InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   10.X (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New DUET based EFI Bootloader! (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=6383)

OS_Ninja 07-22-2010 07:15 PM

New DUET based EFI Bootloader!

1 Attachment(s)
:::EDIT::: 11/18/2010 Major Bug Fix Snow Leo hang is fixed with kext patch working!!

This is a DUET based Bootloader that uses EFI over BIOS on Efi compatible PC's..

At minimum you need a Core based processor and a 945 based chipset or higher.

This efi bootloader consists of an Efildr20 file and an efi file structure.

There are two different Efildr20 loaders. One is for NVIDIA card owners and the other is for all other card owners.

It has a nice GUI, READ-ME and user feature's!

It is capable of booting Win7, Linux Fedora and OS X 10.4-10.6.x.

rEFIt run's natively from any os x partition. Just like on an Intel Mac!

The efi loader application uses Apple's own boot.efi for the boot process!

It is also capable of loading efi strings, dsdt, additional kext files and efi modules.

I encourage all that are interested in this to come join #iboot on irc moofspeak.

Greeting's

OS_Ninja

*NEW RELEASE* iBOOT is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?pcgzi2dwamk9gz8

*all material inside is respective to the copyright individual listed...!

All screenshots here: http://www.mediafire.com/?si1qoomc8e870c5

Cartri 07-25-2010 05:53 PM

Contact

Please enter in contact as soon as possible!

OS_Ninja 07-26-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartri (Post 49676)
Please enter in contact as soon as possible!

Cartri what contact do you mean?

How to get in contact with me?

Cartri 07-26-2010 01:17 AM

Instant message

Please enter in contact trough private message, i did send you one.
Or contact me in my site in the forums... please identify you are the boot.efi loader guy.
I have ideas on it, we can do something spectacular depending on the stage of your actual work

B666 07-28-2010 04:37 PM

Ninja, first, thank you for your job. Second, sorry for the noobish question but, how to install this bootloader on a usb pen drive?
Thank You.

STLVNUB 07-28-2010 07:31 PM

More info in general is needed.

OS_Ninja 07-30-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STLVNUB (Post 49741)
More info in general is needed.

The READ-ME included in the iBOOT download link always helps...;)

You need to format your usb pen drive to the FAT32 file structure. Using OS X in disk utility you would format it to the MS-DOS(FAT) file system.

You can then use the DuetToHdd bootsector tool that is also included in the iBOOT download and includes it's own READ-ME...;)

If you were running windows you might have a problem getting your usb pen drive set up because I'm not done with the windows bootsector tool yet. Maybe in a couple days it will be done.

Hopefully that is all you will need to get started for now. It is such an elegant interface to use. "True" EFI is a beautiful thing.

STLVNUB 07-31-2010 07:15 AM

The bit that doesn't make sense is the files.
What do you do/where do they go on the USB stick.

blkhockeypro19 07-31-2010 06:39 PM

hey guys, i just got iboot installed to an SD card. Boots up wonderfully, i wish it saved my resolution settings, but thats ok. I was able to successfully boot rEFIt from Macintosh HD, but I cannot boot any OS. Selecting Macintosh HD to boot from yields a greay screen with no HD light activity for a very long time

My install process consisted of running the DuetToHD from terminal, and it successfully installed to my USB SD card reader. I then copied the "efi" folder over, and removed strings.dat as well as AppleDecrypt.kext, because I use fakesmc.kext instead. The root of my SD card looks like this:
efi (folder)
Efildr20
Efivar.bin

STLVNUB 07-31-2010 08:45 PM

Will try that.The readme DOESN'T say to put the efi folder onto USB,
Where did you get Efivar.bin from ??

blkhockeypro19 07-31-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STLVNUB (Post 49823)
Will try that.The readme DOESN'T say to put the efi folder onto USB,
Where did you get Efivar.bin from ??

It automatically makes the file when you use it.

