InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [GUIDE] (w/ photos) - 100% working Acer 6935g iAtkos v7 10.5.7 with nVidia 9600m GT (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3357)

Gurruwiwi 07-12-2009 08:56 PM

[GUIDE] (w/ photos) - 100% working Acer 6935g iAtkos v7 10.5.7 with nVidia 9600m GT

3 Attachment(s)
This guide is a long read, but very VERY simple. People with little experience, don't be scared to try, just be sure you have backed up all you important data as we need to have a clean HD to start with.

UPDATE 22nd September - Added Snow Leopard tutorial, check my signature

UPDATE 4th September - Snow Leopard almost running perfect (page12)

UPDATE 24TH August - Added dual boot guide Vista / Win 7 at the bottom !

UPDATE 30 June - Added forgotten Ethernet section of tutorial - added kext to attachments

It would be nice to hear success stories. Did my tutorial work for you? even if you have other laptops, if its close to this one it very well might work! So, if you dont hijack the thread, sure thing jump in and I'll do my best to help you out !

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wow !

What an adventure I assure you.

Amazing how this laptop, with it strange, klingon-ish multimedia controller works BETTER, MUCH BETTER with OSx than with Vista/Win7 (32 or 64, tried both, 'tis the end of M$ era!) - temperature are lower, batteries last longer... bios just works better overall... amazing!

My very first, 100% working hackintosh. Actually a really good hackbook pro clone! Had a couple before, but this one excels !

My exact model is Acer 6935g 864G32mn

Native 1366x786 resolution !

3Gb/s sata transfers (not 1,5 bottleneck like new macbooks heheh)

4gb of Ram at 1066mhz

9600m GT 512ram Gddr3 with full QE /CI, ext monitors, vga + hdmi

e-sata ok !

Bluetooth

Sd Card reader

Ethernet

Webcam

IR port is present, but have no remote to test. Tried with a Mac remote, but obviously it wouldnt work (IR codes different) - going to try a universal remote or buy an official acer one....

Sleep kind of quirky (but I dont use it ever, but only hangs after long sleep), but good hibernation!

So let get started... (single boot)

- from USB I loaded up iAtkos v7
- With disk utility choose HD and partion with 1 partition again (essential so as to not only erase drive, but to erase bootloader info from previous try outs. I've been at this non stop for two weeks! did over 15 instals os Leo and Snow Leo.)
- Customize with;

iAtkos essential system
Bootlader - Chameleon 2
x86 Patches - Extra, DSDT, Decrypter (Apple Decrypt), AppleSMBIOS by Netkas, ACPI x86 ACPI, Disabler

VGA - NO STRINGS JUST YET! - But please do choose BOTH NVEnabler 0.1 (by fassl) + GT200 EVGA driver
Installing Leo was very easy, this video card sure was another story...

Drivers - system - Sata - AHCI (check in bios that it is set to AHCI and not IDE)

Intel Speedstep - both
Apple PS/2
Laptop Battery
NTFS-3G
Broadcom 43xx - (go on ebay and buy a 10€ model 1390 or 1490 Dell/Broadcom wireless PCI-e for native Airport)

Post install actions.

Install ! :)

Skip verify if you trust (know) your DVD / USB is ok to save time.

At the end, reboot, create your account.

Because there is love in the air, you need not make hex files and hunt down horrible efi strings and edit files hidden far in the depths of your system. Just download my com.apple.boot.plist herein attatched and just replace it in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

If anyone needs an efi string to try for themselves on another laptop, just download it and open with text edit. At the bottom there is a "<key>device-properties</key>" line, right after that, the huge pile of numbers and letters is the string.

This string is for Nvidia 9600m GT with 512 ram and with --> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Much more important than ram or exact model, is the PciRoot !! without it, injectors cannot talk to graphic card !

So, if my com.apple.boot.plist does not work for you (people other than acer 6935g) - use gfxutil method to make a in.plist and convert it ti hex (gfxutil again), copy string to your com.apple.boot.plist. Custom Efi String, OSxTools did NOT work for me!

So back to tutorial... once you have copied over the previous one, reboot and say hello to QE/CI and everything else!.

Now for the "fun" part. I have another laptop running ideneb, where I have my 1490 Broadcom wireless. All happy and dandy I went to swap them out, and LOOK ! Its not soldered, but I dare NOT take those screws out! They MUST be superglued or semi-rivetted I dont know! Just got confirmation that they are just quite tight, mine must be super extra tight. The pci-e wifi card is NOT soldered NOR rivetted)

Then I noticed that right next to it there was anther pci-e slot !!! WOW COOL

Dropped in the card, the #%"$& wireless connectors do not reach the terminals! AAAAARG !!!!

But then, when anxiety dropped, the light bulb lit in my brain. There had to be some logic behind it. So yea, just carefully disconnect the wifi, pull the cables back into the chassis, with a tool get them out from their brackets and holders, gentley place it over the HDD. There is but 1 piece of tape holding, so I used it to secure the cables to the HDD aluminum protector.

Connect connectors.

Power up and enjoy native airport.

