InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   The apple logo keeps spinning after successful install what to do? (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=1705)

Alphaman 12-09-2008 02:29 AM

The apple logo keeps spinning after successful install what to do?

I have a hp pavilion slimeline s7700n pc. I've tried Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.2 AMD EFI Rev2 and iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 and both give me the apple loading sign upon a successful install yet it just keeps spinning and nothing else happens so I don't know where to go from here please your assistance would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what kexts to install so please help me!Here are my specs:

250GB Serial ATA hard drive
1.5GB DDR2 PC4200 RAM
Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
AMD 64 X2 3800+
Integrated nVidia GeForce 6150 LE video card with 128MB
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g

lanceomni 12-09-2008 03:25 AM

On restart?

You are getting this after your install while booting up?

Try using the flag -v on start up to boot in verbose mode. Then see where its hanging.

Alphaman 12-09-2008 03:32 AM

Yes after I restart while booting up and it stops at AppleNforce ATA failed

Alphaman 12-09-2008 03:34 AM

I don't know what video or mobo chipset kext to choose from?

oneshot 12-09-2008 06:11 AM

does It look like this after it spins forever?

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...Photo_0666.jpg

If thats what it looks like then Its probably the same problem I had when trying to install OSX86 tiger for the first time. If I can remember correctly I think It was my graphix card? I downloaded another DVD ( OSX86 Kalyway Patched Leopard 10.5.2) and it worked ^_^

good luck man.

Alphaman 12-09-2008 12:59 PM

I believe it's my graphics card as well I'm trying to find out what kext I should use with my graphics card. It's a nvidia geforece 6150 le

lanceomni 12-09-2008 02:49 PM

Wait you have the ASUS A8N SLI Mobo in a slimline case? or do you have an ASUS A8N-BR which comes with that slimline model? It may also be labeled Pyrite-GL8E?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...08&lc=en&cc=us

And you try nForceTest for the chipset? It looks like it is the integrated graphics card.

A little research over on InsainelyMac shows a few users with the same model. Im guessing that this first one is you?
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140090
The second user I found is more promising as he reported using installing Kalyway 10.5.2 and then having issues related to LAN.
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.p...2327&hl=s7700n

Im not sure what the device ID is for your integrated graphics but if we could find this out we could see if it is included in any of the nForce drivers.

Alphaman 12-09-2008 07:07 PM

Yes you have my specs down to the "t'. How do i find the device id for you though? Where would that be located?

nfoav8or 12-09-2008 07:11 PM

the nForce Test is not a graphics fix... it is a chipset fix designed to fix the ATA hard drive issues with these chipsets.

in my opinion if you cannot find the chipset of your Motherboard out then you can install all of the chipsets (but choose only one of the nForce fixes as having both will cause redundancy errors) then your system will choose the correct chipset fix to use on startup.

if your system cannot start up after this, then use the boot flag "-s" and:
Code:

/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -Rf GeForce*
rm -Rf NVDA*
cd ..
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
reboot

this will take some possible bad graphics kexts out of use and force you to install another after you create an account and log in by way of NVinject, NVkush, Natit, or EFI strings.

Alphaman 12-09-2008 07:33 PM

I'm a noob so I'm new to all of this but after I use the boot flag "-s" when do I type in the rest of the info that you told me or do I type that along with the "-s"

nfoav8or 12-09-2008 07:37 PM

at boot, you press any key during the countdown. then you type:
Code:

-s
and press enter.
after that, the system will boot into single user mode (no GUI). if you've selected the right chipsets (or all for it to choose from) then watch it boot up. if everything works it will leave you at the bash line and wait for you to enter code. then you input each line (separately followed by pressing enter) from the code above.

lanceomni 12-13-2008 03:23 PM

Terminal.app in Applications/Utilities

nfoav8or 12-13-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanceomni (Post 19228)
Terminal.app in Applications/Utilities

actually... if he is having issues getting his machine to boot and it can be connected to those kext files... the Terminal comment won't help him any because he won't be able to get to it. the earlier versions of these kexts caused kernel panics so he needs to remove them before they are ever loaded or he will keep having issues.

lanceomni 12-13-2008 08:54 PM

You are correct

Alphaman 12-14-2008 05:16 PM

How do I remove those kexts? When trying to install Kalyway 10.5.2 I didn't get any error messages but my last two lines were my ethernet address (saying that they found my ethernet) and AppleNForceATA: found 0 units

but when I tried to boot in safe mode the last line said cs_invalid_page: p=72[ATSServer] Clearing CS_VALID i don't know what that means

when I booted in verbose mode it looked like it was trying to work but it just gave me a white blank box

Alphaman 12-14-2008 05:48 PM

I believe it's my mobo chipset I don't know which one to choose? or if I should choose one at at all to be honest.My Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus A8N-BR and it's alos HP/Compaq name: Pyrite-GL8E and my video is NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE and Southbridge: nForce 430 (also called MCP51) I got it from this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=3340239&lang=

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Alphaman 12-14-2008 05:54 PM

these are the errors I have no way to post them

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.
ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.
AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.

