InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   9.6.0 Kernel, Based on Voodoo (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=1858)

pαuℓzurrr. 01-01-2009 03:03 PM

9.6.0 Kernel, Based on Voodoo

Andy made a 9.6.0 kernel with the sources of voodoo.
It comes as a package installer, and it should be working the same as the current 9.5.0 kernel ;)

Quote from Andy;

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Vandijck
Hi guys,
I've been working on porting the Voodoo XNU kernel sources for XNU 9.6.0.
I've just succeeded in this.
The installer is included in the two StuffIt archives.
The rest is the diff for the xnu sources.
Happy new year everybody.

Contents of the PKG are;

http://xs435.xs.to/xs435/09014/picture_2576.png

Also all question should be directed to Andy and not to the Voodoo team if you're having problems with this kernel

Download is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gl1nmwjen0y
Download source here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g3nootmzymy

eMatoS 01-01-2009 03:22 PM

I've been testing this new kernel and it seems fine, just like the original, only change I had to do was to restore the 10.5.6 seatbelt cause the older one was randomly generating kp's when mounting images.

pαuℓzurrr. 01-01-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eMatoS (Post 20260)
I've been testing this new kernel and it seems fine, just like the original, only change I had to do was to restore the 10.5.6 seatbelt cause the older one was randomly generating kp's when mounting images.

Yeah just noticed this too :P
Could you maybe send me the 10.5.6 seatbelt.kext? :)
Thnx!

eMatoS 01-01-2009 06:09 PM

Take a look at your inbox pαuℓzurrr.

If anyone needs the kext PM me.

pαuℓzurrr. 01-01-2009 06:15 PM

Thnx i got it ;)

mindlessmissy 01-01-2009 08:09 PM

ok ...

Looks good so far ... except for some sandbox errors in console ...

BTW what's up with the extra kexts and binaries ?

Are they very much needed ?

Alphaman 01-01-2009 09:26 PM

How do we reach Andy?

FirstHackTosh 01-02-2009 02:13 PM

Insanelymac ;-)
What are the benefits of the new kernel?
Working USB2, maybe? :)

maya77 01-02-2009 08:25 PM

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/wiki/NewsArchive

Quote:

2 Jan 2009

Some independent ports/derivatives of the Voodoo kernel have surfaced, which are based on the source patches we released.

Please note that the only place to obtain official versions of the kernel, package, documentation, sources and all related material is this site.

The source code license explicitly forbids derivative works from indicating any endorsement from us, and we request that all derivatives be identified as such (e.g. use a "Based on Voodoo" tag instead of just "Voodoo"). We do not take any responsibility whatsoever for any 3rd party versions of the kernel or derivatives, and caution against using them. Bug reports for any version of the kernel except those available on this site, will be ignored. Please direct all such issues to the respective authors. Thanks for your understanding.

biird 01-04-2009 06:13 AM

Hmmmm I cant get USB mounted and I think it's because the System.kext is 9.6, but my kernel is still 9.5....mach_kernel.voodoo still shows as 9.5 and when I rename it to try to use just mach_kernel, I can't boot...Any ideas?

maya77 01-04-2009 12:36 PM

Yes, just wait for Voodoo v2.

peppi911 01-04-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biird (Post 20426)
Hmmmm I cant get USB mounted and I think it's because the System.kext is 9.6, but my kernel is still 9.5....mach_kernel.voodoo still shows as 9.5 and when I rename it to try to use just mach_kernel, I can't boot...Any ideas?

probably com.apple.Boot.plist has hard stated entry to mach_kernel_voodoo?
Just check this and change to mach_kernel.
Then put in any kernel you want, andys 9.6 fits the newst system.kext and works,
or just wait until xnu is ready to go!
P

biird 01-04-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppi911 (Post 20438)
probably com.apple.Boot.plist has hard stated entry to mach_kernel_voodoo?
Just check this and change to mach_kernel.
Then put in any kernel you want, andys 9.6 fits the newst system.kext and works,
or just wait until xnu is ready to go!
P

Yep...that did it. Forgot about com.apple.Boot.plist. Thanks (now time to fix the Firewire) w00.