For ETHERNET -> Install (with OSXtools) AttansicL1eEthernet.kext that is attatched also... It should wake up after 30 seconds without reboot. First time something like that ever happened to me but it did! Otherwise, reboot and it will be there.

Using OSX tools, install the OSSDHCIblockdevice kext - this is for SD card. Reboot. If SD card does not work at first, you need to do the folloing. At the top menu bar (after you insert SD card) an icon appears having 3 or 4 instances of the card. Select "poer off" on all of them. The icon dissapears. Do not remove SD card. Reboot. The card should show up, and start working normally. If not, repeat procedure for same/other SD cards.

Multimedia touchpad controls Front Row !!

What can I say, happy as a bunny.

If you succeed or have any issues, jump in and I'll do my best !

DUAL BOOT GUIDE FOR VISTA / WIN 7
Dual booting, people think its a problem but it is NOT, you only have to understand how play with bootloaders and active partitions.

Install Osx first, install Vista/Win7 second, this will "break" OSx booting, dont worry. Vista has set its partion as active.

If it gives an error at the end, its normal.

Insert Vista DVD and choose repair option, when it looks for OS, dont let it automatically fix, go to the next menu and choose the command prompt.

In command prompt type

"diskpart" - without the "" of course, just to let you know the sequence. Press enter

"list disk" - this shows all disks present.

"select disk X" - where X is the numer 0, 1, 2 whatever. See the number of your Leo/vista install.

"list partition" same procedure as before. See number of your Leo install

"select partition X" - where X = Leo partition

"active" - press enter

"quit" - just to be nice and tidy. Not really necessary

Reboot

Now you'll have Chameleon showing both partition on boot.

If by any chance when you reboot you get an error, insert iAtkos DVD and ONLY select Chameleon 2 and Post Action. This of course to the destination of your Leo and NOT Vista/Win7 partition

Reboot and you should be able to go into Microcrap Vomit, or Winsh*t 7.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...Picture2-1.png

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...o/P1010531.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...o/P1010536.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...o/P1010540.jpg

SoundForSoul 07-18-2009 05:12 AM

It definetly works !!!

I did everything that you said, and IT WORKS like a charm!. Installed it on the same 6935g model, had another partition with xp, and now it dual boots falwlessly, just that i have to change it form bios into ide mode whenever i want to enter windows, and ahci mode whenever i wanted to enter leopard. Many thanks for this tutorial !!
Now i just have to add the strings for the graphic card.

mcdond 07-18-2009 03:20 PM

Is there any reason to install iAtkos from a usb drive rather then a dvd disk ?

Im installing it now so fingers crossed x

mcdond 07-18-2009 04:18 PM

I am completley new to all this :(

Ive tried Ideneb and also iATKOS but no matter what after I get past the first install stage my laptop restarts and just stays on the Grey Apple logo forever :(

Ive tried with ACPI and IDE mode and i get the same response.

Any ideas ?

Gurruwiwi 07-18-2009 07:27 PM

Hey !!

Yes - USB is much better because it is way faster than DVD, so if something goes wrong, you waste half the time re-installing etc... Also, for more advanced users, you can patch Chameleon/ Retail with custom stuff without having to burn a new DVD.

For instance... I installed iAtkos v7, then Snow Leopard, but then I changed my mind and re-installed iAtkos. With the same USB I did this al this in under two hours.

Mcdond ;

- When you insert DVD/USB, did you format your OSX destination drive with GUID partition table and HFS+ Journaled format ?

- Did you reach the Install section, or does it stay forever AFTER install ? If this is the case, did you get the forbidden sign, or does it just hang with the apple log and the circle going round and round ?

- Sound for Soul ... you can try and copy the boot.ini file from you leopard install into the root of the XP install. This file is hidden, so you have to do the following (very quick terminal trick)

http://www.brooksandrus.com/blog/200...les-in-finder/

flag it "FALSE" when you are done, if you want....

Chameleoon 2 should be able to boot MBR (partition scheme for general XP installs), you shouldnt have to change in BIOS. Either that, or, I think, use a XP that has SATA drivers! The newer XP's have this, older one's dont. From your symptom, I suspect it is XP that cannot read SATA, and you really shouldnt have to go in BIOS to dual boot.

But try copying the boot file. If Chameleon reads it, I am almost certain it will boot.

AAAHH !! Also Sound for Soul, ... if you copy my com.apple.boot.plist, the string is already inside!! you dont have to do it, just copy it !

The file is ONLY a custom com.apple.boot.plist with my (6935g specific) nvidia string, nothing else. Either it wakes up your card, or does nothing at all. No risks, so you dont even have to back up you origial file. At best, edit the file, remove the string, and you revert back to a custom install non-efi-stringed file.

Hope this helps!!

Gurruwiwi 07-18-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdond (Post 29598)

Ive tried Ideneb and also iATKOS but no matter what after I get past the first install stage my laptop restarts and just stays on the Grey Apple logo forever :(

Any ideas ?

Sorry, didnt read correctly...

