InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 08-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renira View Post
hej Good News !
I´m writting this Post from Snow Leopard on my internal HDD !
I mixed your tipps:

- Installed the newest Chameleon - replaced "boot" again
- Insert the new IOATAFamily.kext

When this is done, it boots very stable and fast without any command at the beginning !

Thank you very much !

Now my last problem.... after restarting, it won´t boot a second time !
i have to replace the kextes in /system/library/Extensions

This ones:

- AD1988b.Fix.kext
- AHCIPortInjector.kext
- dsmos.kext
- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
- JMicronATA.kext
- OpenHaltRestart.kext

then i tried "OSx86 Tools Utility" ...

"Repair Permissions" and "Set Extensions permissions"

it ends in this error-message:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/460...o20090829u.png

This Action works on my USB-HDD !
I had to replaced the files too...
forget to say, but about the chameleon v2rc2 installer I didn't install the "extra kexts" withit during installation, so check if /Extra/Extensions is empry after install.

just forget the
- AHCIPortInjector.kext
- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
- JMicronATA.kext

Iconfix is not a fix! It also makes your esata jmicron disks look as external, it only does fix names in the systemprofiler, don't bother with jmicron ATA, just use sata/esata.

Please try without the patches? Do you have the slightest idea why you are adding the extra kexts? Please copy by terminal, and don't use any further GUI apps.

When it boots the first time succesful, it boots without a mkext file so all extensions are loaded or listed, the second time when the mkext is created it might not put all the patched kexts files there you needed. So it hangs.

When I started 3 years ago with this, I stayed a way for months from the terminal. But there are only a few basic commands you need to know...
Reductionism is your best friend, many people stop exploring when they find out it works, and start asking for help when it stops. Making a robust osx 86 install can be written on a single A4 paper, with proper patches and handling and use of terminal commands.

Last edited by walterav; 08-29-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Cheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by omargoa View Post
i don't have the USB3 device in the IORegistryExplorer that's why i don't patch it ...
Thanks for the clarification.

I got sleep to work with your USB patch together with SleepEnabler.kext. However, if I reboot the PC after wakeup from sleep, the system hangs and it couldn't reboot. If I shutdown the PC after wakeup from sleep, it works fine. Does anyone able to reboot the PC after waking up?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom8 View Post

I got sleep to work with your USB patch together with SleepEnabler.kext. However, if I reboot the PC after wakeup from sleep, the system hangs and it couldn't reboot. If I shutdown the PC after wakeup from sleep, it works fine. Does anyone able to reboot the PC after waking up?
for me the sleepEnabler.kext doesn't change anythings in sleep/wake up
have you try only the dsdt usb patch ?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom8 View Post

For me restart after wake has never worked, only a hardreset, its the motherboard I think, ubuntu9.10a3 has the same problem, it sleeps and wakes fine only restart after sleep hangs.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Cheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by omargoa View Post
for me the sleepEnabler.kext doesn't change anythings in sleep/wake up
have you try only the dsdt usb patch ?
Yes, I've tested the dsdt usb patch without the SleepEnabler, but it didn't work. I have also tested SleepEnabler alone without dsdt usb patch, it didn't work too. I need to have them both in order for sleep to work.

Does restart work for you after wakeup? walterav also has the same problem, so it may relate to P5K-E mobo.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Puma

General Onboard Device Setup Query for SL upgrade

Hi all,
It's been a long road to Hackintosh-ness and my brain hurts.
Just wonder if I can pick someone else's brain?

MOBO: P5K-E Wifi/AP
CPU: Q6600
GFX: GeForce 9800 GT 512
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800

DRIVES:
SATA: 2 x 500GB HHD
1 x DVD

IDE/PATA: 1 x DVD
1 x HHD

I had a fully functional 10.5.6 (updated to 10.5.7) retail install which utilised 64 bit drivers to enable both ACHI on SATA drives and J-Micron for IDE / PATA Drives (64 bit needed because of 4GB RAM?)

