InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   The apple logo keeps spinning after successful install what to do? (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=1705)

nfoav8or 12-21-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schr3531 (Post 19693)
I have the same initial problem alphaman had "the apple loading sign upon a successful install yet it just keeps spinning and nothing else happens". Actually, i only get the loading sign when i type "cpus=1" when i boot and if i do a straight boot, then i would just get a grey apple with a white background with no loading. When i flag -v on startup to see where i get "hung up" it stops at "MAC Framework successfully initialized using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers". Could you guys PLEASE help me out! I'm using the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. Specs:

80GB Serial ATA hard drive
4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (PC3 10666)
ASUS P5Q3 Motherboard LGA 775
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 video card with 896MB
D-Link WDA-1320 IEEE 802.11b/g
Realtek HD Audio

Have you tried booting with "-f -x -v"? this might reload a missing chipset kext.
Have you tried any other distros?

It is hanging right before it would load your chipset up to enable you to load the rest of the DVD.

Alphaman 12-21-2008 10:37 PM

Hey Nfoav8or and Lance IOUSBFamily.kext does work for me because my usb slots aren't wokring do you guys know of any other usb kexts that might work.

nfoav8or 12-22-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphaman (Post 19717)
Hey Nfoav8or and Lance IOUSBFamily.kext does work for me because my usb slots aren't wokring do you guys know of any other usb kexts that might work.

I just use the retail one... I'll PM it to you but I'm not sure (depending on your distro) if it has been altered or not.

Alphaman 12-22-2008 02:12 AM

nfoav8or, I really appreciate that one last thing. I know you and Lance were clowning me but it's all cool. I'm going to school for Computer Programming and Business Information Systems. Let me cut to the chase I don't know how to do the efi string or if I'm supposed to find it I tried Macvidia and it gave me resolution's but after a while the machine would display the crash screen with the power button behind it and eventually starting hanging upon booting.

(Delete/Move Geforce*.kext, NV*.kext.
Install MacVidia 1.0.81; don't restart; open terminal;
type 'sudo mkdir/NVBackup'
type 'sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.bundle /NVBackup'
then type 'sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.plugin /NVBackup'
restart - open display properties and get 1280x800.)

I got this from a guy named manofmany and I followed his instructions what he said worked but then it made my machine crash.

I read on Insanelymac that Core Image can be enabled but quartz extreme can't. I just wanted my menu bar to be transparent like everyone else's but because of my video it won't work will nfoav8or? Please could you tell me how to set up the eif string to do the efi string for my video card.

nfoav8or 12-22-2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphaman (Post 19726)
nfoav8or, I really appreciate that one last thing. I know you and Lance were clowning me but it's all cool. I'm going to school for Computer Programming and Business Information Systems. Let me cut to the chase I don't know how to do the efi string or if I'm supposed to find it I tried Macvidia and it gave me resolution's but after a while the machine would display the crash screen with the power button behind it and eventually starting hanging upon booting.

(Delete/Move Geforce*.kext, NV*.kext.
Install MacVidia 1.0.81; don't restart; open terminal;
type 'sudo mkdir/NVBackup'
type 'sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.bundle /NVBackup'
then type 'sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.plugin /NVBackup'
restart - open display properties and get 1280x800.)

I got this from a guy named manofmany and I followed his instructions what he said worked but then it made my machine crash.

I read on Insanelymac that Core Image can be enabled but quartz extreme can't. I just wanted my menu bar to be transparent like everyone else's but because of my video it won't work will nfoav8or? Please could you tell me how to set up the eif string to do the efi string for my video card.

hey bud... we were clowning with ya earlier but not anymore.

edit that code above to be:
boot with "-s"
Code:

/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/
rm -Rf Extensions/GeForce*
rm -Rf Extensions/NVDA*
rm -Rf Extensions/NVinject*
cd ..
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
reboot

now when you use a combo updater past 10.5.2, the graphics update that fixes the old problems with these kexts is included. (make sure you are using the voodoo kernel with the supported kexts for this)