Did you

1 - format the drive GUID + hfs journalled ?
2 - did you customize the install right before clicking "install" with the setting above?

if you did, when Chameleon displays the countown bar before botting, press any key, the countdown bar with dissapear.

write " -v " .... it will appear in the lower left corner. Press enter. This is called "booting in verbose mode" - Where you see line by line each kext and code booting the system.

Take a picture of the error screen / KP (kernel panic) and post. Also try booting with

-v -f

Sometimes the system can kernel panic once or twice but boot only the third and be very stable! the "f" flag ignores the extension.mkext (a cache version of all you kexts) and rebuilds the file, so it could cure some issues.

You must have chosen some wrong or extra custom setting, if you have the same model as me. Post you exact model ! sometime, just 1 piece of hardware that is different is sufficient to prevent the system from booting.

There are many Acer 6936g with nvidia 9600m GT 1GB with DDR2.... if this is the case
my com.apple.boot.plist will likely not work for you!

but then again, it very well could if PCI roots info is the same... so do post you most complete specs

Xiloa 07-18-2009 08:27 PM

Hi, I've used your guide with a few mods on my 6930g and it's working great! Thanks a lot. Right now I don't have internet as the 5100 doesn't have support. I just have two quick questions for you.

1. Did you get your mic to work? I have audio and webcam support right now, it shows up that I have a mic but doesn't detect when I talk... I'm using VoodooHDA

2. I was able to take a broadcom wireless card from an old laptop that I know works in Leopard. Trouble is I don't know how to put it into this one. Its a small square with a wire attached to it that plugs into the motherboard. I was hoping to put this in my laptop and get wireless working.

Thanks! :)

Gurruwiwi 07-18-2009 08:44 PM

Hi Xiloa!

I must confess that the tittle says 100% but in reality it should read 96%... ( it WILL be 100% soon, that is my mission !!! )

I am currently working on the same sound issue. It is a must for me, as I work alot with audio and it sure is handy to have the internal mic working. (plus skype and stuff)

I dont think the external mic in os working either. But I am getting down into this issue, have to test some edits and I will post. Any info is very welcome!

I also experience some click and pops ons some video encodings. Changing system frequency to 48k work some times, but the soundcard does not show up in system profile.

I am sure I have to string it to... that is my next project, but unfortunately not for this weekend. Installed Protools 8 (with mbox 2) and it rocks. So does Reason 4. Its just some video's with stranger encodings that act up.

Also, since yesterday, with no apparant change in system, when shutting down, right before power off, the speaker make a mild "pop" sound.

I will report soon on this.

Also, I am going to try re-installing again without choosing the broadcom driver. Vanilla kernel has airport, and although wifi is 100% working, it shows up as "third party vendor".

Are you sure your broadcom card is in pci-e format? It is as simple as changing Ram, except here you dont even have to remove the older one, there is an extra slot. Check my pictures. It is just slide in, screw it in tight, connect cables and that is it.

It should be 100% native, so I am guessing I shouldnt have tried that driver. No big issue. All apps and programs read correct info, but I really want the closet thing to the real deal.

Xiloa 07-18-2009 09:11 PM

Hmm well the card appears to not be PCIe. Ah well..I do have a TrendNet TEW-424UB wireless stick based on the 8187b. It works great but it always overheats after about an hour and causes Leopard to crash instead of simply disconnecting. Thanks for the info on the mic. I might have to wait for a 5100 driver :-/

Gurruwiwi 07-19-2009 01:54 AM

Not likely to happen I'm afraid.

Really, can't go wrong with 1390 or 1490 Dell/Broadcom from ebay. They run about 5-25€

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Wireless-1490-Dual-band-WLAN-Mini-PCI-E-Card_W0QQitemZ220445680575QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item33539623bf&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1315|293 %3A1|294%3A50

Xiloa 07-19-2009 02:07 AM

That's too bad. I was really hoping for that as some people are working on it. I'll use this usb for now but I wish I could find an exposed plug on my motherboard for that other broadcom adapter.

Gurruwiwi 07-19-2009 02:13 AM

Try unscrewing the adaptor. It is easier than HDD or Ram swapping.

This is the very first laptop I've ever seen that doesnt let you remove the wifi card. I've swapped many already, and the fact my model has two pci-e slots for wifi suggests that they really intended on leaving the intel one fixed to the board.

It will surely pop out easy. Then download drivers for Windows if you dual boot.

Xiloa 07-19-2009 02:16 AM

Okay I will try that but it also looks like the power wires go underneath the other side of the laptop which is inaccessible?

Xiloa 07-19-2009 03:29 AM

Turns out the card wasn't PCIE. I don't have the money to spend on this right now so I'm a bit out of luck as my usb will only last for <1hr and internal doesnt work.

mcdond 07-19-2009 05:22 PM

Ok this is my expierne lol Also this is my laptop Model : 6935G - 643G32Bn

I have the latest copy of IAtkos v7 and IDenev 10.5.6. I am running a Acer Aspire 6935 ( 2GHz Dual Core Intel / 3GB DDR3 / 9600 GM 512MB / 300GB WD HD / ABGN WLAN )

Everytime i install Either of the two I cannot get past the first install stage ( after it asks you to restart )

I just get either 1 of 3 things. 1. An Apple symbol that stays forever, 2 Apple symbol and after 5 minutes a Grey Cross box Will appear at the top of the apple. 3. my screen will go from the apple symbol to black and no activity will happen!

