InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   10.6.5 is avaible via Softwareupdate... (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=6711)

Imkantus 11-10-2010 11:32 PM

10.6.5 is avaible via Softwareupdate...

http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/opb7wmim/1065.png

Taisto 11-11-2010 01:10 AM

My update was ~500mb. It was trouble free, and here is the full change list :

- improve reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers
- address performance of some image-processing operations in iPhoto and Aperture
- address stability and performance of graphics applications and games
- resolve a delay between print jobs
- address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an AirPort Extreme
- resolve an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal
- address an issue where dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide
- resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary
- improve performance of MainStage on certain Mac systems
- resolve spacing issues with OpenType fonts
- improve reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays
- resolve a VoiceOver issue when browsing some web sites with Safari 5

Oh, and we have a new kernel, Darwin 10.5.0 so don't forget to back up yours.

wastez 11-11-2010 12:53 PM

Hello,

Does the xnu mach_kernel 10.5.0 work with amd too?
Would be really great to know.

Greets

RayFlower 11-11-2010 01:42 PM

I have yet to try it with my amd setup, experienced some trouble with my macbook pro 3.1 though.
It installs a new boot.efi so once i lipo'ed the new kernel i got some boot trouble, but replacing it with the old hacked one did the trick and i have a full 64 bit system again now and working wifi:)

RayFlower 11-11-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wastez (Post 51344)
Hello,

Greets

Most likely, no.
But if you're willing to experiment a bit you can use a older amd kernel with it, might break something though(last time around apf did).

Imkantus 11-11-2010 02:54 PM

OK. Succesfully did it through Software-Update. :)

Andy's v5 rework of 10.4.0 legacy XNU is still working fine, after patching out a few CPUIDs + sysenter traps from libSystem.B*.dylib files:

ATI Framebuffer drivers have been reworked, but working without issues.

There are two new ATI Framebuffer called "Nomascus" und "Orangutan". ATI 5XXX owners who haven't yet been able to make their cards to work, should give those a try.

Anyway I'm pissed off... ^_^ Stupid USB drivers stoped working after Update - I had to restore old versions of IOUSBFamily.kext & IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from 10.6.4 - Due to lack of a keyboard I can't post my dmesg - but these lines are present in system.log
Code:

Nov 11 00:41:12 XYZs-Mac com.apple.kextd[12]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBOHCI.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency load failed.
Nov 11 00:41:12 XYZs-Mac com.apple.kextd[12]: Load com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI failed; removing personalities.
Nov 11 00:41:12 XYZs-Mac com.apple.kextd[12]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext - (libkern/kext) dependency load failed.
Nov 11 00:41:12 XYZs-Mac com.apple.kextd[12]: Load com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI failed; removing personalities.
Nov 11 00:41:16 XYZs-Mac mtversionlog[72]: SWU: system version changed from 10.6.4 (10F569) to 10.6.5 (10H574)
Nov 11 00:41:16 XYZs-Mac bootlog[67]: BOOT_TIME: 1289432462 0

It seems there are others having the same trouble... - maybe this problem related to using an previous version of XNU Kernel, but I currently don't have the equipment for giving this a try...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wastez (Post 51344)

Ofcourse unpatched / vanilla Kernel does not work on AMD. ;) For the moment you will have to use 10.4.0 patched Kernel with 10.6.5 - I'd recommend you to back-up your Kernel Extensions etc as well.

Apple hasn't released the source code for 10.6.5, yet. Once it is avaible there is the possibility to start working on porting the current kernel patches to the latest kernel version. (And maybe to fix USB drivers as well. :D)

gedna 11-11-2010 03:10 PM

i can confirm, usb stop working after update, :/ thats strange

RayFlower 11-11-2010 03:47 PM

Out of curiosity, what GPU do you use imkantus?

I've been forced to use the macmini drivers with the patched ATY_init.kext with my 5750, any upgrades in the past has messed up the framebuffer for me?

