InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [GUIDE] (w/ photos) - 100% working Acer 6935g iAtkos v7 10.5.7 with nVidia 9600m GT (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3357)

chrish10 08-09-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30529)
I think, I'm not sure, your model might have a physical switch to turn on wireless and off?

If it does, you need to apply the "pin 20" trick. I worked like a charm on another laptop I had. Its a trick where you apply a piece o tape to cover the pin that receives the on/off signal. Then Leopard will see it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...ic=56015&st=20

tell me if it works for you!

no still not working even after the "pin 20" trick. i think i will try getting a broadcom 1390 and give that a try.

Gurruwiwi 08-09-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtee (Post 30647)
hi! thanks for the guide!

by the way, do you know how can i get the mic to work?

what have you found out regarding the vanilla kernel? can it detect your original wifi board?

i dunno if atheros drivers can activate the original wifi card?

one interesting thing i obeserved, after updating the OS online and running Transmission torrent, my system seems to kernel panic alot, donno what's going on...do you know the command to examine the logs?

I am working on the audio issue. I'd love to get the mic working as I'd use it ALOT... but, unfortunately, nothing so far. It is only a matter of time, but unfortunately again, I can't at this moment dwell into this.

I have no idea how to check what is panic'ing your system.

Atheros makes wireless that is also airport. But, its just like windows (except some very rare situations) Atheros "drivers" work for atheros cards. Intel 5100 is NOT supported nor are any ported drivers. There are some intels that work, but not very stable. Best bet is always broadcom 1390/1490 to get WEP, WAP, stable, speed etc... Atheros too, but I never used them myself so I cant comment.

Anyway, look around for your KP issues and post back. Also, your system too, make model etc.

I'm using Vuze, getting fed up with it though, might try transmission some day. Vuze works really well here.

Good luck!

Gurruwiwi 08-09-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrish10 (Post 30674)
no still not working even after the "pin 20" trick. i think i will try getting a broadcom 1390 and give that a try.

Be sure to really try it. Cut tape that is just that small. be sure to cover both sides of the pin. Also, when inserting the pcie card, make sure it doesnt slide out (I thought it was bullsh*t, but then it worked!!)

Also, there are also other pin yo can cover depending on system/make/model

On another Acer, pin 20 worked. Search for you model, I am sure I've seen people with success stories guide. If you go "insane" you could try the other known forum, as it exists for a longer time, there is alot more threads.

That being said, this forums is 20x better :p

Gurruwiwi 08-10-2009 12:52 AM

Also,

try booting into Windows with the pin 20 trick. It just might wake it up. This seems to work sometimes too.

chrish10 08-10-2009 06:07 PM

Hi,
I covered the pin with nail varnish (several layers) but only one side as per the other forum.Do i need to do both sides ? the card works absolutely fine in windows but nothing in Mac. The wireless icon doesnt even light up to show powered .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30707)
Also,

try booting into Windows with the pin 20 trick. It just might wake it up. This seems to work sometimes too.

Gurruwiwi 08-10-2009 06:26 PM

Varnish? Are you sure its not conductive?

The idea to use tape is to interrupt the physical on off switch from un-powering the card. Windows will work because the BIOS can send info to OS to recognize the on/off status of the physical switch. On OSx this does not happen.

So with regular cheap tape you cover this pin so it is always "on". I dont know for sure, but do try using tape to cover both sides. Boot into windows to check it is recognized and that the button does nothing.

When you succeed, boot into OSx and it should recognize. And be sure that you install the BCM41xx kext - this can be done by loading up iAtkos 7 install, unchecking EVERYTHING and just select the broadcom wireless driver.

When it is done, it sould reboot by itself. Sometimes, after installing the kext, right before rebooting, there can be a exclamation mark in yellow giving some "error" - just ignore this and reboot.

To be more precise, on reboot flag it with -f flag to rebuild cache, but its not mandatory

Also, if varnish IS non-conductive, you can very easily spill onto the next pin. How can you be that precise in covering just that pin with varnish?!?! The difficulty with tape is just cutting that a small piece, can't imagine with varnish...

chrish10 08-10-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30726)
Varnish? Are you sure its not conductive?

The idea to use tape is to interrupt the physical on off switch from un-powering the card. Windows will work because the BIOS can send info to OS to recognize the on/off status of the physical switch. On OSx this does not happen.

So with regular cheap tape you cover this pin so it is always "on". I dont know for sure, but do try using tape to cover both sides. Boot into windows to check it is recognized and that the button does nothing.

When you succeed, boot into OSx and it should recognize. And be sure that you install the BCM41xx kext - this can be done by loading up iAtkos 7 install, unchecking EVERYTHING and just select the broadcom wireless driver.

When it is done, it sould reboot by itself. Sometimes, after installing the kext, right before rebooting, there can be a exclamation mark in yellow giving some "error" - just ignore this and reboot.

To be more precise, on reboot flag it with -f flag to rebuild cache, but its not mandatory

Also, if varnish IS non-conductive, you can very easily spill onto the next pin. How can you be that precise in covering just that pin with varnish?!?! The difficulty with tape is just cutting that a small piece, can't imagine with varnish...

I taped over both pins (both sides) works fine in windows and the only way i can disable the card is in device manager and not via switch.
But still not detecting in Mac Ox

gtee 08-11-2009 02:20 PM

Realtek Audio Drivers

Some interesting links for you guys..do you know which realtek chip is the acer 6935g using?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...l=audio+driver

gtee 08-11-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurruwiwi (Post 30694)
Atheros makes wireless that is also airport. But, its just like windows (except some very rare situations) Atheros "drivers" work for atheros cards. Intel 5100 is NOT supported nor are any ported drivers. There are some intels that work, but not very stable. Best bet is always broadcom 1390/1490 to get WEP, WAP, stable, speed etc... Atheros too, but I never used them myself so I cant comment.

i installed XP before using Atheros and Intel Broadcom software drivers available on some websites, somehow both seems to work. Not sure if the same OEM manufacturer actually produces the same chip for both company.:)

Gurruwiwi 08-12-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrish10 (Post 30730)
I taped over both pins (both sides) works fine in windows and the only way i can disable the card is in device manager and not via switch.
But still not detecting in Mac Ox

Chris, you've got to give more precise info... Installing OSX can be a breeze or a nightmare!

Sometimes its the most insignificant stuff that break the deal.

First things first...

1 - What brand is your wireless pcie?

2 - Talking always about taping BOTH sides, how many pins did you cover? It is just 1 pin that needs covering.

3 - Once you have covered it, you successfully logged into windows and confirmed that you CAN use internet, and that the on/off switch no longer works, correct? If this is true, and the above questions are correct, you are 95% in the clear...

4 - Back to OSX, are you sure you installed correct kext to correct place?

5 - Do you get the airport icon on the top bar? Is it blank with only the outline (card recognized but in software off state) or does it have signal (victory!) - if its the first, you just have to go to Network Utilities and turn it on

6 - If you dont get triangle, something is wrong.

LOL... I was reading back to check what your system specs were, and I just realized that I missed,probably, the most important piece on evidence!

You say...

Quote:

What wifi card are you using ? Only very few are native to Osx!

Yes, got get a broadcom, but make it 1490 just because it has a/b/g and 1390 only has b/g which is great, but for the same price you get a card that will last you longer in time.

Go get it !! :)