Now i HAVE been able to get past this stage TWICE with iAtkos by just installing Kernal and base files ONLY ! and 1 keyboard driver.

I have tried to replicate what I done but it seems no matter what options or drivers I pick I have no luck and cannot get past the first install stage!

This is what I do so bare with me again lol.

I load up IAtkos / Disk Utility / Split my hard drive into 2 partitions ( 20 GB OSX and 280 GB Untitled ) Both Mac Extended ( Journaled ) and GUID Partitions )

Then I run first aid on both partitions which passes. Then I continue to the Install

On customize I select the following ( Iatkos v7 man system , Bootloader ( Cham2 ) no x86 , Keyboard Driver Only and Post-Install Actions )

I have tried lots of variations including the tortorial provided by others who ahve the same laptop as me! No matter what options I select on IAtkos or Idenb it wont get past the last install stage

I have tried with ACHI + IDE mode same effect. I even tried my original config that allowed me get past the install stage but that doesnt wotrk anymore!

PLEASE Help!

Gurruwiwi 07-20-2009 01:16 PM

Mcdond,

You must be overlooking something. If we have the same laptop, heck, even with ANY core2duo this tutorial should work (except gfx, sound etc) but it should be able to boot.

Bios to AHCI

First of all, you must chose 1 decrypter, I used apple decrypt, you could try dsmos... and I think the Disabler is also mandatory for system boot.

When installing, never simply overwrite install over a previous version !! never! Erase drive, or better, re-partition it (1 partition or 2 for dual boot)

When DVD/USB boots, go into disk utility and erase/partition, the continue install.

GUID + hfs journalled, we covered that...

Then, continue install, and customize. At the end the green tick appears and it asks to reboot.

Reboot. When Chameleon shows up with the countdown bar, press any key, the countdown will stop.

now write "'-v -f" and press enter. Be sure you read the bottom left corner before pressing enter to be sure it is well written. Without the " " !!

This boots in verbose mode, where you can see the code flying through.

If there is a kernel panic, take a picture and post, its the only way to know where it is hanging. Otherwise, some timeouts take alot of time to go through, be patient.

Osx is quite fidly to install, but once there... it is well worth it !

I am working on the sound issue, and if I get it working dandy, I could make an image install of my system and upload it somewhere. That would be even easier than reading tutorials :p:p:p

Gurruwiwi 07-20-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Apple Logo looping staying forever
Apple logo with Cross
Apple logo then my screen goes black and i get nothing forever.
1 - suggests the "Still waiting for root device" issue. This is not a kernel panic, but the system is hanging waiting for a device to talk back. This is almost certain when you tried in IDE mode, so the system just stops responding.

2 - suggests KP (kernel panic) where some kext, or combination of kexts, are wrong and blocking the system, Must boot in verbose to know. As in the first.
Even if you chose wrong kexts (drivers) it might not kernel panic. It just depends in general. To me this suggests you might have installed a new version without erasing HDD, so you got conflciting files.

3 - this is video issue (duh! looll :p ) and for sure you tried one of the other Nvidia injectors. This issue is very easy to resolve, just remove NVDAresman.kext which causes the screen black and never return. Some people have edited this kext, geforce.kext NVhal50 etc with the card string and resolution, display codes for nvidia vga+vga, vga+ dvi etc etc.

That is not needed here because I have put the string in the boot.plist in the first post. But you DONT have to do this right now. The system will boot if you dont chose any video card without problems - no resolutions, no QE CI etc, but it will boot nice.

Hope this helps

Gurruwiwi 07-23-2009 09:29 PM

Sound update.

Some progress, but unfortunately not quite right yet.

Tried some plist editing and some kexts, but without much luck so far.

But I have found that the updated voodoohda.kext works better than iAtkos DVD one.
Sound plays fine, better than before actually, but isnt perfect as mic in is still off.

get it here - http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/

Curiously, this kext woke up the subwoofer in Windows 7 !! oh yeah, got it to dual boot perfect with Chameleon 2, really simple actually, will write about it soon. Made it work, went on youtube to test and BOOM, looool... Its a problem hundreds of people have, win7 32 and 64, vista 32 and 64 and Xp, tried them all, none worked as good as Osx loool.

Stiwy 07-29-2009 06:24 AM

Ethernet problem

Hi,

Thanks for your guide, system is working fine, but I have problem only with ethernet connection.

It looks like my system cant find a network card or something like this, or I just don't know how to set network in mac, I try DHCP connection, but it can't find my IP address, but with linux, or windows is working, so I dont know, how can I resolve this problem, because, without internet is difficult to resolving something.

I never work with mac before, but I listened from friends, that is great, better like windows. :)

I will be very thankfull, if somebody can help me.

PS: Sorry about my english, Im from Slovakia

edit: I have the same laptop model like you

Gurruwiwi 07-29-2009 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE - Added this part of tutorial to first post
---------------

Hi there!

