InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Mac Peripherals (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   What mouse are you using with your (Hack)Mac? (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=2622)

Puttabong 04-18-2009 11:54 AM

What mouse are you using with your (Hack)Mac?

What mouse do you use and why? :)

I've been using Apple's Mighty Mouse (with cable) for a long time and I love it.
I wouldn't want to miss the tiny 360-degree scrolling ball and the design of the mouse.

However, I have to admit that I haven't used mice with my Mac for months - I'm in love with its glass trackpad. I've always been a mouse user who disliked trackpads, but this one is different. It makes you forget that you own a mouse.

Whenever I'm using a desktop PC or Mac, I'm using a Mighty Mouse, though.

naquaada 04-18-2009 12:10 PM

my answer: logitechhhhhhh roxx !!

Why I'm using Logitech? Easy, it was the keyboard I used for Windows. But I love them, they have a good wireless system (no f*cking bluetooth) which works even with multiple keyboards and mice in one room (actually 3 keyboards and 4 mice). The keyboard feels good while typing. But the newer keyboards have an ugly-shaped mouse which isn't good for my hands, so I'm using older keyboard/mouse combinations. They're available for about 10-15 Eur on ebay.

Taisto 04-18-2009 01:02 PM

Im using Mighty Mouse. But i have to say it`s not perfect.

Well, what i like about it is the design and it`s shape - it`s very nice to use, and works quite well. Squeezing buttons are nice but it`s not something that other mice dont have.

What i dont like about it - the scrolling ball. It works nice, but i hate the way it has to be cleaned ( and the hell it gets dirty so often ). It`s annoying.

Puttabong 04-18-2009 01:30 PM

I agree, unfortunately that's the weak point of the mighty mouse. If one is in a dusty room it gets dirty relatively quickly, and it's a pain to clean it.

lanceomni 04-18-2009 03:41 PM

Logitech mx518 with sensitivity controls on the side. Hey do you guys remember the round apple mice? What a horrible idea :)

Taisto 04-18-2009 04:05 PM

Do you mean this one ? :

http://media.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata...-mouse-360.jpg

It seems strange that company which made new Mac Pros and iMacs should have made something like that :D

SticMAC 04-18-2009 05:38 PM

The round apple mouse is an absolutely brilliant piece of engineering, it comes with a Clip-on cover to make it a bit longer than wide and after 13 years it still works perfectly, just like my brand new Dell bluetooth mouse with scroll and YAW!

SticMAC

lanceomni 04-18-2009 06:25 PM

I always found it extremely difficult to orient.

cmdshft 04-18-2009 08:15 PM

I never liked the Apple mice until the recent version of the Mighty Mouse. I liked the one button style, but without the center click wheel and right click, that design is frustrating. I'm glad that they did away with that shortsight in the Might Mouse.

I'm also using the new slim aluminum keyboard.

naquaada 04-18-2009 09:58 PM

Hehe, sorry guys if I hurt your feelings now. But this hole thing looks to me that using Apple keyboards and mice is to get a wanna-be-mac-feeling at low cost. :p

In my 20 years of computing I tested a lot of input devices, XT keyboards, AT keyboards, Logitech keyboards, C64, C128, Amiga keyboards, rubber- and foil keyboards (ZX-81, C116), and a huge variety of mice. I presume the beige old-style keyboards and mice from Apple are ok, but the newer, 'design-optimized' input devices from Apple are so crappy that... I never ever would use them. I'd prefer a C128D keyboard on my system before using an Apple Slim Alu keyboard. For me a keyboard must have real keys, with pressure and a click, no fluffy calculator-buttons.

The only Apple input device I'm using is the Apple Remote, and I don't wanna miss it.

Ali C. 04-18-2009 10:15 PM

Too used to my Logitech mouse (an MX500 and now an LX8, both wireless) and Saitek Eclipse keyboard to part with either. If suddenly one day Eclipse keyboards ceased to exist on planet Earth, though, I'd probably just get a shiny new Apple keyboard. :)

milanca 04-18-2009 11:09 PM

Logitech MX400, and Logitech VX nano cordless.

Taisto 04-18-2009 11:27 PM

Well, it depends on what you need :) I cant write on "standard" keyboard anymore. Keys sticking out of the keyboard are not for me, im so used to flat keyboards i just cant type on "normal" ones anymore. Thats why i like Apple Alu Keyboard so much cause it`s the only one real-flat keyboard i`ve seen, and to be honest i dont really care who is manufacturer of it - i wont change it for any other for a long time. But still, not sure about the mice...i like the feel of it, the shape etc. but this scrollbar is just...awww.