STLVNUB 07-31-2010 11:05 PM

ok will try. thanks

blkhockeypro19 08-01-2010 05:22 AM

Well I can state that this does not work for me. Something is off, and it is not only with the DUET bootloader, but also XPC. I select the disk I want to boot from, then it just goes to a grey screen. The hard drive light is inactive. It would be great if there was a sure way to get this working for everyone. Can we have some guidance? I am not new when it comes to this stuff, and I understand exactly what I am doing, but the files simply do not work for me. For the sake of me as well as inexperienced users, a simple guide would be great. And the readme is not nearly enough.

P.S. I can even load rEFIt if it is on macintosh HD, but yet again, it will not actually load the OS.

STLVNUB 08-01-2010 08:22 AM

Mine tries to boot DVD errors out (no dvd in drive) then appears to lock up.
Haven't tried with DVD.More info would be great.

OS_Ninja 08-02-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkhockeypro19 (Post 49827)
Well I can state that this does not work for me. Something is off, and it is not only with the DUET bootloader, but also XPC. I select the disk I want to boot from, then it just goes to a grey screen. The hard drive light is inactive. It would be great if there was a sure way to get this working for everyone. Can we have some guidance? I am not new when it comes to this stuff, and I understand exactly what I am doing, but the files simply do not work for me. For the sake of me as well as inexperienced users, a simple guide would be great. And the readme is not nearly enough.

P.S. I can even load rEFIt if it is on macintosh HD, but yet again, it will not actually load the OS.

There is a slight delay booting Snow Leopard right now. The efi partition table is hidden in SL and there are some 64bit functions in boot.efi that it scans over before loading the file. I am in the middle of fixing it.

Leopard loads extremely fast. I can reach the desktop from the GUI in about 5 seconds.

Tiger loads even faster.

blkhockeypro19 08-02-2010 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OS_Ninja (Post 49840)
There is a slight delay booting Snow Leopard right now. The efi partition table is hidden in SL and there are some 64bit functions in boot.efi that it scans over before loading the file. I am in the middle of fixing it.

Leopard loads extremely fast. I can reach the desktop from the GUI in about 5 seconds.

Tiger loads even faster.

5 seconds, that is incredible. What is your hardware? I will try a leopard DVD. How long should I wat for snow leopard to load? I have given it quite some time (15 minutes with nothing but a black screen). I am using a GA-EP45T-UD3LR with AHCI, 64bit HPET, and for the record chameleon is installed on the drive, i hope that isn't conflicting.

Drop me a message on AIM if you feel like chatting about this, blkhockeypro19
I know some people that have some really great ideas of how to expand upon this.

OS_Ninja 08-05-2010 10:06 PM

8/5/2010 Major Bug Fix Snow Leo hang is fixed with kext patch working!!

New DL URL in first post :)

bdrako 08-24-2010 03:56 PM

Hi !

I´ve just tried the last version (via irc) and

-> where is the smbios patch ?
-> a bug with > 4gb ram, SL just report 3,2 the same problem if i boot linux with this booter
-> the kexts in extra_kext just load in 32 bit mode

my specs:

X58A-UD3R - 6GB RAM - Xeon W3520 - GTX260

blkhockeypro19 08-24-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdrako (Post 50267)
Hi !

I´ve just tried the last version (via irc) and

-> where is the smbios patch ?
-> a bug with > 4gb ram, SL just report 3,2 the same problem if i boot in linux with this booter
-> the kexts in extra_kext just load in 32 bit mode

my specs:

X58A-UD3R - 6GB RAM - Xeon W3520 - GTX260

There is no SMBIOS patch at the moment. Boot with arch=x86_64 by pressing M at the GUI and adding your boot flags. fakesmc.kext fails to load in64bit with iBoot, so drop it in S/L/E. Come to IRC and talk to "Bryan" if you need more help.

bdrako 08-24-2010 06:40 PM

I´ve just compilled uefi edk/edk2 duet (both) booted up my linux drive and it seems the 4gb ram "bug" is there too, so it's not related to iboot..