You are absolutely right thank you! I forgot to include ethernet tutorial. Went on a short holiday and just got back, I'll update the first post to include it later.

In the mean time, just install the kext attatched. You don't even need to reboot, it wakes up after 30 seconds or so, but if it doesnt, just reboot.

Stiwy, try the mac, but be warned that if you do, you might never want to go back :p - its kind of strange to have an operating system that simply... er.. works as it is supposed to, lol...

To this day, I've been way WAY more satisfied with hackintoshes than with pure microsoft systems.

Cheers!

Stiwy 07-31-2009 12:25 AM

Thanks - everything is working fine

Hi again,

so thanks for ethernet kext, now is everything working fine.

Mac OS X is in one word just EXCELLENT operating system.

So simple, so beautyfull, so stable, so native :-) I hope that I never need use WIN anymore.

Realy thanks for your tutorial :-)

Stiwy

edit: Maybe my last question: Is possible to update this system using automatic updates from apple? or I must turn this of?

Gurruwiwi 08-03-2009 02:18 PM

It is perfectly safe to do system update on all component, theoretically including not only software update, but operating system update.

Software is always ok because it doesnt mess with your install.

Os is ok because, theoretically, because of chameleon and the Extra folder. Here is where you should put all kexts that get replaced during an update (audio, video, whatevers) - also disabler kext and appledecrypt prevent problems, but I really dont how to explain. That being said, I've had some problems installing kext to the Chameleon Extra folder, some kext loaded, others didn't (dependencies etc) - and I have such a stable system I really dont want to mess with it right now. I'm just riding the waiting waves for Snow Leopard :)

Anyway, from what I have read, Chameleon 2 rc 2 might be the holy grail for retail install method... got to get into it deeper though...

Stiwy - update software no problem. If you are having OS issues with something, and an update fixes it, go ahead. If not, just leave it. This is 10.5.7, the next revision will be out very soon, and then what, in 1 year they release 10.5.9 with some seriously deep - Leopard wont be much better than it is already, just mini-bug hunting from now on...

gtee 08-04-2009 12:41 PM

hi i've got the 6935g too..

it's working fine for me now. i went out to buy a generic OSX compatible USB wifi for 14 Euros.

now wireless works.

have to read carefully the instructions not to leave out any steps.

chaka123 08-04-2009 01:18 PM

ethernet not working

hey great guide, your solution for gfx made my 9600m gs 512mb fully working after a half year of trying ;)

so now i want to get my ethernet working but your kext for AttansicL1e doens´t work for me.

lspci gave me that:
09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter [1969:1026] (rev b0)

so dev-id is the same like in your info.plist of your kext

i have an aspire 6930G which is most similar to 6935 i think

gtee 08-05-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdond (Post 29598)

Any ideas ?

if you boot using -v it should be okay...

chrish10 08-05-2009 09:55 PM

Please can you help ?? I have an Acer 6930g which is similar spec to your 6935 but i just cannot get wifi working.
I have replaced the Intel 5100 with a broadcom 1490 but no matter what i try i cannot get the laptop to recognise the card.
I know the card works as i have the laptop dual booting with windows and the broadcom works fine.

Any ideas please

Gurruwiwi 08-06-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaka123 (Post 30464)
hey great guide, your solution for gfx made my 9600m gs 512mb fully working after a half year of trying ;)

so now i want to get my ethernet working but your kext for AttansicL1e doens´t work for me.

lspci gave me that:
09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter [1969:1026] (rev b0)

so dev-id is the same like in your info.plist of your kext

i have an aspire 6930G which is most similar to 6935 i think

Did you follow my guide, or do you have a previous install and applied this kext?

it could be you have to place the kext in a bootloader directory to load, or override vanilla... In my guide, with chameleon, it not even necessary to place in Extra folder, just in S/L/E.

Sorry, thats all I can help, look around and search for success stories of your model...

Gurruwiwi 08-06-2009 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtee (Post 30512)
if you boot using -v it should be okay...

I dont think that will solve it, it will basically just enter verbose mode and hang. at least you'll know where, to find why, and fix.

you cant try -v -x for safe mode boot...

Gurruwiwi 08-06-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrish10 (Post 30518)
Please can you help ?? I have an Acer 6930g which is similar spec to your 6935 but i just cannot get wifi working.
I have replaced the Intel 5100 with a broadcom 1490 but no matter what i try i cannot get the laptop to recognise the card.
I know the card works as i have the laptop dual booting with windows and the broadcom works fine.

Any ideas please

I think, I'm not sure, your model might have a physical switch to turn on wireless and off?

If it does, you need to apply the "pin 20" trick. I worked like a charm on another laptop I had. Its a trick where you apply a piece o tape to cover the pin that receives the on/off signal. Then Leopard will see it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...ic=56015&st=20

tell me if it works for you!

gtee 08-08-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30528)
I dont think that will solve it, it will basically just enter verbose mode and hang. at least you'll know where, to find why, and fix.

you cant try -v -x for safe mode boot...

hi! thanks for the guide!

by the way, do you know how can i get the mic to work?

what have you found out regarding the vanilla kernel? can it detect your original wifi board?

i dunno if atheros drivers can activate the original wifi card?

one interesting thing i obeserved, after updating the OS online and running Transmission torrent, my system seems to kernel panic alot, donno what's going on...do you know the command to examine the logs?

chrish10 08-09-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30529)
I think, I'm not sure, your model might have a physical switch to turn on wireless and off?

