InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   [Solved] AMD Dual Core Timing Issue AKA Mouse Bug (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=734)

farcaller 03-16-2008 03:57 PM

[Solved] AMD Dual Core Timing Issue AKA Mouse Bug

After some time in MacOS mouse stops to move as it should be. The cursor is being moved on a very small distance with significant delay. One time this was fixed on its own but mostly I have to spawn iterm with spotlight and reboot.
Applies only to movemet, buttons/scrolling works perfectly.
Applies to al mice in system: touchpad, usb mouse, bluetooth mouse.

Any ideas?

Admin Edit: Thread renamed

Addendum by R0GUE
To summarise this for future reference; it is not a 'mouse bug' per se, but a dual core timing issue.
Symptoms include:
• Mouse lag - early signs are drag and drop inaccuracies, trail skipping
• GUI lag - Finder window movement becomes choppy and acceleration degrades
• Random restarts - caused by the 'divide by zero' error resulting in kernel panic
• -10810 error - applications will not start until a restart or log out/in
• increased CPU fan noise and temperatures - due to dual core synchronisation errors
• general erratic behaviour - system feels sluggish, unresponsive at times

Remedy (Temporary)
• Boot using the 'cpus=1' kernel flag - this can be done at the beginning of each boot at the Darwin boot prompt, or permanently by editing the com.apple.boot.plist which can be found in: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Addendum by Naquaada

This error must not affect all Dual-Core systems, they can work without problems. The most Photoshop users have this issue, maybe the software installes something what an AMD Dual-Core cpu doesn't like, Adobe software needs a lot of resources and makes various changes in the operating system.

WinLinMac01 03-16-2008 06:41 PM

Why don't you try to reload the kext for the mouse. What type of mouse is this, USB or PS/2?

farcaller 03-16-2008 07:54 PM

as I've already said, this applies to all mice at the same time (PS/2 touchpad, USB mouse, BT mouse). I've tried to turn BT on/off (thus "restarting" BT mouse) but that didn't help.

Ianxxx 03-16-2008 11:22 PM

Slow down your memory timings I guarantee it will help

farcaller 03-16-2008 11:42 PM

can you please say, how *this* could be connected with memory timings? I'm running 333MHz clock (DDR2), no overclocking etc.

BTW, my BIOS doesn't allow memory underclocking.

Ianxxx 03-16-2008 11:44 PM

What board do you have?

agrafuese 03-17-2008 12:34 AM

farcaller, i believe you have the same problem that i and numerous others are experiencing. does your mouse also jump around a bit too? that is what happens for me (and others). i've also noticed that the GUI is actually a lot more laggy too (window animation, dock animation, etc). as of yet, there is no known cause or solution to this problem. as far as i know, it is not memory timing because my memory (as well as others i've talked to) are set to stock settings. leopard may be different, but I have to say that this was never an issue for me in tiger. what's even more annoying is no one is acknowledging this as a "real" problem, which is very frustrating because it IS a "real" problem, as it means at least one reboot every day. and, as a side note, rebooting is also very frustrating for me because i suffer from the sound volume back-to-default-level-on-reboot issue that other people are also not considering a "real" problem. well, all i can say is good luck getting help with this. if you do, let me know.

specs, once more:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium NF4
AMD 3800+
1GB DDR2 400
evga 8800GT 512mb

Ianxxx 03-17-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

[cite] agrafuese:[/cite]farcaller, i believe you have the same problem that i and numerous others are experiencing. does your mouse also jump around a bit too? that is what happens for me (and others). i've also noticed that the GUI is actually a lot more laggy too (window animation, dock animation, etc). as of yet, there is no known cause or solution to this problem. as far as i know, it is not memory timing because my memory (as well as others i've talked to) are set to stock settings. leopard may be different, but I have to say that this was never an issue for me in tiger. what's even more annoying is no one is acknowledging this as a "real" problem, which is very frustrating because it IS a "real" problem, as it means at least one reboot every day. and, as a side note, rebooting is also very frustrating for me because i suffer from the sound volume back-to-default-level-on-reboot issue that other people are also not considering a "real" problem. well, all i can say is good luck getting help with this. if you do, let me know.

specs, once more:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium NF4
AMD 3800+
1GB DDR2 400
evga 8800GT 512mb
Just because something is on its stock setting doesn't mean changing it won't make a difference, I am telling you what works for me, I had this bug usually after about 3 hours usage, I don't have it any longer, the only difference are my memory timings.

agrafuese 03-17-2008 12:42 AM

what type of memory do you have?

Ianxxx 03-17-2008 12:44 AM

At the moment kingston DDR400 but I've tried it with a couple of other sticks of ram I have lying around

Try changing cas latency to 3
Row cycle time to 18
Row Refresh time to 18 or higher

See if it makes a difference before you tell someone else that it doesn't work