edit:

i´ve just found if i use acpipatcher.efi in modules and i add a couple of fake .aml tables the bug is gone, lol dirty but it works

http://www.imagehut.net/images/xm2pzkjoq5h69w5deces.jpg
http://www.imagehut.net/images/u75o6fcuzv6ve26bb7r.jpg

btw: very nice work guys, congrats , sorry if i didnt say it in my previous post

CelciusCool 08-28-2010 04:59 PM

Hi

After a while this message is displayed on screen

Native resolution initialized!
NVidia Graphics = 0x05E3
Could not find NVidia - Unsupported

My card is a XFX Nvidia GTX 285 Black Edition: 10de:05E3

just to let you know this.

osmarbcn 08-29-2010 10:09 AM

Hello OS_Ninja, yor link not work, can´t you post one new link for download please
great work,

thanks

OS_Ninja 08-30-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osmarbcn (Post 50396)
Hello OS_Ninja, yor link not work, can´t you post one new link for download please
great work,

thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in the project. The link in the first post is updated.

I do incourage you to join the irc channel as it is the most current way to interact with the project and DL iBOOT.

Its kind of hard to maintain 2 topics at once ya know?

kirasir 08-30-2010 03:38 PM

Does not work with patched DSDT — KP.

osmarbcn 09-04-2010 05:04 PM

Hello Os_Ninja, Your boot fail not work
your IRC fail
your guide fail

Last login: Sat Sep 4 17:27:58 on ttys000
osmar-dallass-iMac:~ osmardallas$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# sudo ./DuetToHdd DiskIdentifier Efildr
sudo: ./DuetToHdd: command not found
bash-3.2# sudo ./DuetToHdd /dev/rdisk0s4 ./Efildr20
bash-3.2# ./DuetToHdd usb /dev/rdisk1s1 Efildr20
bash: ./DuetToHdd: No such file or directory
bash-3.2#

and you?.......jajajajajajaj

Thanks!!!!!!!

OS_Ninja 09-05-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osmarbcn (Post 50533)
Hello Os_Ninja, Your boot fail not work
your IRC fail
your guide fail

Last login: Sat Sep 4 17:27:58 on ttys000
osmar-dallass-iMac:~ osmardallas$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# sudo ./DuetToHdd DiskIdentifier Efildr
bash-3.2# sudo ./DuetToHdd /dev/rdisk0s4 ./Efildr20
bash-3.2# ./DuetToHdd usb /dev/rdisk1s1 Efildr20
bash: ./DuetToHdd: No such file or directory
bash-3.2#

and you?.......jajajajajajaj

Thanks!!!!!!!

UHM........ You need to cd to the DuettoHDD dir and then run the command from terminal.

kirasir 09-07-2010 08:11 PM

patched DSDT? Криворукие пользователи пусть учатся сами

hacktrix2006@li 09-30-2010 05:51 AM

OS_Ninja

Hi bud any chance of a reup of the iBoot UEFI, i'd like to test it as i'm trying to make the choice between using a UEFI or Charm Based install.

Thanks

hacktrix2006@li 09-30-2010 03:48 PM

hi i managed to get the lastest from the IRC channel. There is a issue with booting from USB to a 10.6.4 install on my Hardrive it KP's its something to do with VoodooPS2 kext file. Do you know of any 64bit versions of all voodoo kext files for the Card Reader, HDA and Battery including the Mouse as well. Thanks

Its a Nice Idea even though my Windows 7 Install doesn't show but thats down to it being 32 bit and not 64bit UEFI installed.

nesnfsn 10-29-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OS_Ninja (Post 49597)
:::EDIT::: 8/5/2010 Major Bug Fix Snow Leo hang is fixed with kext patch working!!

This is a DUET based Bootloader that uses EFI over BIOS on Efi compatible PC's..

There are two different Efildr20 loaders. One is for NVIDIA card owners and the other is for all other card owners.

It is also capable of loading efi strings, dsdt, additional kext files and efi modules.

I encourage all that are interested in this to come join #iboot on irc moofspeak.

Greeting's

OS_Ninja

iBOOT is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?f7uz8flf4abfboc

Here's the info from the screen once you go to this URL link:
Invalid or Deleted File
The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.
Click here to view our help resources

I would love to see how this works, as I have a GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3L based system using Cartri's 0.8 BIOS Mod currently, and have another system waiting to be build with an Asus P6T, i7 930 CPU, 12 MB DDR3 RAM, etc. Thought I would try iBoot, and came across this thread doing a google search tonight.