If it does, you need to apply the "pin 20" trick. I worked like a charm on another laptop I had. Its a trick where you apply a piece o tape to cover the pin that receives the on/off signal. Then Leopard will see it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...ic=56015&st=20

tell me if it works for you!

no still not working even after the "pin 20" trick. i think i will try getting a broadcom 1390 and give that a try.

Gurruwiwi 08-09-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtee (Post 30647)
hi! thanks for the guide!

by the way, do you know how can i get the mic to work?

what have you found out regarding the vanilla kernel? can it detect your original wifi board?

i dunno if atheros drivers can activate the original wifi card?

one interesting thing i obeserved, after updating the OS online and running Transmission torrent, my system seems to kernel panic alot, donno what's going on...do you know the command to examine the logs?

I am working on the audio issue. I'd love to get the mic working as I'd use it ALOT... but, unfortunately, nothing so far. It is only a matter of time, but unfortunately again, I can't at this moment dwell into this.

I have no idea how to check what is panic'ing your system.

Atheros makes wireless that is also airport. But, its just like windows (except some very rare situations) Atheros "drivers" work for atheros cards. Intel 5100 is NOT supported nor are any ported drivers. There are some intels that work, but not very stable. Best bet is always broadcom 1390/1490 to get WEP, WAP, stable, speed etc... Atheros too, but I never used them myself so I cant comment.

Anyway, look around for your KP issues and post back. Also, your system too, make model etc.

I'm using Vuze, getting fed up with it though, might try transmission some day. Vuze works really well here.

Good luck!

Gurruwiwi 08-09-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrish10 (Post 30674)
no still not working even after the "pin 20" trick. i think i will try getting a broadcom 1390 and give that a try.

Be sure to really try it. Cut tape that is just that small. be sure to cover both sides of the pin. Also, when inserting the pcie card, make sure it doesnt slide out (I thought it was bullsh*t, but then it worked!!)

Also, there are also other pin yo can cover depending on system/make/model

On another Acer, pin 20 worked. Search for you model, I am sure I've seen people with success stories guide. If you go "insane" you could try the other known forum, as it exists for a longer time, there is alot more threads.

That being said, this forums is 20x better :p

Gurruwiwi 08-10-2009 12:52 AM

Also,

try booting into Windows with the pin 20 trick. It just might wake it up. This seems to work sometimes too.

chrish10 08-10-2009 06:07 PM

Hi,
I covered the pin with nail varnish (several layers) but only one side as per the other forum.Do i need to do both sides ? the card works absolutely fine in windows but nothing in Mac. The wireless icon doesnt even light up to show powered .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30707)
Also,

try booting into Windows with the pin 20 trick. It just might wake it up. This seems to work sometimes too.

Gurruwiwi 08-10-2009 06:26 PM

Varnish? Are you sure its not conductive?

The idea to use tape is to interrupt the physical on off switch from un-powering the card. Windows will work because the BIOS can send info to OS to recognize the on/off status of the physical switch. On OSx this does not happen.

So with regular cheap tape you cover this pin so it is always "on". I dont know for sure, but do try using tape to cover both sides. Boot into windows to check it is recognized and that the button does nothing.

When you succeed, boot into OSx and it should recognize. And be sure that you install the BCM41xx kext - this can be done by loading up iAtkos 7 install, unchecking EVERYTHING and just select the broadcom wireless driver.

When it is done, it sould reboot by itself. Sometimes, after installing the kext, right before rebooting, there can be a exclamation mark in yellow giving some "error" - just ignore this and reboot.

To be more precise, on reboot flag it with -f flag to rebuild cache, but its not mandatory

Also, if varnish IS non-conductive, you can very easily spill onto the next pin. How can you be that precise in covering just that pin with varnish?!?! The difficulty with tape is just cutting that a small piece, can't imagine with varnish...

chrish10 08-10-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30726)
Varnish? Are you sure its not conductive?

The idea to use tape is to interrupt the physical on off switch from un-powering the card. Windows will work because the BIOS can send info to OS to recognize the on/off status of the physical switch. On OSx this does not happen.

So with regular cheap tape you cover this pin so it is always "on". I dont know for sure, but do try using tape to cover both sides. Boot into windows to check it is recognized and that the button does nothing.

When you succeed, boot into OSx and it should recognize. And be sure that you install the BCM41xx kext - this can be done by loading up iAtkos 7 install, unchecking EVERYTHING and just select the broadcom wireless driver.

When it is done, it sould reboot by itself. Sometimes, after installing the kext, right before rebooting, there can be a exclamation mark in yellow giving some "error" - just ignore this and reboot.

To be more precise, on reboot flag it with -f flag to rebuild cache, but its not mandatory

Also, if varnish IS non-conductive, you can very easily spill onto the next pin. How can you be that precise in covering just that pin with varnish?!?! The difficulty with tape is just cutting that a small piece, can't imagine with varnish...