Xanthrax 01-06-2009 03:26 PM

It appears to run ok, but I cannot run the few PPC applications.

lanceomni 01-07-2009 11:52 PM

@Xanthrax
Running in 64bit mode can cause problems with running PPC applications via Rosetta. You can use the boot flag -legacy to force 32bit mode. I doubt you will be seeing a difference in performance until 10.6 comes out.

If it works out for you can add it to your com.apple.boot.plist

oneshot 01-09-2009 05:22 AM

Does Voodoo make it so AMD users can install 10.5.6 without any patches? (sorry kinda a stupid question probably)

Also, if I have an older version of voodoo will this just over wright it without a problem?

eMatoS 01-09-2009 11:07 AM

Voodoo will let you update just like with an intel, that doesn't mean it won't need any patch. Take a look at the 10.5.6 update threads around here and over insanely to see what I'm talking about. (the appleintelcpupowermanagement needs to be installed)

aevange 01-10-2009 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pαuℓzurrr. (Post 20258)
Andy made a 9.6.0 kernel with the sources of voodoo.
It comes as a package installer, and it should be working the same as the current 9.5.0 kernel ;)

Quote from Andy;

Contents of the PKG are;

http://xs435.xs.to/xs435/09014/picture_2576.png

Also all question should be directed to Andy and not to the Voodoo team if you're having problems with this kernel

Download is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gl1nmwjen0y
Download source here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g3nootmzymy

Installed this version and went into KP when installing iLife09 Trial. Here's a photo of the screen.

eMatoS 01-10-2009 05:24 AM

aevange, you'll need 10.5.6 seatbelt.

Sent you a PM

scififan68 01-10-2009 06:04 AM

I installed the kernel and now all my ppc apps now crash before they load with "EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)" :-| I boot with -legacy. Any ideas?

lanceomni 01-10-2009 02:45 PM

You don't by any chance have -force64 in your com.apple.boot.plist do you?

pαuℓzurrr. 01-10-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aevange (Post 20739)
Installed this version and went into KP when installing iLife09 Trial. Here's a photo of the screen.

Where did you get iLife '09 :O ?
And like eMatoS suggested, you'll need the 10.5.6 seatbelt...

lanceomni 01-10-2009 07:05 PM

@pαuℓzurrr
Quote:

Where did you get iLife '09 :O ?
Yeah I about flipped out when I saw the facial recognition feature. I can't wait to see how well it works.

outwithspam 01-12-2009 07:57 AM

I tried Andy's installer because I had a 9.5.0 kernel and a 9.6.0 system.kext. I believe this prevented my USB key from mounting. Still have a 9.5.0 kernel and by the way, couldn't find the com.apple.boot.plist file on my machine???

Any ideas

Thanks

Louise

I'm new to this so I'm not sure what info you need but here goes:

Chameleon 1.0.11
4 GB RAM
SATA 500 GB HD
Used iDeneb 10.5.5 to install
Upgrading the kernel with this file: http://www.feelingentity.com/2008/11...ase-candidate/
Apple software update to Leopard 10.5.6

outwithspam 01-12-2009 08:15 AM

Several apps no longer work

Also noticed that after the kernel upgrading using Andy's package installer, several apps no longer work. Most notably, Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint and Filemaker give me the message "The Application Microsoft Word quit unexpectedly". Trashing the prefs didn't solve the problem. My new mantra, a couple of weeks into this experience is "It's not a computer, it's a hobby"!

Louise

lanceomni 01-12-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outwithspam (Post 20866)
Also noticed that after the kernel upgrading using Andy's package installer, several apps no longer work. Most notably, Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint and Filemaker give me the message "The Application Microsoft Word quit unexpectedly". Trashing the prefs didn't solve the problem. My new mantra, a couple of weeks into this experience is "It's not a computer, it's a hobby"!
Louise

How did you update to 10.5.6?

