efi partition. I just realized I never changed the uuid info in Platformuuid.kext….

Sleepenabler.kext worked as well, I put it among the EFI partition kexts.

So thanks, again.

Because of this thread I also know about the .chameleon folder in root, wish I knew that before…. :-)