I taped over both pins (both sides) works fine in windows and the only way i can disable the card is in device manager and not via switch.
But still not detecting in Mac Ox

gtee 08-11-2009 02:20 PM

Realtek Audio Drivers

Some interesting links for you guys..do you know which realtek chip is the acer 6935g using?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...l=audio+driver

gtee 08-11-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30694)
Atheros makes wireless that is also airport. But, its just like windows (except some very rare situations) Atheros "drivers" work for atheros cards. Intel 5100 is NOT supported nor are any ported drivers. There are some intels that work, but not very stable. Best bet is always broadcom 1390/1490 to get WEP, WAP, stable, speed etc... Atheros too, but I never used them myself so I cant comment.

i installed XP before using Atheros and Intel Broadcom software drivers available on some websites, somehow both seems to work. Not sure if the same OEM manufacturer actually produces the same chip for both company.:)

Gurruwiwi 08-12-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrish10 (Post 30730)
I taped over both pins (both sides) works fine in windows and the only way i can disable the card is in device manager and not via switch.
But still not detecting in Mac Ox

Chris, you've got to give more precise info... Installing OSX can be a breeze or a nightmare!

Sometimes its the most insignificant stuff that break the deal.

First things first...

1 - What brand is your wireless pcie?

2 - Talking always about taping BOTH sides, how many pins did you cover? It is just 1 pin that needs covering.

3 - Once you have covered it, you successfully logged into windows and confirmed that you CAN use internet, and that the on/off switch no longer works, correct? If this is true, and the above questions are correct, you are 95% in the clear...

4 - Back to OSX, are you sure you installed correct kext to correct place?

5 - Do you get the airport icon on the top bar? Is it blank with only the outline (card recognized but in software off state) or does it have signal (victory!) - if its the first, you just have to go to Network Utilities and turn it on

6 - If you dont get triangle, something is wrong.

LOL... I was reading back to check what your system specs were, and I just realized that I missed,probably, the most important piece on evidence!

You say...

Quote:

What wifi card are you using ? Only very few are native to Osx!

Yes, got get a broadcom, but make it 1490 just because it has a/b/g and 1390 only has b/g which is great, but for the same price you get a card that will last you longer in time.

Go get it !! :)

Gurruwiwi 08-12-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtee (Post 30790)
i installed XP before using Atheros and Intel Broadcom software drivers available on some websites, somehow both seems to work. Not sure if the same OEM manufacturer actually produces the same chip for both company.:)

Thanks! I think I visited it already.

I've managed to get audio without clicks and pops, digital out etc... but personally, my main issue is to get internal mic rockin´

Been trying and will continue.

Collaboration would be joyfully welcome!

And soon, now that Snow Leopard is Gold Master, I'll be attempting that. Who wants to join in the "fun" ?

Gurruwiwi 08-12-2009 04:03 PM

Oh yeah, people, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...

I am trying my best to help you all in getting your systems up and running, but do please collaborate more.

You can simply do this by POSTING YOUR COMPLETE SYSTEM INFO in your signature. It massively increases you success as it attracts others with similar specs to the threads you are involved with, specially troubleshooting ones!

Also helps to quickly identify issues, like Chris!

I bet 20 imaginary euros his wifi card is not supported, and when he gets the broadcom one, tapes the pin and pops it in, he'll be smiling all day long...

:p

gtee 08-12-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30848)
Thanks! I think I visited it already.

I've managed to get audio without clicks and pops, digital out etc... but personally, my main issue is to get internal mic rockin´

Been trying and will continue.

Collaboration would be joyfully welcome!

And soon, now that Snow Leopard is Gold Master, I'll be attempting that. Who wants to join in the "fun" ?

yeah me too, without the internal mic, i can't do video conferencing.

how can i help?

Gurruwiwi 08-12-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtee (Post 30855)
yeah me too, without the internal mic, i can't do video conferencing.

how can i help?

Well... as long as you know how to fix a kernel panic at boot if you f*ck up, then just do what I do... If not,
then don't... Before I had a second hackbook, and since I have almost zero terminal skills, I had to start fresh install
to fix my mistakes. Now I can just remove the drive, connect it to the other laptop (or friends and girlfriends real Mac's), mount the drive, remove kext, reboot and bingo.

What I generally do...

First, search search search and when you finish, search again.

Then you must read read read read read read.

Then try and try and try, but also try to be systematic, so you can properly undo operations, so you know what NOT to do, what certainly does not work.

Them come back and post your findings. AN POST SYSTEM SPECS TOO :)

So far, nothing has worked, but for sure it has been a lack of the right combination of kext, kext+ plist edit, kext + string etc etc...

There is a solutions though... go buy a cheapo USB compatible mic, should do the trick I guess...

My Mbox 2 workes like a charm, so does my Fireface 800, but I dont want them on all the time!

Plus, many times, after using mbox 2, if I unplug it and then shutdown system, it KP's. This is known to happen on real Macs too.

Gurruwiwi 08-12-2009 06:22 PM

Someone care to try this for me?

