InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [GUIDE] (w/ photos) - 100% working Acer 6935g iAtkos v7 10.5.7 with nVidia 9600m GT (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3357)

Gurruwiwi 09-04-2009 02:27 AM

Hi,

The answer is "yes" to everything. Even non Apple supported hardware is able to work with the right kexts (like drivers in windows). But sometimes, even supported hardware might not work due to small differences in manufacturer. But in a very generalized way and with great degree of certainty, yes to everything.

The thing is to get the right kexts/install method working - tats the difficult part. Once you know how to get your system running, you can re-install flawlessly any time if needed.

If your wireless bus is pci-e, and you r current card is not soldered or rivetted to the board, it is very common practice to swap to a breadcom chip (1390 or 1490, or Atheros even) to have native support. If you dual boot with Windows,just need the right driver.

About the rest, I'm sorry, dont know how to answer. This is a thread specifically for Acer 6935G or very similar, which is what I have, and I am barely able to help myself sometimes ^_^

Start by finding a distro like iAtkos or iDeneb (cannot post links, against rules) and use the search functions! Look for people with similar specs, models, use google too, and read read read. It may be confusing, many new names (Chameleon, dsdt, EFI strings etc etc) but you have to start by trying. Follow a tutorial. And search, and read alot! (yes, redundancy intended for point making)

You can follow this thread line by line, but you cant use the files I provided, nor customize exactly like in my tutorial, because you need specific kexts for your hardware, but basic procedure is fine.

Good luck!

Stiwy 09-04-2009 12:17 PM

only SL without dual boot

Hi Gurruwiwi,

I using mac os x on my acer from day when I find your tutorial, its maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago, and its in one word just amazing :-D thanks a lot.

Now Im charming with new SL, but I read your new tutorial, and I cant do that, I cant use another mac, or change hardware in my laptop, so my question is, that I can instal SL a little bit easier, without second computer.?

I need solo install, without windows (I dont need this s**t anymore).

I hope, that in future there will be a choice to install easy like with iAtkos v7.

So if there is a choice to install SL without second computer right now, please tell me, or just define the differences between SL and L installation.

Thanks for your advance.

Stiwy.

PS: I solve my problem with WIFI, i just connect to wifi with my iPhone and then connect iPhone to PC :-D and I have wifi connection on PC. :-D So I dont need to buy new wi-fi card :-D Just great :-)

Gurruwiwi 09-04-2009 12:32 PM

Hi Stiwy.

Paradox found that iDeneb's wireless kexts work well with broadcom chips, while iAtkos dont seem to work for everybody, so that can be a solution.

You are tethering internet from the iphone :) heheh... watch out you dont accidentally connect via 3G and eat up all your download limit.

Right now I would happily settle for the same solution, but for audio. What a headache this is giving me!

But, back to your question. In theory you can insert all relevant kexts into USB stick folder (like A_Tool I created), boot up, change UUID's and install kexts, repair perms and caches, reboot and have a perfect install.
But I must warn you, from what I have experienced, SL is ALOT more sensitive than Leo to KP's, and installs can fail (like Leo) with a wrong move.
I wouldnt want you to erase your HDD and then not be able to boot. Also, dual booting is tricky with SL and Leo, unless you understand UUID's well and play with them so not to confuse the bootloader.
Basically, I do NOT recommend this unless you have a spare drive. I recommend also you DONT erase your working Leo's as it is ALWAYS handy to have.
I bought my new 7200rpm, 320Gb 16mb cache Seagate for 60€ ! I'm no rich man, but I prefer this safety than going out drinking the same amount on a weekend...

I've also give up dual booting. Way too much of a hassle. Booting off e-sata give the same performance, and I'm just using windows for GTA 4 and I hope soon, battlefield 1943 hhaha :)

I know my "quick heli tour to SL" looks long and complicated, but I find it to be quicker and easier than setting up Leo.
I now have an image of my base install, anything goes wrong (I'm dsdt patching, trying kexts, etc), just format drive, install chameleon 2 (first!), delete boot.ini and Extras folder, restore image, fix UUID, reboot and presto!

Look how fast it is... this is restoring to external enclosure via e-sata (sorry you have to tilt you head looool)

http://www.infinitemac.com/%5BURL=ht...G%5D%5B/URL%5Dhttp://www.infinitemac.com/%3Cembed%...0053.flv%22%3Ehttp://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...h_IMG_0053.jpg

A word of warning to everyone though... You cannot believe how many times I've had to re-start from scratch. It is a very lonely operation as no one is joining me in the adventure of SL. Audio is the final frontier, and its a huge b!tch.

I suggest everyone start understanding how to fix dsdt.aml as it looks like you will need it. In the future I hope to make a dsdt that makes this laptop as real and a MBP ! .. I already tricked software update in thinking this was a 5.1 MBP :cool: - asks me to update EFI Firmware lol

gazzacbr 09-06-2009 09:26 AM

hi guys,
i have been reading this post as i have 6920g with just about everything running under ideneb. just got wifi working by adding a dell 1490 card in 2nd pcie slot with aerial wires (wouldnt work at all in first one) and just left my standard intel where it was. did the pin20 trick so its on all the time as acer whitlisted it to not let me switch when using windows. for dual booting i use 'boot-it' which i highly recommend (no connection) i can set the mbr so that only the one partition to which i am installing an os to is visible. after install you just set other partitions to be seen by each os to suit. i have leopard and 4 different windows plus 2 data partitions with no problems

paradoxni 09-06-2009 01:21 PM

which custom install options did u choose for ideneb and the 6920G.

It will be interesting to see if the card works in the second slot, thanks for the info

paradoxni 09-06-2009 03:36 PM

unfortunately 1490 wifi card in second slot + pin20trick + iatkos v7 = Still not working :(

Gurruwiwi 09-06-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazzacbr (Post 33761)
hi guys,
i have been reading this post as i have 6920g with just about everything running under ideneb. just got wifi working by adding a dell 1490 card in 2nd pcie slot with aerial wires (wouldnt work at all in first one) and just left my standard intel where it was. did the pin20 trick so its on all the time as acer whitlisted it to not let me switch when using windows. for dual booting i use 'boot-it' which i highly recommend (no connection) i can set the mbr so that only the one partition to which i am installing an os to is visible. after install you just set other partitions to be seen by each os to suit. i have leopard and 4 different windows plus 2 data partitions with no problems

Hey man!

Please elaborate some more, I'd love to hear it!

But I have a couple of questions.

What are aerial wires? Di you get e second set of those black and white connectors and just hooked up the connectors? If that is so, that might be the reason windows doesnt let you swap cards. try disconnecting the original wifi antennae, leaving the other one active. I have mine still popped in and all windows find the "dell" card and lets me connect no problem.

Also, I didnt do the pin 20 trick on the dell, or the intel card. The second slot doesnt have a killswitch, and since I disconnected the intel wifi antennae+dell is on a different slot, it automatically assumes the dell.

And about boot-it ? Is it a bootloader, didn't understand... I have SL on GUID, how would that work?

Gurruwiwi 09-06-2009 03:45 PM

Someone please post the broadcom kext that comes with iDeneb for paradoxni ?

The poor man has no internet since install !

paradoxni 09-06-2009 04:08 PM

i think the broadcom kext is fine, i think its one of the custom install kexts that causes the problem e.g. SMBIOS, nvidia, intel kexts?

if I do a "default" install without following your guide, only the default kexts then airport works.

Gurruwiwi 09-06-2009 04:58 PM

Hold on... could you explain that again in more detail?