I guess I'll wait with upgrading to 10.6.5 until the USB issue has been addressed although using the old kexts shouldn't be too much of an issue for now?
About your dmesg, have you tried to ssh into it from another computer?</captain obvious>
I don't know if this is a kernel related issue as I used the 10.5.3 kernel on my mbp earlier after installing the 10.6.5update and usb was working fine, anyhow thats just pure guess work on my part.

Also, safari seems to be a bit snappier after this update, could just be my imagination though.

Imkantus 11-11-2010 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gedna (Post 51355)
i can confirm, usb stop working after update, :/ thats strange

It ain't strange - it sucks. ^_^

I have just put 10.6.5 to my Asus eee PC 900A (Intel Atom N270).
I am using latest 10.5.0 binpatched Kernel made teateam:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=197020

I am fine using 10.5.0 XNU, but once I am using 10.4.0 I have the same USB problems like on the AMD machine. So I think this issue is actually Kernel related...

I have attached dmesg from the netbook, made using 10.4.0 legacy kernel by nawcom for larger dmesg log space (same situation using 10.4.0 binpatched Kernel).

So those of you who cannot boot Darwin 10.5.0 yet, should make a back-up of 10.6.4 IOUSBFamily.kext & IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext before update!!!

Would be nice if some other people who have 10.6.5 upgraded Hacks could try booting 10.4.0 XNU to prove or disprove this. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayFlower (Post 51359)
Out of curiosity, what GPU do you use imkantus?

I've been forced to use the macmini drivers with the patched ATY_init.kext with my 5750, any upgrades in the past has messed up the framebuffer for me?

Well I am still on the RV730 GPU / HD4650 card mentioned in my signature. It currently fits my needs, so no reason to buy a 5000 series card yet. ;)
As far as I figured out and read in IRC, latest drivers work pretty much the same as those from "10.6.4 Graphics Update v1" did.

Anyway if you are fine using those drivers from MacMini Image, make a back-up of the following 3 kext files before update ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISuppor.kext and use them in combination with latest ATIRadeonX3000.kext from 10.6.5 Update - should work. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayFlower (Post 51359)
I guess I'll wait with upgrading to 10.6.5 until the USB issue has been addressed although using the old kexts shouldn't be too much of an issue for now?

I have no problems using 10.6.4 kexts so far, but i prefer solutions instead of work-arounds. ;)

RayFlower 11-11-2010 10:28 PM

Thanks, that did the trick, got a fully functional system now, and afp works too.
Let's just hope apple releases the kernel sources quickly so we can take advantage of the new kernel and hopefully bring even better support for us AMD users:)

EDIT:
It seems I spoke too soon, with -force64 i can't run 32bitcode, uhm could you in depth describe the patching procedure please?

EDIT
It seems like this upgrade installed a new /usr/lib/dyld, replacing it with a prepatched one did the trick.

Imkantus 11-12-2010 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayFlower (Post 51369)
EDIT:
It seems I spoke too soon, with -force64 i can't run 32bitcode, uhm could you in depth describe the patching procedure please?

EDIT
It seems like this upgrade installed a new /usr/lib/dyld, replacing it with a prepatched one did the trick.

Well here comes the -force64 Guide. :D

When you are using Andy's v4 or v5 Patch Kernel you do not need to patch /usr/lib/dyld itself, only the bindings.

Use the tool posted by Andy to do so, copy amd_insn_patcher to /usr/sbin then use the following Syntax:

amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib ~/Desktop/libSystem.B.dylib
amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B_debug.dylib ~/Desktop/libSystem_debug.B.dylib
amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B_profile.dylib ~/Desktop/libSystem.B_profile.dylib

Last two ones are only present if Xcode is installed on your system.
The patched files will appear on your Desktop, use "open /usr/lib" on Terminal to open the folder, open Disk-Utility, replace the three files by dropping them into /usr/lib by Finder. Select your harddrive in Disk-Utility and run Repair Permissions Task, wait till it is done and reboot.