Alphaman 12-14-2008 06:05 PM

"localhost kextd[9]: IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting for kernal symbols" and then "AppleNForceATA: found 0 units"

http://i35.tinypic.com/2cwjrkk.jpg

I can show you all now

bhast2 12-14-2008 06:09 PM

did you remove the video kext like they said
from the picture you posted you didn't
follow what they said
remove your graphic card kexts
and it will boot up
you will have to install them a different way

Alphaman 12-14-2008 06:34 PM

bhast2 how to remove the video drivers??? I thought it was my mobo not my video card?

Alphaman 12-14-2008 06:35 PM

how to remove the video kext?

bhast2 12-14-2008 06:58 PM

Boot with -s, then mount your hd with this command:
Code:

/sbin/mount -uw /
- press enter

After that, navigate to the following directory
Code:

- press enter

Code:

rm -Rf GeForce*
- press enter

Code:

rm -Rf NVDA*
- press enter

Code:

cd /System/Library
- press enter

Code:

rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
- press enter

reboot

- press enter

Alphaman 12-14-2008 07:23 PM

thanks bhast2 when i boot in single user mode it and try to apply what you guys said it tells me there is no such file or directory

nfoav8or 12-14-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfoav8or (Post 19108)
if your system cannot start up after this, then use the boot flag "-s" and:
Code:

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -Rf GeForce*
rm -Rf NVDA*
cd ..
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
reboot

this will take some possible bad graphics kexts out of use and force you to install another after you create an account and log in by way of NVinject, NVkush, Natit, or EFI strings.

hmmm. yup.

it also looks like you still have NVinject installed as well.
yet another full code for you:
boot with "-s"
Code:

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -Rf GeForce*
rm -Rf NVDA*
rm -RF NVinject*
cd ..
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
reboot

remember (like bhast2 pointed out) that you need to press ENTER after each line :)

also, if you have a MCP51, it is NOT your chipset causing this issue unless you've installed the wrong chipset fix... but looking at the screen, it looks like you chose the correct one. This "error" of "AppleNForceATA: found 0 units" is not an error. It is simply how the system responds to this kext and that will need looking at for future revisions... another flaw is that SATA drives attached to an nForce board don't have the ability to write (they don't with the currect kext or any nforce kext out there yet).

Also, since this is your computers first time booting up after an install, it has not completely set up the network yet... this is done in the account setup process (that you may also get looping errors with... but there are other threads that explain it... yes, we can point you to them when/if it happens). you also haven't named your computer yet so it will say some Generic "bMacintosh-00...." name...

all of this is normal. what isn't normal is the video...

how did you customize your install (what did you select in the customize section)?

Alphaman 12-14-2008 08:03 PM

I chose 9.2 sleep kernel, forcedeth, I chose all of the wifi drivers, of course nforce ata, legacy flag, cpus=1 fix, amd patch 1, alc850, nvidia geforce 128, no applications

Alphaman 12-14-2008 08:07 PM

i don't know what mobo chipset to install in the first place honestly

nfoav8or 12-14-2008 08:10 PM

my suggestion to you is to do away with all the unnecessary "fixes" and install only what is needed to get OS X running. At least at first... this way we can isolate the problem...

I really think the video kext is the problem in all of this though... that would be the first thing I cut during a reinstall...

remember, you can always improve from a working install. those packages aren't too had to find either on the net or on the Install DVD ( they can be found in the install DVD's /System/Installation/Packages/ folder ;))

EDIT: I find the nForce Test chipset fix to be the best... it allows better SATA DVD support (though you still will not have the ability to write DVDs/CDs)

EDIT 2: also, which DVD are we talking about with the customizing now...? iDeneb, Zeph, or Kalyway?

Alphaman 12-14-2008 08:22 PM

kalyway 10.5.2

nfoav8or 12-14-2008 08:28 PM

would you be willing to try the iDeneb v1.3 DVD? (EDIT: I chose this one because it is the most up-to-date version that will require the least updating of your system... for now)

boot it with the flags: "-f -x -v"

install only the base requirements to get your system running... no video or audio fixes for now... we'll get those done later.

chose the XNU 9.4 kernel as well as the nForce Test fix.

when you successfully install, boot with "-f -v" and let me know where it stands... hopefully you don't get the account creation loop and it successfully installs. Then we'll worry about getting everything else set up.

Good luck.

EDIT 2: BTW, you may want to look into getting a new video card for your system. integrated graphics don't always give you the best output for graphics intensive apps in OS X... you'll need Quartx Extreme and Core Imaging for a lot of those apps and the integrated graphics processors don't always provide these features.

Alphaman 12-14-2008 08:37 PM

nfoav8or I'll try whatever you say

nfoav8or 12-14-2008 08:39 PM

alright bud. go give it a try and let me know what else I can help out with.

Alphaman 12-14-2008 08:41 PM

nfoav8or so I pop the dvd in press f8 and type "-f -x -v" or do I let the dvd load without me touch a key? I'm sorry for the idiotic questions I'm a newbie

nfoav8or 12-14-2008 08:43 PM

press f8 to boot into the DVD... when it hangs and asks you to "press any key" at any point in there, press any key and this will allow you to enter the boot flags from above.