To get EFI strings working, get OSx86 Tools Utility and click on the "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flags"
another window will pop up called "Boot Editor"
click on the GFX Strings button in the top left corner.
select your Gfx card (NVidia GeForce 6150 xxxMB) then copy the hexadecimal code printed out in the bottom.
now open Terminal and type:
Code:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
enter your password then the Terminal will change to the nano editor.
use the arrow keys to scroll down to right before the last two lines which should read:
Quote:

</dict>
</plist>
now add a few lines before this to so the whole thing looks like:
Quote:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>**name of the kernel (usually "mach_kernel")**</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>**edit this to add your boot flags so you don't have to type them in all the time**</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>**whatever you want**</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>**paste your hex string here**</string>
</dict>
</plist>
now to save it while in the nano editor, press [ctrl]+[o], [enter] to overwrite the original, and finally [ctrl]+[x] to exit.

Thats it for EFI.

Now when you update your graphics to the new graphics update, the new NVDA kexts will recognize this and give you the resolutions allowed by the 6150...

For Core Imaging... you can now try to install MacVidia.

EDIT: in the code at the top you can also type in:
Code:

rm -Rf Extensions/ATI*
anywhere between the 2nd and 6th lines

schr3531 12-22-2008 04:44 AM

nfoav8or,
when i boot with "-f-x-v" on the disc, it will just try to install again. and if i boot "-f-x-v" on the hd, it goes to the screen with the gray apple with no loading signal. Only other distros i have tried is the "cpus=1" which will give me a loading signal and that's it. So, do you think i should start installing it with a different chipset each time?

nfoav8or 12-22-2008 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schr3531 (Post 19735)
nfoav8or,
when i boot with "-f-x-v" on the disc, it will just try to install again. and if i boot "-f-x-v" on the hd, it goes to the screen with the gray apple with no loading signal. Only other distros i have tried is the "cpus=1" which will give me a loading signal and that's it. So, do you think i should start installing it with a different chipset each time?

first off... distro's are the different developer's distributions of OSx86 (i.e. kalyway, ideneb, zephyroth, Leo4All, iPC, JaS, etc.). I think you are confusing this term with the term boot flags...

secondly... so you're telling me you successfully installed?... if this is the case then yes, it sounds like you need to go back in and re-install. Make sure you CUSTOMIZE your install using the button in the lower left corner of the installer window just after you select where you want to install. Add in just your chipset for now unless you are completely sure of all the rest.

thirdly... if you use the boot flags properly, when you use "-v" at all, you shouldn't see any Graphics until you are booted into the system.

-v is verbose
-x is safe mode
-f is a forced load of the Extensions folder (which includes all the kext fixes you customize to as well as many other essential kernel extensions)

If you've already done this and it still doesn't work, let me know as it may be a little more in-depth than these simple fixes. Best of luck bud.

EDIT: just in case, I better throw this out there for you... when you enter the boot flags in, don't include those quotation marks from above... those are there only to show a separation from the rest of the text.

schr3531 12-22-2008 05:21 AM

Now i am having a totally different problem. i can't even install anymore. when i try, it hangs up at the "kernel version: ..."

nfoav8or 12-22-2008 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schr3531 (Post 19737)
Now i am having a totally different problem. i can't even install anymore. when i try, it hangs up at the "kernel version: ..."

wait... what? it's not loading even with all the boot flags? "-f -x -v cpus=1"?

you press f8, then press any other key during the countdown, then enter the boot flags and press enter... installer should load up.

schr3531 12-22-2008 07:29 AM

Only thing that i changed since yesterday was the bios settings so i can run my windows that has its own hd. I think there is something in the bios setting that i am missing.

when i use the use "-v", "-f -x -v", or "-f -x -v cpus=1" boot flags, it keeps stopping at "kernel version:..."

I am finishing up a download of a different "distro" iATKOS.