Open Terminal and type:
uname -a
Reply back with what it says your kernel is. It should look something like: 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0 Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

The DMG you downloaded should have a folder called "Files" in this folder you will have the 9.5.0 System.kext. We can install it manually. Open the DMG and drag system.kext to your desktop and type the following in Terminal (These commands rely on the system.kext being on your desktop:

1. Give yourself root privileges to modify files.
Code:

sudo -s
2. Change directory to /s/l
Code:

cd /System/Library/
3. Remove the existing system.kext. (You can back this up first if you like)
Code:

rm -rf Extensions/system.kext
4. Copy the 9.5.0 system.kext you extracted from the download
Code:

cp -r ~/Desktop/system.kext Extensions/system.kext
5. Set proper permissions to the extensions folder
Code:

chmod -R 755 Extensions/
6. Set proper ownership to the extensions folder
Code:

chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
7. Touch the extensions folder
Code:

touch Extensions/
8. Remove the extensions cache to force OSX to rebuild it with the new system.kext
Code:

rm -rf Extensions.mkext
9. Repair permissions to the entire drive
Code:

diskutil repairpermissions /
Reboot with -v -f

You should now have matching kernel and system. There are shorter ways of doing these commands but this should give you a better understanding of the process.

outwithspam 01-12-2009 03:32 PM

[quote=lanceomni;20877]How did you update to 10.5.6?

Open Terminal and type:
uname -a
Reply back with what it says your kernel is. It should look something like: 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0 Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

In answer to your question, I used Apple software update to upgrade to Leopard 10.5.6 (but previously I had done the update included in Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg.)

I was not able to do what you suggested because I could no longer mount disk images but I realized from your question and from reading the docs that accompanied the voodoo image above that my problem was that Apple's software update installed a new kernel called mach_kernel but that was not the kernel in the com.apple.boot.plist (yeah I found it finally...as I said, I'm new to this). I renamed mach_kernel to mach_kernel.apple (just to remember where it came from), edited the plist and now "uname -a) says 9.5.6 and this is also the version of the system.kext. Now MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Filemaker quit unexpectedly when I try to load them) but so far so good for everything else. Since I need these to do some "real work", I'll go and do some more reading to solve this issue quickly. If you think you can help with this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

outwithspam 01-12-2009 05:09 PM

Reinstalling "Rosetta translation" didn't work

I thought my problem regarding opening word, filemaker (and several other "older" apps) was a rosetta translation problem and I reinstalled the "translate" file from a package I found here:

http://hosted.filefront.com/iSynic

When this didn't work, I copied the file from my Apple MacBook Pro running Leopard 10.5.6 and this didn't work either. When trying to open these "older" apps, the console reports a "bus error".

lanceomni 01-12-2009 05:58 PM

@outwithspam

Problem opening disk images (DMG)

Well we can fix the not being able to open DMG files. If you replace seatbelt.kext with one previous to the 10.5.6 version you should be good to go. If you do not have a backup copy of this then you can download the 10.5.5 single update and extract the file using Pacifist.

Kernel issues
Did you mean 9.5.0 because you listed 9.5.6. I figured it was a typo. Did it did say Voodoo RC1?
NFOav8or had some good advice for kernels. His method was to keep a copy of the Voodoo kernel as mach_kernel.voodoo and also rename a second copy as mach_kernel this way if an update overwrites it you can just copy over it. Even if you restart and the system hangs you can set OSX to load mach_kernel.voodoo as a boot option.

