InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Lounge (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   OSX runs better than Windows 7 (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=1941)

oneshot 01-15-2009 08:22 AM

OSX runs better than Windows 7

So I installed Windows 7 on my other hardrive last night I and noticed right away that OSX86 runs smoother? I guess that could make sence since its a beta but then again OSX isn't even supposed to run on a PC....

My video card works perfectly on OSX86, though I did have to install Nvida 900 series driver v2 on it.

If I want to change my screen resolution on windows 7, my screen goes into a kinda wide screen mode thing where the bottom and top are black and my desktop is in the middle....

When I installed OSX86 for the first time, I had zero problems with my display.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on this with you guys.

Remember that windows 7 is a beta so these problems shouldn't be held against Microsoft....yet

naquaada 01-15-2009 08:58 AM

A friend (and me) just got an old Mac Mini G4 (PowerPC) Processor with 1.42 GHz and certain programs which are available for Windows and Mac are running smoother on the Mac.

As I started with OSx86 in May 2006 I hadn't even Quartz Extreme/Core Image, no mode selection so that I had to use 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz on a CRT monitor, but it still was smoother than Windows - especcially smother if you compare it to a Windows which no graphics driver installed :mad:

Taisto 01-16-2009 09:46 PM

Friend of mine has told me once that it`s because Mac OS X as the only one ( patented ) uses hardware acceleration to scroll etc. inside the system, that`s why it`s smoother in every aspect if you mean graphics. Of course i don`t know if it`s true so take it with a doubt :)

oneshot 01-17-2009 12:04 PM

haha thats interesting. I wonder how the final version of windows 7 is going to end up.

Today widows explorer ( which Microsoft claims they completely rewrote and is way better ) crashed twice today while I was trying to set my background to change every 10 min.

Microsoft said that they still have allot of features that they haven't shared yet that are going to be in the final version of windows 7.

BTW thanks for sharing your experience on this topic.

FirstHackTosh 01-17-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one shot (Post 21029)
... but then again OSX isn't even supposed to run on a PC....

Come on, the only difference between a Apple PC and a DELL PC is "the case" ...

ScottXK 02-08-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstHackTosh (Post 21114)
Come on, the only difference between a Apple PC and a DELL PC is "the case" ...

I agree, ever since Apple went to the x86 architecture that really bridged the gap between normal PC's and Mac's. All of the guts are basically the same, only reason why OSX works better on a Mac is because Apple make the drivers :P.

cmdshft 02-08-2009 08:08 PM

Uh, no.

There's more of a difference between the types of machines than I think you realize.

On topic, though, I ran Windows 7 on my machine and I have to say, it was great. I rarely say that about Windows, but the performance was on par with XP and the look was post-par with Vista. Functionality overall was much better.

In fact, I kind of want to reinstall my Beta now, but I'm not sure if it supports GUID drives in x86 mode.

throttlemeister 02-08-2009 10:45 PM

It definitely supports GUID drives on the x64 version; haven't run 32b windows in 2 or 3 years now.

oneshot 02-08-2009 11:07 PM

now that ive used windows 7 for a while now, I decided that its actually pretty nice. All the problems I had earlyer seemed to fix themselves. I know it runs better than vista and I think it may actually run better than xp?

One thing I really enjoy in OSX that isn't in windows though that I use all the time is Exposé. Im sure that if windows used that in there opperating system then they would probably get a bunch of crap though =)

Taisto 02-08-2009 11:11 PM

There is "Switcher" app for windows which is a clone of Expose, but well...OSX Expose is by far the best i`ve used ( from windows, mac os, and linux versions ).