Updated link, PLEASE???

nesnfsn in sunny South Florida

OS_Ninja 11-12-2010 05:07 AM

For those having problems with 64bit kexts versus 32bit kexts loading while booting 10.6.x, please use the boot flags provided.

32bit arch=i386

64bit arch=x86_64

This should help. If you have problems booting in 64bit mode, then boot in 32bit mode and vice versa.

BTW iBOOT has taken on an entirely new look with many new features!

Try it out!!

P.S. If you have any questions that are involved or in depth, I advise to join my irc channel on Moofspeak.net IRC #iboot. Thanks

OS_Ninja 11-18-2010 05:26 PM

iBOOT now supports laptops and trackpads.

I also fixed USB Ownership problems in new release.

williamparker 11-20-2010 06:41 PM

Pardon me but I am quite confused.
Is having a UEFI booting capable motherboard a requisite for the boot-loader in under discussion?
If this works with UEFI can Chameleon booter be completely done away with and iBoot be used to boot a OS-X install on the hard-drive?
Thanks

jacoweb 03-02-2011 02:56 PM

where can i found acpipatcher.efi ??

fbifido 03-03-2011 04:40 PM

what size usb stick can i used IBOOT on.

can i use 2 partition on a 4gig usb stick as in 100mb for 1st partition ans the rest for 2nd partition?

fbifido 03-03-2011 05:05 PM

did a lot of test just to get the IBOOT files working

i format 2 usb stick, a 2gig and a 4gig as FAT16, not FAT32

then run the windows IBOOT setup, click format->select the usb disk (H:), when it finnish format do not click "OK", just pull the usb out and wait 5 sec then put it back in, then click "OK"
select the other button, and wait till it's done. Properly remove the usb disk. then put it back in.

copy your dsdt.aml file to the /efi/dsdt/ directory
and copy fakesmc.kext to /efi/kext/ directory

properly remove the usb stick. now when you boot from the usb, if you get a blank scrren, just press W and wait a few sec that press D, if it is still blank press D again.

jacoweb 03-03-2011 05:16 PM

but where can i found acpipatcher.efi anyone know where? Because that can fix the ----ing memory problem in lion so far :)

fbifido 03-04-2011 03:33 PM

my notes above only works on a ibm thinkcentre m52
i have a few other system which iboot will not boot on, I get the dreaded blinking white cursor.

if it boots on one computer, that means the IBOOT usb stick was created properly. so why is it not working on other machine?

OS_Ninja, can you modify or create a copy of iboot to work on 800x600 screen with GUI as default?

Thank you.

BTW: can you tell me the minimum requirement for iboot to work on a pc?

if i have no HDD and no CDROM what elese will affect the boot process:
this info is just for iboot to work.

cpu:_________________________________
x64/x32 board:________________________
type/amount/speed mem:_______________
type/make/brand bios:__________________
usb type: [ ]-2.0 [ ]-1.0 [ ]-3.0 ; just put a x in the braket
type/make/brand video:_________________
video card slot/speed: [ ]-AGP [ ]-PCI [ ]-PCIx speed: _________
serial port: [ ]-disable or port/address:______

fbifido 03-04-2011 05:14 PM

how about a debug version that shows us what is going on, where it hangs, etc...

fbifido 03-04-2011 05:19 PM

This is a first for me, it's frustrating, to think that a x86 boot manager, is not working on so mush x86 machine.

Can one one make a cdrom version, or make a img image of a working bootable with GUI usb stick and upload it.

fbifido 03-04-2011 07:26 PM

i did a few test to see why my x86 can not display the GUI of iboot.

1) i found the iphone makeusb.bat file and did this:
a) run the makeusb.bat h:, remove the usb and put it in my pc, restart my pc, all i got was the blinking cursor in the top left of the screen.
it seems as if it is not loading anythink out of efi directory or the efildr20 file, Why?

b) i run the iboot windows file as admin, click the Format usb drive button, unplug, plug it back in,
click setup iBoot, then click done, when it's finish. click the usb drive, select eject, then put it in my other computer, got the same think (blinking cursor at the top-left of the screen.)