PPC application problems.
The only thing I know of dealing with Rosetta problems is forcing 64bit mode. What other flags do you have in your com.apple.boot.plist

Kernel, system.kext & seatbelt.kext manual Installation

Place mach_kernel.voodoo seatbelt.kext & system.kext on your desktop (the following commands rely on those files being on the desktop) Ill explain each command. Open terminal and type:

1. Give yourself root privilages to modify files
Code:

sudo -s
2. Copy voodoo kernel to the root directory
Code:

cp -r ~/Desktop/mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel.voodoo
3. Make a copy of mach_kernel.voodoo as mach_kernel (This overwrite whatever is there)
Code:

cp -r /mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel
4. Change directories to /System/Library
Code:

cd /System/Library
5. Copy system.kext 9.5.0 from the desktop to the extensions folder
Code:

6. Copy seatbelt.kext, 10.5.5 version, from the desktop to the extensions folder
Code:

cp -r ~/Desktop/seatbelt.kext Extensions/seatbelt.kext
7. Set ownership for all kernels
Code:

chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*
8. Set permissions for all kernels
Code:

chmod 644 /mach_kernel*
9. Set permissions for kexts in the extensions folder
Code:

chmod -R 755 Extensions/
10. Set ownership for kexts in the extensions folder
Code:

11. Touch the extensions folder
Code:

touch Extensions/
12. Remove the extensions cache to force OSX to rebuild it
Code:

rm -rf Extensions.mkext
13. Repair disk permissions to the entire drive
Code:

Reboot with -v -f If you using com.apple.boot.plist to point to your kernel then remove this. You want to check com.apple.boot.plist prior to restarting just to make sure its not pointing to some other kernel. If it says mach_kernel, mach_kernel.voodoo or nothing at all its fine.

Here is a copy of the above commands in one clean sweep.
Code:

sudo -s
cp -r ~/Desktop/mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel.voodoo
cp -r /mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel
cd /System/Library
cp -r ~/Desktop/seatbelt.kext Extensions/seatbelt.kext
chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*
chmod 644 /mach_kernel*
chmod -R 755 Extensions/
touch Extensions/
rm -rf Extensions.mkext

outwithspam 01-12-2009 07:05 PM

[quote=lanceomni;20888]@outwithspam

Problem opening disk images (DMG)

This now works.

Kernel issues
Did you mean 9.5.0 because you listed 9.5.6. I figured it was a typo. Did it did say Voodoo RC1?
NFOav8or had some good advice for kernels. His method was to keep a copy of the Voodoo kernel as mach_kernel.voodoo and also rename a second copy as mach_kernel this way if an update overwrites it you can just copy over it. Even if you restart and the system hangs you can set OSX to load mach_kernel.voodoo as a boot option.

Yes it was 9.5.0 and I did rename and keep my old kernels. Good advice.

PPC application problems.
The only thing I know of dealing with Rosetta problems is forcing 64bit mode. What other flags do you have in your com.apple.boot.plist

I think this is what I have to do. How do I do this?

Thanks

lanceomni 01-12-2009 07:17 PM

Look in com.apple.boot.plist located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and if you see something like -force64 then remove it.

Likewise after you have done this reboot and use -v -legacy

-legacy should force 32bit mode. Check and see if your PPC apps are working. As far as translate Im not sure it what you have done will change anything.

outwithspam 01-13-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanceomni (Post 20892)
Look in com.apple.boot.plist located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and if you see something like -force64 then remove it.

Likewise after you have done this reboot and use -v -legacy

-legacy should force 32bit mode. Check and see if your PPC apps are working. As far as translate Im not sure it what you have done will change anything.

Didn't have -force64 or anthing like it in the plist but did the reboot using -v legacy. Didn't work. Somehow screwed up my Core Services by removing and then returning some items and now system doesn't boot. I think I should look into re-installing because I really need my apps,..

Thanks again for all your help. .

belmarduk 01-21-2009 03:42 PM

Could someone post the steps to revert back to the 10.5.6 Vanilla Kernel?