Alphaman 12-15-2008 02:11 AM

nfoav8or I just got thru and none of what you guys advised worked I did what you guys said to the "t" exact and precise and the apple logo keeps spinning. after I installed ideneb v1.3 it said restart then as it starts to restart I get a black screen and it says killing all processes, continuing done, mach reboot and nothing happens it just stays there so then I pull out the power cord and boot the machine again and then I get the apple logo and it just keeps spinning when I go to verbose mode it just says nforceATA: found 0 units

Alphaman 12-15-2008 02:58 AM

On rebooting, I get stuck at the

MACH reboot

line.That's it. So I manually shut it down.

nfoav8or 12-15-2008 07:03 AM

ok... so you didn't understand what was said above... if you get the spinning apple screen (the Apple Boot-Graphics screen) then you didn't put the boot flags in like I told you to. if your machine got all the way through to the mach reboot line after install, then nothing else is being modified on your HD (you shouldn't have needed to pull the power cord out... a simple holding down of the power button would suffice).

when you boot up (to your installed system)... it asks you to "press any key" do so, then enter the boot flags: "-f -x -v" and tell me how far into the system it gets... it will scroll through a lot of code but I need to know what it hangs on.

Alphaman 12-15-2008 04:55 PM

what hangs on is NForceATA: found 0 units

Alphaman 12-15-2008 05:00 PM

nfoav8or I understood exactly what you guys said but I'm telling you after it says killing all processes, continuing done, mach reboot it does nothing else so how do I hold down the power button?

it won't let me boot up into my installed system because it stays on the screen where it says mach reboot?

Nfoav8or I'm a newbie not an idiot if you give me strict instructions I follow them. and that's what I did.

lanceomni 12-15-2008 06:16 PM

Ive had my machine stop short of shutting down like this. Nfoav8or mentioned holding down the power button on your computer to shutdown as apposed to pulling the power cord. Most if not all motherboards allow you to shutdown by holding the power button down for more than 4 seconds. It doesnt matter what it says on the screen as you could have nothing installed on the computer and still use this feature. Its very unlikely but that feature may be disabled in the BIOS. In short holding the power button down is going to get you to the same place as pulling the power cored without possible damage to the computer and your head. (never fails I hit my head on my desk everytime I duck under to check something inside my computer ;))

Im thinking Nfoav8or probably saw all of the:
Quote:

....apple logo keeps spinning.....and then I get the apple logo..... and it just keeps spinning......
And didnt notice this at the end:
Quote:

when I go to verbose mode it just says nforceATA: found 0 units
I thought the same thing the first time I read it.

Basically at this point your computer is hanging at
Code:

nforceATA: found 0 units
correct?

Alphaman 12-15-2008 08:30 PM

Yes. Correct and I don't know what else to do I'm starting to think an hp pavilion slimline s7700n can't run leo on it.

Alphaman 12-15-2008 08:31 PM

It never lets me get to the creat an account, networking or the welcome screen

Voyn1x 12-15-2008 09:15 PM

You could try switching the SATA mode to legacy IDE or enabling AHCI if you have those options in your bios?

Alphaman 12-15-2008 09:30 PM

Voyn1x thanks will try that now!

nfoav8or 12-15-2008 09:47 PM

Alphaman - The power cord issue isn't a big deal... The computer froze and you needed to restart it so either way, it worked. The as the computer scrolls through verbose mode, do you notice that nForceATA recognizes the drives after their initial "restart"? if this is the case, then the second time you see the series of nForceATA "errors" is normal... it is hanging on something else being loaded.

How did Vonyx's Bios-change work out?

Alphaman 12-15-2008 09:56 PM

I haven't done it yet because I'm trying to see where in the bios that would be

nfoav8or 12-15-2008 09:59 PM

the reason I think it is the graphics is because when I first started dealing with Leopard and using the SATA fix ApplenForceATA.kext my system would hang for almost 2 minutes at the last nForceATA: found 0 units... and come to find out, my graphics weren't loading. So I stopped installing graphics fixes during the install and it worked...

Keep up the hard work with this... at least you will know your machine through and through after all this. :)

Alphaman 12-15-2008 10:14 PM

your right but I did what you told me to do nfoa8or I did install with graphics and took out the graphics (flags) and all I got was the apple loading sign or spindle as you would call it

Alphaman 12-15-2008 10:40 PM

Voyn1x I don't have those options in my bios.

Alphaman 12-15-2008 10:45 PM

nfoav8or my video card is a intregrated nvidia geforce 6150 LE 128MB and I used to choose nvinject 128 because of my video card and my mobo chipset I chose nForceATA so should I shouldn't choose either?

nfoav8or 12-15-2008 10:48 PM

you should chose the nForce ATA fix but not the NVinject... just for now... We can worry about getting proper graphics support later... (default graphics will let you get into the system just fine... you won't have CI/QE or any resolutions other than 1024x768)