Puttabong 04-20-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Well, it depends on what you need I cant write on "standard" keyboard anymore. Keys sticking out of the keyboard are not for me, im so used to flat keyboards i just cant type on "normal" ones anymore.
Once again I have to agree completely.
I'm very used to Apple's chicklet keyboard (both Desktop and MBP), I really couldn't miss them.

It feels very strange to type on a "normal" keyboard, it doesn't give me pleasure... and I normally love typing!

lanceomni 04-20-2009 12:50 PM

That is true. I purchased a used Apple keyboard. The most recent flat full keyboard and I love it. I ordered several more for work and now most of the computers I need to work on have the same setup.

We just ordered a new 24" iMac and it came with the new mini keyboard. Its a cool idea but I use the arrow keys and number pad frequently so its not the keyboard for me. They smash all the directional keys together making it difficult to use.

cmdshft 04-20-2009 11:09 PM

The reason I bought the apple keyboard is because of the key's functions and the need to get away from PS/2.

dawning 04-21-2009 12:21 AM

I've always been a keen fan of simple solid mice. To this end, I find the basic microsoft ones are actually very very good. I'm talking about mice such as these: http://tinyurl.com/coxhwl

Voyn1x 04-21-2009 01:43 PM

Mighty Mouse here.

Generally I like it, though the scroll ball stops scrolling in a certain direction every couple of days requiring me to rub it upside down on a stack of paper to clean it :mad:

Can't believe Apple's QA missed that one.

InteliMacPro 04-24-2009 06:03 PM

I love the mighty mouse and apple keyboard. I agree big bulky keyboards just feel weird to me now. I wish they'd make the bluetooth one in a full size flavor though. I personally don't like wireless keyboards and mice that require a usb dongle. It just wastes a usb port. Apple needs to replace the scroll ball on the MM with a touch sensitive area (which they do have a patent for i believe). I've taken mine apart 3 times to clean out the gunk on the rollers. Really, Apple? It didn't work well on pre-optical mice so why would it work as a scroll ball? Even with that headache though, I love the MM. All those big bulky Microsoft and Logitec mice are just an eyesore to me.

MoC 04-25-2009 01:24 PM

@ Taisto: I have like 5 sets of those mice and keyboards in all different colors.

And I use a Logitech MX-3000 set. The keyboard kicks the crap out of the flat one at the Apple Store. :P

AndrewNZ 04-27-2009 10:22 AM

Mouse on the G5 is a white Apple USB mouse, single button variety. iMac mouse is a Mighty Mouse, (absolutely loath the nipple on that thing. (Grrrr...)) but it's not used as there's a Wacom tablet attached. Hackintosh has a Wacom tablet and no mice.

iMacIntel, G5 and Hackintosh all have aluminum Apple keyboards attached. Prefer them to most other keyboards because I can't type for nuts.

naquaada 04-27-2009 12:16 PM

Hehe, Wacom tablets are cool. I've got a small Artpad II connected to my Amiga - using the Serial port ;-) Do you know ArtRage? It's a very simple-styled paint program for the Mac, but you can create real good pictures with it. These two are not from me, of course.

AndrewNZ 04-27-2009 01:23 PM

Well, I love the Wacoms to bits. Can't do the 'arty' stuff with a mouse these days though. The stylus is just so much more intuitive for a bloke who grew up using pencils, crayons, paintbrushes etc. :)

The Wacom attached to the G5 is an older version that uses an iMate ADB>USB adapter since there's no serial bus on the tower. Still works after all these years though. God I'm getting old. :)

I use Adobe's CS3 on the G5. And trialling CS4 (some apps apparently require an Intel proc, so don't know how that'll work out). CS3 currently on the iMac. I'm going to attempt CS4 on the Hackintosh as a trial - just haven't found the time.