Please and thank you.

kocoman 02-04-2009 10:47 PM

Does anyone know where to find the changelog or SVN of the voodoo 9.6.0 kernel?

lanceomni 02-04-2009 11:38 PM

Unless I missed something.... a 9.6.0 voodoo kernel has not been released. They most recent is 9.5.0. Here is the link to voodoo's google source page http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

kocoman 02-05-2009 10:41 PM

I asked the question because this beta version fixed the "deadlock" kernel panics on 10.5.6 vanilla retail when cpus=2 was used for my msi motherboard. I guess you have to be a member of the development team to access the beta version change logs. (I thought it would be open sourced to everybody, including unfinished versions)

zyph3r 02-09-2009 12:22 PM

Why doesnt someone upload 10.5.6 seatbelt damnit... Now we have to wait for paul or eMatos or whoever.. and i need it now damnit

Is it that big of a problem to post a link HERE?

lanceomni 02-09-2009 01:50 PM

It is strongly recommended that you keep a backup copy of your extensions folder prior to doing any type of updating. This way if you have problems you can fix them.

Check your PMs

Wayang-NT 03-05-2009 06:02 AM

it this kext that you've lookin' for? dunno the version is, but i run mine with kernel 9.6.0 .....hope you can use it.....:D

ATTACHMENT REMOVED

"Please dont post Apples own material Thanks LawlessPPC"

cj95 03-09-2009 04:51 PM

what is the point of installing this if it will work same as 9.5.0??

lateralusman 03-18-2009 12:32 AM

Would this fix my ongoing mouse lag problem with the VooDoo 9.5.0 Kernel?
Linky: http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/mouse-...ppiness-t2170/

oneshot 03-20-2009 12:43 PM

can I install this on 10.5.5 or do I have to be at 10.5.6?

Thopedam 03-25-2009 10:22 PM

I LOVE YOU!!!! awesome work.!! now everything what was wrong works!!

dracea 03-26-2009 12:50 AM

ok so a strict guide where to download files and what need to do to update from 9.5.0 to 9.6.0????
i just don`t understand here anything ...

esz 03-28-2009 02:15 PM

Can someone post the seatbelt fix for the voodoo 9.6.0?

Sokairyk 04-26-2009 04:38 PM

I tried to install this but when the install finished my system crashed and I wasn't booting up.So i reinstalled leopard again.Why i can't install this ???? I have voodoo 9.5.0 kernel
and my system is 10.5.6.

andyvand 04-26-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstHackTosh (Post 20312)
Insanelymac ;-)
What are the benefits of the new kernel?
Working USB2, maybe? :)

USB2 support has nothing to do with my kernel...
BTW: this kernel is obsolete...
The new one also has mac model override configurable and has a built-in decrypter...
It also supports the old HPET driver (emulation of HPET for those without HPET and other things)
You can find the newer one at:
http://laptopneeds.forumotion.co.uk/...el-v14-t10.htm
The installer and the sources are available from the black link at the bottom...
Also included is a full explanation of the kernels features...
If you need better USB2 support use my USB2 drivers available from:
http://laptopneeds.forumotion.co.uk/...usbehci-t5.htm
They will offer you better and faster USB2 support with hard BIOS reset... they are based on the latest sources from Apple (so all is for 10.5.6 offcourse).
Any questions you can ask me...
EDIT: Those issues you all are talking about all got fixed since release V1.4 of the kernel... now everything works as it should...
You are still using V1.1 of the kernel which still used old dynamic linker and didn't have as much features + some issues...
Try the new one... you all will be much more satisfied...

maya77 04-29-2009 10:49 AM

Post links here when it's updated?

andyvand 04-29-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maya77 (Post 25503)
Post links here when it's updated?

Sure... next release will be for 10.5.7 though...
I fixed up all of the major issues with the kernel so...

maya77 04-30-2009 11:53 PM

Works fine here, except I had kernel panic yesterday, after long time, but not sure what caused it, as both, Firefox and kernel was updated before that. Only Firefox was running and kernel panic error said it has something with the FF...