After upgrading to 10.5.8 and getting "Waiting for root device" error, I got rid of the 64 bit kexts (LegacyAppleAHCI, LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage and JMicronATA 64 bit) and switched everything back to IDE in the bios to get it to boot again.
My system is functional - but dodgy under 10.5.8

I'm now fully confused as to what I would have to do to make my system "SL-ready" and to have the same functionality I had with my 10.5.7 install.

My /S/L/E folder is full of crap - hard to track down and work out what is needed and what should go.

Ideally, I would like to switch over to Chameleon V2 boot loader on EFI partition and utilise /Extra , com.apple.Boot.plist and dsdt patching this time around.

I would basically be starting from scratch with a boot 132 leo 10.5.6 retail install.
Hope my query is clear?
I threw just up in my mouth trying to think ... and be more concise.
Regards
Fish
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcow View Post
Hi all,
It's been a long road to Hackintosh-ness and my brain hurts.
Just wonder if I can pick someone else's brain?

MOBO: P5K-E Wifi/AP
CPU: Q6600
GFX: GeForce 9800 GT 512
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800

DRIVES:
SATA: 2 x 500GB HHD
1 x DVD

IDE/PATA: 1 x DVD
1 x HHD

I had a fully functional 10.5.6 (updated to 10.5.7) retail install which utilised 64 bit drivers to enable both ACHI on SATA drives and J-Micron for IDE / PATA Drives (64 bit needed because of 4GB RAM?)

After upgrading to 10.5.8 and getting "Waiting for root device" error, I got rid of the 64 bit kexts (LegacyAppleAHCI, LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage and JMicronATA 64 bit) and switched everything back to IDE in the bios to get it to boot again.
My system is functional - but dodgy under 10.5.8

I'm now fully confused as to what I would have to do to make my system "SL-ready" and to have the same functionality I had with my 10.5.7 install.

My /S/L/E folder is full of crap - hard to track down and work out what is needed and what should go.

Ideally, I would like to switch over to Chameleon V2 boot loader on EFI partition and utilise /Extra , com.apple.Boot.plist and dsdt patching this time around.

I would basically be starting from scratch with a boot 132 leo 10.5.6 retail install.
Hope my query is clear?
I threw just up in my mouth trying to think ... and be more concise.
Regards
Fish
First thing with a hack, is check the bios, second is install and use minimal patches, 3rd is update wisely.

0 check if your hardware is compatible, in your case it perfectly is, except for the IDE harddisk and DVD-drive, I'll say forget it but maybe other people here feel different about the jmicron IDE ports. But the only kernel panics I got in the past where from the IDE controller... I'd rather life with less patching and less features. Buy a 20 dollar sata dvd drive if you don't have one, or you won't get any help from me

1 can you show me a copy of every page of your bios "photos with celphone maybe?" than I can tell which is not perfect, going back to IDE mode from AHCI sounds incorrect to me, although it worked for you because of "already" "over"patching
which I consider not a good idea, keep it clean.

2 Start with a clear install via boot 132, afterwords just install chameleon v2rc2 WITHOUT EXTRA KEXTS during the install of the bootloader, just minimal.Only install:
dsmos.kext + Intelcpudisabler.kext + Openhaltrestart to /Extra/Extensions
!!!and you got a minimal working system "update compatible"!!!

patch the device-id in Appleyukon2.kext or get the injector from this thread and you have networking.

generate a efistring for your 9800 gt and put in boot.com.plist and you have video. "Maybe you can let Chameleonv2rc2 inject the efistring, its a new option"

audio:
2 options
-Use the old AppleAzalia.kext for 2 channel analog.
-or 'patch dsdt with audio injection', and add the '1988B.Fix.kext' to /S*/L*/E*/ and 'almost' all in and out are working. Don't combine with azalia!

Not update compatible:
After these simple steps you have a perfect working system, except for sleep . For sleep you have to patch dsdt remove CPUdisabler.kext also patch IOUSBFamily.kext and add EHCISLEEPENABLER.kext.

