InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Leopard 10.5 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Stumped During Retail Leopard OS X on PC (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=2569)

Shakeymoe 04-13-2009 10:53 PM

retail Mac Dvd

The reason you can't install is that you formatted the partition in NTFS. The retail DVD can only be installed on Fat32 formattted partitions.

uhtardedsqwirl 04-20-2009 02:24 AM

ok so i gave leo4all v3 a go and met with partial success. the disk booted and i was able to re-format the partition with MAC OS X (Journaled) and then made it to the part where my disk is checked for errors before it begins to install (the DVD i am installing from and not the hard disk). it makes it to 52% and then gives me a dirty disk error and asks me to restart. i have burned the disk twice, once with poweriso and once with astroburn and both meet the same problem. i think that it may be a problem with the file i "obtained". the file is 4.37GB burned to a Sony DVD+R 4.7GB at 3x speed both times but on different DVDs.

how would it matter if i formatted with NTFS or FAT32 when i have to re-format to MAC OS X (Journaled) in order for the setup to run on the partition?

nunrg2009 04-20-2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhtardedsqwirl (Post 24613)
i thought that sounded weird cause i know about jumpers and desktops but never notebooks...i would only crack it open as a last resort since i have done it before...i also added my southbridge to the specs above...i can't believe i left that one out but you can't always remember everything.

i have been trying to find a BOOT 132 specific for my computer but haven't managed to find one. i have a copy of the slimbuild version where you add the kexts specific to your machine but my problem is i'm not adept enough to know where to find them. i have heard of the other things like iDeneb, iATAKOS, Leo4All, and Kalaway if that is indeed what you are talking about. if so then please suggest which you think would be best.

as we speak i am "obtaining" Leo4All V3 because i have been at this for 2 weeks worth of long nights and am not stopping till this machine runs OS X. Retail would be preferable but in the meantime i will stick with what i can get until then.

also, if you have any help regarding making my own personalized BOOT132 that would be great.

also, if it is a bad burn then maybe i could try booting the 132 from a flash drive?

I used leo4all v3 for a while and I loved it. The options are simple, the only problem is that things like your sound and network drivers may not be on the disk. Also you are kinda stuck with 10.5.2 (I think there is a 10.5.3 upgrade) which started to have its limitations because some apps I wanted to run were 10.5.5 and up. I switched to iPC 10.5.6 recently, It has way more drivers and fixes to choose from but it took more trial and error to make it work right

uhtardedsqwirl 04-20-2009 07:00 AM

i will try iPC but i would really like to get retail running on my PC. not only the fact that you can legitimately update from apple but it would be a whole new level of accomplishment for myself. thank you for your advice.

uhtardedsqwirl 04-21-2009 07:28 AM

tried installing iPC burned to a Sony DVD+R 4.7 GB and still landed at 52% with a dirty disk error. i don't think it's the files i am getting anymore. but i have tried burning with two different programs and they both stop at 52%. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Dies 04-21-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhtardedsqwirl (Post 24994)
how would it matter if i formatted with NTFS or FAT32 when i have to re-format to MAC OS X (Journaled) in order for the setup to run on the partition?

It wouldn't. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhtardedsqwirl (Post 25037)
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

As far as your problem goes.

Seems like something is up with your optical drive, maybe Leopard just doesn't like it or the chipset controlling it.

Now is it just getting stuck when you try verifying the disk or does it error out if you skip the disk check and try to install anyways?

Also, do you have another machine available that you could try these disks on?

If they verify on another machine, then maybe a USB DVD drive would work...

Yet another option, although it's a little more involved, you could always put the iso on a partition or usb drive ( if it allows booting from usb, of course ) and boot it from there instead of the optical drive.

uhtardedsqwirl 04-21-2009 07:59 PM

if i skip the disk check it loads some and then hangs and eventiually gives me the dirty dick error anyway.

well i do have my girlfriend's computer but i'm not sure how thrilled she would be if i asked her if i could install stuff on it. i might be able to try though, thanks for the tip.

also, i have heard of people using the method where they put the OS X installation on an iPod or similar device with about 8GB of room and installing from there. as of right now i have no idea if my machine supports that but i will try it out as soon as i can.

i tihnk iPC is small enough to fit on my 4GB flash drive. is there any specific way i should go about putting the image on there?

uhtardedsqwirl 04-22-2009 02:48 AM

just spent an entire day trying to get a cracked version of Nero 9 working so i could try using that to burn the image and it still hangs at 52% during the pre-installation disk check and gives me a dirty disk error. i guess my drive wasn't made for doing these kinds of things.

next step it to try and format my 4GB memory stick and try to mount the image to it.

uhtardedsqwirl 04-22-2009 05:36 AM

and my memory stick is too small for the operation that i need it for so not i will be accepting any and all alternative methods to the installation. HELP!

nunrg2009 04-22-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhtardedsqwirl (Post 25091)
and my memory stick is too small for the operation that i need it for so not i will be accepting any and all alternative methods to the installation. HELP!

dude, I had all kinds of trouble getting a disk to work. ipc ppf5 disc gave me similar problems but the ppf4 disc worked fine. try that one if you haven't already and make sure you burn on 4x