After reboot open Terminal again and run the following command:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache

Now for the AMD users out there, there are still CPUIDs left to patch, this can be done using amd_insn_patcher too, but this is laborious, so I have made a cpuid.txt that only needs to be dropped onto Maxxus Patcher GUI Icon - get it from the attachment. (Note that you will need to patch more files than those in that file, if you are going to use pure legacy i386 mode / without -force64) :)

This is what is giving me a fully working AMD system. :cool:

fumoboy007 11-12-2010 02:54 AM

Same symptoms plus a few

USB not working, wireless not working, bluetooth input not working.

kocoman 11-12-2010 01:21 PM

I am getting hard freeze (no panic screen, just mouse freeze) after the update

how to diagnose it?

edit: I think it might be with Parallels 6... I've updated to the latest version and try it again.. will edit post if it still hangs

Also has anyone got stuck in 10.6.4 and printer not work after the update?

rog1121 11-12-2010 06:54 PM

USB Problems

For all of you that cant get your mice etc working, Just download these kexts provided by nawcom and put them in Extra/Extensions. (Make sure to run pfix afterwards)

Pharuk 11-12-2010 10:39 PM

Updated from combo downloaded. USB issue solved re-installed 10.6.4 kexts IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext. Fixed permissions. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/sty...t/rolleyes.gif

Snow Leopard 10.6.5, Leopard 10.5.8, Win7
GA-MA770-DS3, AMD SB700, AMD64 5600+, GF-9500GT, Realtek ALC888,
Realtek 8111C, IEEE 1394a, 2x2GB 800 DDR2, Sata AHCI Seagate ST31000528AS

RayFlower 11-13-2010 03:01 AM

I noticed i don't get the good old firewire error in the boot up process, but without limiting the cpu count from 4 to 3 it's stil acting up, the buffer(on my presonus firebox) keeps going all over the place and lose streams all the time, but oh well i guess I just have to live with it.

fumoboy007 11-13-2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumoboy007 (Post 51375)
USB not working, wireless not working, bluetooth input not working.

USB fixed using old IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage, wireless fixed using old IO80211Family (only the executable is needed), bluetooth input fixed using old IOBluetoothHIDDriver.

wastez 11-13-2010 11:23 AM

Hello,

Do you use the updated legacy_kernel?
Does anyone use the anv qoopz kernel rel4 with updated dyld?

Does anyone have a radeon 5xxx series and run a benchmark with it?
Would be really interessting if the card is faster then before?

Greets

gedna 11-14-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imkantus (Post 51373)

When you are using Andy's v4 or v5 Patch Kernel you do not need to patch /usr/lib/dyld itself, only the bindings.

Use the tool posted by Andy to do so, copy amd_insn_patcher to /usr/sbin then use the following Syntax:

amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib ~/Desktop/libSystem.B.dylib
amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B_debug.dylib ~/Desktop/libSystem_debug.B.dylib
amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B_profile.dylib ~/Desktop/libSystem.B_profile.dylib

Last two ones are only present if Xcode is installed on your system.
The patched files will appear on your Desktop, use "open /usr/lib" on Terminal to open the folder, open Disk-Utility, replace the three files by dropping them into /usr/lib by Finder. Select your harddrive in Disk-Utility and run Repair Permissions Task, wait till it is done and reboot.

After reboot open Terminal again and run the following command:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache

Now for the AMD users out there, there are still CPUIDs left to patch, this can be done using amd_insn_patcher too, but this is laborious, so I have made a cpuid.txt that only needs to be dropped onto Maxxus Patcher GUI Icon - get it from the attachment. (Note that you will need to patch more files than those in that file, if you are going to use pure legacy i386 mode / without -force64) :)

This is what is giving me a fully working AMD system. :cool:

thank Imkantus for this Guide :) anyways, i cant use 64mode because i got slower system, dont know what is the problem but all benchmarks ar much lower, than just 32bit, and whole system feels slower and more glitchy

Imkantus 11-14-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gedna (Post 51415)
i cant use 64mode because i got slower system, dont know what is the problem

