InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   The GA-EP43-UD3L Motherboard, and how I installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=4856)

OSX86TesTer 01-06-2010 12:01 AM

Nvidia

I want to start off by saying thank you!. This guide and steps are very helpful. The audio problem was resolved by using the alc88888 and appleHDApatcher. Rebooted audio was a go. Now I think the only problem ive had is getting the video to play nice. So here is my current info on my video card.
GeForce 8600 GTS:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600 GTS
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: PCI
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0400
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: NVIDIA Graphics Engine DSDT
Displays:
Display Connector:
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

With that being said, I dont know how to a) change the rom version to nvinject. b) ive downloaded kextutility and kexts. I am willing to try any methods possible to get Q/E working. I think my own noob / stupidity with kexts is preventing me to enjoy the driver for my vid card. So Any help or steps to install video drivers would be great. So currently I have corevidia downloaded / efistudio /nvidia inject 02.1 /nvenabler / nvidia installer 2.0 / and a rom dump even though my card is or has nothing to do with ati. XFX.8600GTS.256.070613.bin from GPUz or that site was posted in the thread earlier. Thank you for taking the time to read my desperate plea for help :)

I forgot to mention the first time around I was able to get nvinject 0.2 but then I removed that kext and repaired and am back to stock settings, but I would like to attempt to get Q/E working and I can provide screenshots if needed I know im missing a step or screwing up somewhere

OSX86TesTer 01-06-2010 03:54 AM

Ok I did a noobie mistake and killed my snow leopard forgot how to fix osx so just spent 20 mins and started all over again :D so now this is what my video looks like

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600 GTS
Slot: Slot-1
ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal
Displays:
Display Connector:
SyncMaster:

will1384 01-06-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSX86TesTer (Post 42497)
I want to start off by saying thank you!.

Quote:

The audio problem was resolved by using the alc88888 and appleHDApatcher.

I stopped using using "appleHDApatcher" in favor of just using "VoodooHDA.kext" by its self.

Quote:

Now I think the only problem ive had is getting the video to play nice.

Have you tried "GraphicsEnabler" just by its self with no DSDT mods and
no extra kexts, that should work with most Nvidia cards unless the card
is and oddball design.

OSX86TesTer 01-06-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will1384 (Post 42557)

I stopped using using "appleHDApatcher" in favor of just using "VoodooHDA.kext" by its self.

Have you tried "GraphicsEnabler" just by its self with no DSDT mods and
no extra kexts, that should work with most Nvidia cards unless the card
is and oddball design.

How do I go about using the graphics enabler I messed around with osx86tools and this is what I got

nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS
ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS OpenGL Engine [EFI]
Displays:
Display Connector:
SyncMaster:

And the quartz extreme enabler only broke after the reboot the tool now i get applescript errors if I want to see if its enabled or not :(

will1384 01-07-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSX86TesTer (Post 42565)
How do I go about using the graphics enabler

Its built into the bootloader, you don't need any other files, patches or
strings

I just copy and pasted the text below from from earlier in my post

Quote:

A) First edit the "com.apple.Boot.plist" in "/Extra", and add this

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>

(Hint) You can copy "com.apple.Boot.plist" to your desktop, edit it,
and copy it back into "/Extra"

This turns on auto detection of you video card, does not always
work
, you may also have to add "-pci1" or "-pci0" under
"Kernel Flags" like this, even then it may still not work.

OSX86TesTer 01-07-2010 12:47 AM

ok uhm do I need to do any kind of kext repairs or anything?. This is a fresh install with no bootloader but I was using the bootloader listed on lifehacker. but again it does not throw in the extra folder well right now im out an extrafolder and use the usb key to boot in fear of screwing up again. this is what I use and install it to the main hd and when i reboot this is my bootloader. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D8XO2Q5Y

I tried to use attachments but its too big Yay! so its on megaupload in a zip format.

will1384 01-07-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSX86TesTer (Post 42569)
ok uhm do I need to do any kind of kext repairs or anything?.

Well what have you installed, added, or modded on your hard drive, you
want it to be as untouched as possible, and any changes or mods need
to been in your "\Extra" folder only, and in that way you can bypass them
if you screw-up, you can use the EmpireEFI boot CD, or myHack Installer
installed on a USB drive to boot and bypass them, there is an exception to
the "\Extra" rule and that the audio kext, or at least it has given me no
boot problems

As far as the boot loader I use the myHack Installer, its easy to
use and to install.

OSX86TesTer 01-07-2010 04:34 AM

aha myhack oh man I learned my lesson with that! not to use it. I dont like the bootup screen and when trying to replace it i ended up screwing up the bootloader. and my graphics come in at a whopping 1024 X 768 and thats all i can use If I go the my hack installer route. I'll install the file listed on the megaupload since I like the chameleon it uses. I am curently downloading ilife to triple verify qe/ci is working. Even though system profiler doesnt say anything literally everything works! ie the ripple effect when dragging items pressing f12 front row launches and i can play chess without a glitch. So maybe it truely is installed and just doesnt say it anywhere. I am not 100% oh yeah i never got sleep to work on this board it does take a nap when you tell it to sleep but when you wake it up bingo it reboots. So any hints with that Im willing to try.

Right now im currently stock as can be but I have to toss on the bootloader to make it run by itself. I updated to 10.6.2 then installed audio, or else installing audio before the update works but after the update the audio is gone so i patched audio last. I will keep you posted if you use yahoo or aim let me know ill get on there. THanks for this guide and responses you rock :)

will1384 01-07-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSX86TesTer (Post 42573)
aha myhack oh man I learned my lesson with that! not to use it. I dont like the bootup screen and when trying to replace it i ended up screwing up the bootloader. and my graphics come in at a whopping 1024 X 768 and thats all i can use If I go the my hack installer route.

The settings that controls the 1024 X 768 resolution, and GraphicsEnabler
are in the "com.apple.Boot.plist" in the "/Extra" folder, myHack defaults
to 1024 X 768 to help make sure it works with your monitor, the setting
looks like this

Code:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
 <string>1024x768x32</string>

If your video card is detected buy GraphicsEnabler or is
working correctly, it should bypass that limit when you are at
the OS X desktop.

BTW GraphicsEnabler is not turned on by default by myHack,
but you can customize it during its install in order to turn it on.

As far as changing the image that is displayed at boot, I have no idea,
I disabled mine, I like to watch the text ;)

OSX86TesTer 01-09-2010 04:07 AM

I also forgot to ask did you ever get sleep to work? I noticed a realllll slowdown on copying files from the sata dvd drive. It would take 6 hours. So I think something is wrong. I'll do some research and get back to you (For now I am assuming theres a kext for the Sata controller the Jmicron deal, and some IOATA kext too), but before I do that I want to back up this freaking thing to something. Why cant macs have decent backup /imaging software. PCS do Hell ACRONIS!!!! and even norton!. So far I cant find one that supports FTP or any damn network functionality. With that being Said I DONT HAVE another MAC to backup to. And the best I can do for now is slap in a usb drive with uber limited disk space. Eh but im going to back up this mac because im not going to make this my 10th install for making the Video and boot portion correct or any stupid kext. Sorry for the ramble and rant but this obsession is driving me up the wall on getting a 100% working hack pro.