Neat pix, by the way.

naquaada 04-27-2009 04:46 PM

I didn't found a nice painting program for the Mac yet. I'm using TVPaint Animation Pro, for this I have to open a virtual Windows :confused: But I know this prog from Amiga times and still like it.

andyvand 04-28-2009 03:26 PM

In my case it's a PS/2 Synaptics trackpad and a USB Logitech G3 laser mouse...
They both do what they need to do in a great way...

oneshot 04-30-2009 02:57 AM

I use a microsoft wireless optical mouse. I like the design but sadly the wireless sucks dick. I can't move my mouse more than 3 feet away from my wireless before the wirelessness starts to get laggy. I'm thinking of getting a mighty mouse but its expensive >_<

(I don't have a job at the moment)

SaCleoCheater 05-17-2009 09:14 PM

Synaptics PS2 Touchpad w/ VoodooPS2

milanca 06-01-2009 01:34 AM

As we already have this thread running, i'd like to share my personal experience, on real Mac (MacBook with attached mouse) and my Hacks. I am not satisfied with mouse movements at all. Seems to me like too slow, sluggish. To be honest i have been using it for a long time and almost (but not entirely) got used to it. Recently i had to do something in Windows, and trust me, it was like a breath of fresh air. I was using A4tech X7 mouse and then Logitech MX400, also using Logitech VX nano. I tweaked mouse movements a lot with SteerMouse, MouseZoom, USBOverDrive and who knows what else, everything i could come up with. I managed to tweak acceleration to some certain level but still it is not the right movement. I shouldn't go to windows, not to see how good (at least for me) mouse moves. When i come back to OSX, it's frustrating again. Mouse curve, speed and acceleration, is just killing me.
What i have recently found is something really close to what i want with Microsoft mouse (Intelli 2 or 3, don't know exactly i borrowed it just to test). Microsoft mouse installer has its own driver, close to mouse movements under Windows.
Do you guys have such difficulties with mouse movements under OSX?

InteliMacPro 06-01-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milanca (Post 27349)
As we already have this thread running, i'd like to share my personal experience, on real Mac (MacBook with attached mouse) and my Hacks. I am not satisfied with mouse movements at all. Seems to me like too slow, sluggish. To be honest i have been using it for a long time and almost (but not entirely) got used to it. Recently i had to do something in Windows, and trust me, it was like a breath of fresh air. I was using A4tech X7 mouse and then Logitech MX400, also using Logitech VX nano. I tweaked mouse movements a lot with SteerMouse, MouseZoom, USBOverDrive and who knows what else, everything i could come up with. I managed to tweak acceleration to some certain level but still it is not the right movement. I shouldn't go to windows, not to see how good (at least for me) mouse moves. When i come back to OSX, it's frustrating again. Mouse curve, speed and acceleration, is just killing me.
What i have recently found is something really close to what i want with Microsoft mouse (Intelli 2 or 3, don't know exactly i borrowed it just to test). Microsoft mouse installer has its own driver, close to mouse movements under Windows.
Do you guys have such difficulties with mouse movements under OSX?

I actually find mouse movements under windows to be too fast/jerky. If i turn the tracking speed up all the way in OS X, it's also faster than i prefer. If i have it at about 2 lower than max it's nice and smooth and responsive. This is really just a matter of personal preference and after awhile you get used to either one.

TechSgtChen 06-01-2009 04:04 AM

Mouse? What is this "mouse"? :p

I came into the 21st century a while back with the Fingerworks iGesture pad. MultiTouch, baby, the one, the original, the real thing! That is, until Apple bought out the company and technology and killed off the pads. :'(

zuz242 06-01-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milanca (Post 24937)
Logitech MX400, ..

me too. logitech mx400 laser and a microsoft laser 6000 before.

as i use both vista and osx, these mice have nie driver support for both systems.
i like to map a programm switching function like exposee or flip3d on the 4th or 5th button ;)

and i only use no-cordless ones, as i remember wireless just being a hassle.

Taisto 06-01-2009 03:36 PM

Hmm, i dont have problems with mouse tracking under OSX, but i have to admit that it's totally different than windows one. Mac's tracking seems slower, with different acceleration ( seems to slow in slow movements, and to fast in fast movements - but thats just mine thoughts ). But i got used to it, and have no problems anymore. Still, since i just dont like using any trackpads etc, and im not satisfied with Mighty Mouse ( scrollball... ), im gonna get one of Microsoft's mice cause they make really good stuff. Will go probably for Microsoft Arc Mouse - anyone used it ?

JoesMorgue 06-02-2009 01:23 AM

My G4 came with that round mouse...I didn't like the fact that you couldn't tell which way was up without really looking at it. I know I coulda felt for the cable, but that was kinda a pain, especially with it being a temp setup and the cord wanted to turn to the left ALL the time...

I'm using the Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110. It comes with an optical mouse.