Neither I do - maybe try to clear all caches. ("/Library/Caches", "~/Library/Caches" + "/System/Library/Caches")

gedna 11-14-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imkantus (Post 51416)
Neither I do - maybe try to clear all caches. ("/Library/Caches", "~/Library/Caches" + "/System/Library/Caches")

naah, outcome is the same

dawiinci 11-20-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imkantus (Post 51373)

Now for the AMD users out there, there are still CPUIDs left to patch, …

Thank you for this guide. I still need some help to fully understand what I’m doing there.
  1. Why do we patch the dyld?
  2. After upgrading to 10.6.5(6,7) do I have to do the dyld patching again?
  3. Is CPUID patching really complete if I use this file AND patch dyld?
  4. After upgrading to 10.6.5(6,7) do I have to do the CPUID patching again and if so will the CPUID.txt change?
  5. Updating iTunes or Quicktime can cause CPUID problems. Do I only need to patch the CPUID with a new CPUID.txt?
  6. Is it important which kernel version I use? (i.e. 10.4 with all patched to 10.6.5)

I hope you can make these things clearer to me. Usually I install on a vanilla system and I don’t want to have problems when I update to 10.6.6.

Imkantus 11-20-2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawiinci (Post 51511)
Why do we patch the dyld?

You do not need to patch /usr/lib/dyld itself using the latest Kernel Builds, only the /usr/lib/libSystem.B*.dylib files.
AMD CPU don't support SYSENTER Opcode, what is leading pure 32-Bit Apps into crash when running 64-Bit mode and causing some other problems, this resolves this issue.

Quote:

After upgrading to 10.6.5(6,7) do I have to do the dyld patching again?

After upgrading to 10.6.5(6,7) do I have to do the CPUID patching again and if so will the CPUID.txt change?

Updating iTunes or Quicktime can cause CPUID problems. Do I only need to patch the CPUID with a new CPUID.txt?
Well if one of the patched files gets overwritten by any update you'll ofcourse have to patch the new one. (In case of CPUID checks, only if those are still present.)

Quote:

Is CPUID patching really complete if I use this file [...]?
Propably not, as there are still more binaries, that contain CPUID checks, for example /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Spotlight.prefPane does - but those don't need to be patched when running -force64 mode, as those files are for both architectures and the 64-Bit part doesn't contain CPUID.

Quote:

Is it important which kernel version I use? (i.e. 10.4 with all patched to 10.6.5)]
The Kernel Version itself should not matter, but the kind of applied patching may do.

dawiinci 11-20-2010 12:59 PM

Thanks, now I understand why to use force64.

So the command for the dlyd is always the same, so I can make a script that makes this after every update and don’t have to care anymore about it?

Btw. Are there any plans when we get auto patching for CPUID and dlyd?

Edit:
I just booted my System with -force64 without any more patching and it works much better. 32 Bit apps are crashing so I need to do what you described.

rdbram 11-22-2010 06:50 AM

Nooooooooooo :(

Video broke for my vanilla install. QE/CI finally worked for me in 10.6.4 with my GTX 260, now all I get when I boot is a blue screen. :'(

iawval 11-23-2010 11:48 PM

well done!

[quote=Imkantus;51373]Well here comes the -force64 Guide. :D

Thank your guide solved perfectly Iphoto 11 import crashing problem

wastez 11-25-2010 07:33 AM

Hello,

I want to update my dyld shared cache but everytime i try it with command sudo update_dyld_shared_cache it says "unkown command": :(
Does anybody knows this problem and know how to solve it?

Would be really great if someone can help me. ;)

Thx & Greetz

m28ew 11-25-2010 08:27 AM

@ wastez

have you checked the "/usr/bin" folder ?
the "update_dyld_shared_cache" file should be there

wastez 11-25-2010 08:56 AM

Hello,

I´m not @ home but i think yesterday i looked for it and i wasn´t able to find it.
But i didn´t remove the file.
Can anyone can copy the file???

Thx & greetz