Now you have a good working system to prepare for snow leo! Which is also simple and already descrived in the first POST of this thread.

If you want to organize it right COLOUR the kexts you patch or add the /S*/L*/E*/. Colour the ones that are update compatible or extra added GREEN, and colour the ones that are not RED. The sleeppatches need to be in /S*/L*/E*/ and are RED also IONETWORKINGFAMILY.kext if you don't use the injector for appleukon2.kext. You don't need any patches for the harddisks! Except for buggy IDE

Last edited by walterav; 08-30-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renira View Post

It's because Snow Leopard keeps his Extensions.mkext in another place, before with leopard, it was in /System/Library/ , now it's in System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

Kext utility is looking for it in the wrong place .... maybe because is not Snow leopard compatible

Why don't you do this manually with your terminal ? just put the the kexts you want to add in /System/Library/Extensions/ you can also label them to recognize them later if you change something, then repair permissions with

Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/YourSnowVolume/System/Library/Extensions/*
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/YourSnowVolume/System/Library/Extensions/*

after that you can create Extensions.mkext with kextcache like this:

Code:
kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Last edited by lancelotu; 08-30-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Puma

Thank you

I must thank you all but specially lancelotu for ethernet&audio fix and omargoa for the sleep&ICH10 fix.

Now my SL runs stable for a day without KPs in 64bit mode. I can confirm the restart issue after sleep, but it has been here since Leopard so i guess is the motherboard issue.

Someone got a kext or something for the wireless, is not that i need it but would be nice to have the option.

Thx again

BTW: i have an ASUS P5K-E Wi-Fi/ap
Old 08-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterav View Post
First thing with a hack, is check the bios, second is install and use minimal patches, 3rd is update wisely.

0 check if your hardware is compatible, in your case it perfectly is, except for the IDE harddisk and DVD-drive, I'll say forget it but maybe other people here feel different about the jmicron IDE ports. But the only kernel panics I got in the past where from the IDE controller... I'd rather life with less patching and less features. Buy a 20 dollar sata dvd drive if you don't have one, or you won't get any help from me

1 can you show me a copy of every page of your bios "photos with celphone maybe?" than I can tell which is not perfect, going back to IDE mode from AHCI sounds incorrect to me, although it worked for you because of "already" "over"patching
which I consider not a good idea, keep it clean.

2 Start with a clear install via boot 132, afterwords just install chameleon v2rc2 WITHOUT EXTRA KEXTS during the install of the bootloader, just minimal.Only install:
dsmos.kext + Intelcpudisabler.kext + Openhaltrestart to /Extra/Extensions
!!!and you got a minimal working system "update compatible"!!!

patch the device-id in Appleyukon2.kext or get the injector from this thread and you have networking.

generate a efistring for your 9800 gt and put in boot.com.plist and you have video. "Maybe you can let Chameleonv2rc2 inject the efistring, its a new option"

audio:
2 options
-Use the old AppleAzalia.kext for 2 channel analog.
-or 'patch dsdt with audio injection', and add the '1988B.Fix.kext' to /S*/L*/E*/ and 'almost' all in and out are working. Don't combine with azalia!

Not update compatible:
After these simple steps you have a perfect working system, except for sleep . For sleep you have to patch dsdt remove CPUdisabler.kext also patch IOUSBFamily.kext and add EHCISLEEPENABLER.kext.

Now you have a good working system to prepare for snow leo! Which is also simple and already descrived in the first POST of this thread.

If you want to organize it right COLOUR the kexts you patch or add the /S*/L*/E*/. Colour the ones that are update compatible or extra added GREEN, and colour the ones that are not RED. The sleeppatches need to be in /S*/L*/E*/ and are RED also IONETWORKINGFAMILY.kext if you don't use the injector for appleukon2.kext. You don't need any patches for the harddisks! Except for buggy IDE
walterav - thanks so much for your help.
I have already ordered another couple of SATA drives and a DVD
I have attached a zip of my bios shots/settings.

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.

Attached Files
File Type: zip bios_shots.zip (617.2 KB, 55 views)