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/inde...pic,234.0.html

Got loads of work to get through... I'm swampped right now.

chrish10 08-12-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30850)
Oh yeah, people, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...

I am trying my best to help you all in getting your systems up and running, but do please collaborate more.

You can simply do this by POSTING YOUR COMPLETE SYSTEM INFO in your signature. It massively increases you success as it attracts others with similar specs to the threads you are involved with, specially troubleshooting ones!

Also helps to quickly identify issues, like Chris!

I bet 20 imaginary euros his wifi card is not supported, and when he gets the broadcom one, tapes the pin and pops it in, he'll be smiling all day long...

:p

Please can i have 20 imaginary euru's please :p

It's the Broadcom 1490 i have , i replaced the intel 5100 that come with the Acer 6930g with the Broadcom so i know that the card is supported.
I have done a fresh installation installing iatkos v7 with the exact options you have used using the wireless network Broadcom 43xx kext during installation.
I have covered the pin next to pin 18 on the 1490 and works absolutely fine in windows but no airport icon/triangle etc shows on mac osx desktop, the wifi icon on laptop keyboard does not even light up.
I am pretty sure the right pin is disabled on the card as i am unable to disable wifi in windows (always on).

Gurruwiwi 08-13-2009 03:55 PM

Right!
Excellent! We are way over half way!

You have indeed covered the right pin in the right way. Your green wifi light sould not be on anways, that is an indication that the button is working and physically cutting power to the wifi card.
On another hackbook, with pin 20, the light is just off always, Xp or Leo.
So yeah, we are close. Tell me, in system profile

Apple -> About this mac -> More info

What does it say under Aiport Card?
If it is there some how, either native or third party, you just have to go to System Prefs -> Network -> Delete all the available connections and create one manually (this is the list in the left column)
That has known to wake up the card.
Damn... the "no airport triangle" on the top bar is not good...

But for now, post back on this

Gurruwiwi 08-13-2009 04:05 PM

Also, please do the following...

If you do command + shift + 4 - you will see the mouse cursor changes. You can then select an area and it will take a snapshot of that area to the desktop.
Practice it, its quite fun and addictive loool.

Then got to Spotlight and write "terminal"

Inside Terminal, expand the window quite big, and type in "lspci" and hit enter.

Take a snapshot of all the info and post it here please. This is also a great way to get DEV and SUBSYS number for all your devices in case you need to string stuff

gtee 08-14-2009 03:22 PM

Has anybody tried this?

chrishelms
Dec 8 2008, 08:57 PM
it sounds like you have the acer notebook
i just installed ideneb 1.3 on this system. it has the nvidia 9600gt and the wifi 5100
i got the 9600gt working perfectly in 5 minutes. it was very easy. Just follow these instructions:

Yay!! Finally got mine working with QE/CI.

1. fresh install iDeneb 10.5.5 v1.3 (no graphics driver selected)
2. reboot -x
3. install aqua-mac's package
http://rapidshare.com/files/15556209...ivers.zip.html
4. reboot
5. install NVDarwin 1.2.3
http://www.mediafire.com/?iltt3ezn1uh
6. reboot

I wasted 2 days trying to do this originally using my old 10.5.1 to 10.5.5 upgrade and doing MBP kext tranfer, the Boot.plist modifying using gfxutil & osx86 tools, etc. Oh well, but at least it works now.

Many thanks goes out to iDeneb people, aqua-mac for the 9000 series package, NVDarwin pepole, and those of you who posted the steps above.

Cheers!

NOTE: iDeneb 10.5.5 v1.3 users. You will get this error when installing certain software down the line. "<Stand><Stand><CarbonLib><>" Go here for the simple and easy fix.
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132410

if you have this notebook, did you get audio working? i think there is a alc889a in there but i'm not so sure and neither hdapatcher nor anything else worked so far...

Gurruwiwi 08-14-2009 04:16 PM

Beware thread followers!! DO NOT try this previous post!!!

gtee, what are you on about?... what notebook and who are you addressing? It seems you are quoting someone, use the quotation marks please!

I have no idea why you posted that about graphics, but let me assure you that before this tutorial I tried every single enabler, kext, string etc known to exist!

Nada, ziltch, niente, kaput, KP, black screen, blue screen (not of death), hangs or just ignored.

Plus, that is for 9600gt, that is desktop. I am pretty confident it wont work for this laptop, I tried sooooooooooo many tricks and stuff...

Plus, it has a very similar name, but ar in fact quite different cards

Believe me, my method works, it is the easiest method known to man because I provided the plist with the string already inside it! I cant be simpler than this!! You get full QE/CE, HDMI and VGA out, native full HD resolution... I mean... why look for another method, download another distro, when you can do it just with iAtkos?

About sound... sound DOES work, digital outs work, headphones and internal speaker work great ! It's just the damn mic in that is not recognizing... you can use many kexts, from Azalia to Enablers... I just found the latest VoodooHDA to work best.

I am "mic in" and "2 finger scroll" away from having a true Macbook Pro CLONE !!

But it is such a widespread problem, I think I'll still have to wait for a miracle kext.

I just hope to get this far with SL !!!