To date, I dropped the keyboard from my lap ONCE onto my hardwood floors, and its fine.

My most interesting observation with the setup is the KB uses 2 AAA's, and the mouse uses two AA's, and the KB lasts MUCH longer on a charge. (I use Ni-Mh rechargeables throughout my mouse)

windsor 07-27-2009 09:36 AM

mmm, im using logitech cordless desktop pro 2400, works nice...just plug it and play... :D

sk1nhd33t 07-27-2009 01:06 PM

Apple Wireless BT Mighty Mouse and Alu Keyboard (w/o numpad) here, wish i bought the old one w/ numpad coz it's a pain for me to change keyboard whenever ill setup my BIOS (my mobo needs a delete key to enter it). Overall works flawlessly on both 10.5.7 and 10.6 :)

joransrb 07-27-2009 06:27 PM

im using the mighty mouse and aly keyboard, wireless, and i love the keyboard, but the mouse has its flaws like mentioned earlier here... but i have to say, both mouse and keyboard works great in both osx and windows :)

Ezhoon 08-05-2009 04:05 AM

Microsoft Intellimouse optical here..a real masterpiece from MS, imho :P

scififan68 08-05-2009 08:57 AM

I use a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 1.0A on my desktop and the Trackpad on my netbook. :p

candykane 08-05-2009 11:08 AM

Microsoft wireless optical mouse 2.0
One thing i can say about Microsoft there hardware is GREAT!
its bin working for 5 years now. cordless logitech = $hit you have to replace the battery ever week because the hardware sucks in sleep mode the mouse uses way to much power.
after a few months of always having a empty mouse just when you need it switched to M$
and never any regrets software is great the mouse is still working after 5 years and i abuse it a lot drop hit strangle and use. change the battery's about once every 2 months

pαuℓzurrr. 08-05-2009 11:59 AM

Using a Might Mouse wirelessy + an Apple Alu Keyboard with numpad, haven't had any problems yet, using the mouse for about 8 months now and the keyboard i think a year :)

fairlyodd 08-05-2009 12:04 PM

Logitech Cordless TrackMan Wheel...been using one of these since they came out. Would not part with it for any other product.

SomniusX 08-05-2009 05:22 PM

LOGITECH LX8 (910-000325) CORDLESS LASER MOUSE..

Nice, cheap, neat and it works like a charm!

And some info of it and a pic..

http://www.msystems.gr/products/big/6948.jpg
Quote:

PRODUCT FEATURES:
Smoother cursor control on virtually any surface
Cordless mini-receiver Installs instantly and stays out of sight to ensure a clutter-free cordless experience.
Works with both desktop and notebook computers
Soft rubber grips and contoured shape give you superior comfort and effortless control
Side-to-Side Scrolling Plus Zoom
Universal forward/back buttons
Longer battery life (up to 8 months) [tested]

Aydinz 08-28-2009 07:59 AM

Logitech S510 Mouse Keyboard combo, except i switched the keyboard for a shiny apple aluminum one :) but had to get the wired one cause you cant get a wireless one with the numeric keypad :@

macxuser33 08-28-2009 09:55 AM

I use razer lachesis as i like to game hence the mouse , no official osx driver or software for it tho but usb overdrive is very good not as good as the razer software for windows but its the best there is for osx

00010 10-10-2009 09:11 PM

I am using a Logitech wireless mouse.

WORKS GREAT!!!

slic 10-10-2009 09:37 PM

im using BT Apple Mighty Mouse with my Dell :))

http://gregmaletic.files.wordpress.c...ghty_mouse.jpg

vladrxpx 11-03-2009 04:51 PM

erm, i'm about to buy this new apple alu wireless keyboard..but i dont know if it will work...
it says i need a bluetooth connection.. the only hting i have is a bluetooth usb receiver..
will that work?
i have OS X 10.6. on my pc..

and can it work on windows 7?

Puttabong 11-03-2009 04:57 PM

The new alu wireless keyboard will work with your bluetooth usb adapter in both Mac and Windows. :)

vladrxpx 11-03-2009 05:35 PM

aghhhh sweet :D
me so horny ^u^

how about magic mouse? :S

Taisto 11-03-2009 06:19 PM

It should work since it's a normal mouse. I dont think that you can use multi-touch gestures on windows though...

At least that's what i heard - can't test it cause i still wait for my delivery. Can anyone confirm that it can be used in windows as a normal 2-button mouse ?