Paranoid 03-07-2011 10:16 AM

Am i correct in it dont work on a GPT disc...

I have installed it to the EFI partition on the drive i have Lion on and when it "boot" the drive it say:

GPT Start!
GPT Error!

I have the EFI folder on the EFI Partition and on the first Partition where Lion is installed.

Also on another note iBoot here dont like my DX58SO motherboard it trows out a error on it.

tdtran1025 03-08-2011 11:27 PM

First off, this is the one boot loader with so much potential. I finally got the correct forum.
I have been dying to get an answer as to how to boot Windows. Can you include a HowTo file for booting Winsdows? Thanks Ninja_OS!

fbifido 03-11-2011 10:02 PM

sorry, but what version iboot is at now ?

tdtran1025 03-11-2011 11:15 PM

I am using 1.4, with no support for Windows boot sector yet. I wish to encourage OS_Nijna to keep improving this loader. I really want to put this on a hard drive once it's complete.

tdtran1025 03-12-2011 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

:::EDIT::: 11/18/2010 Major Bug Fix Snow Leo hang is fixed with kext patch working!!

Greeting's

OS_Ninja

*NEW RELEASE* iBOOT is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?pcgzi2dwamk9gz8

OS-Ninja,

I took the liberty to modify the icons (I have a habit of doing this) to make the boot screen look consistent with all my rigs, regardless of what boot loader I use, from rEFI, your iBOOT and even Chameleon. I always honor the author's logo and boot theme. I merely change the HD icons to my liking.
I really, really like your latest version 1.4. It boots 10.6 just as easily as it does 10.7. I am waiting for your next version that can handle Windows boot environment, and hopefully the capability to reside on a single drive with MBR.

Yamcha 03-24-2011 08:46 PM

I can't get iBoot working correctly, what happens is the GUI doesn't show up, instead I get a different type of GUI

Screenshot
http://i52.tinypic.com/fejxcp.jpg

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've tried the Windows Setup Tool.. Still no success..

Appreciate your help :]

afd_sg 03-29-2011 05:33 AM

OS_Ninja - New DUET based EFI Bootloader.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi OS_Ninja - I believe that you are on to something very special here and I cannot wait to get it working. I have had best results with the 1.5 file you have on your iRC link, but that results in a KP and a screenshot is attached.

Version 1.5 appears to select its own DSDT, that did not work well and I replaced the DSDT with my own which works very well with Chameleon but really no different that the one that the installation picked up.

Other anomalies are my apple wired keyboard( USB) does not work with the bootloader, but when I attach an old and basic logitech usb keyboard that does work. You will also note from the screenshot that it appears to be loading the 10.7 (Lion) kernel although I am using 10.6.7.

I would also ask for a dummies guide of sorts as the "readmefiles" are confusing as I am using an USB stick and have not had a lot of luck with the OSX installaion, I have been playing with this for two days and have already corrupted one disk, but no prob as I always have backups. But I have used your windows option to format and load the files on the USB stick. This version 1.5 from the IRC link downloads into a 1.4 folder adding to my confusion.

The system here is a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 12Gig of DDR3 Ram and an intel i7-930 and Graphics is a Radeon 5770 - I would love this to work - however please be wary of others out there who appear to steal stuff. You have the making of something good, thanks for this and for more information on how to get it to work. From the info supplied you advise about booting into 32 bitor 64 bit but where and how do you do that. I am not a total noob but the directions are confusing and I look forward to seeing it working here without the KPs..

Thanks.

Update wednesday 30 March.

I downloaded the IBOOT 1.5A version today from your IRC links and after placing the amended DSDT in efi/acpi/patched it actually works very well...

Thank you. I have tried to link to your irc but it is always offline, what hours do you operate?

The apple USB keyboard will not work to access the IBOOT options but works fine once OSX 10.6.7 is loaded - strange?

But thanks for this I am very impressed.

Brgds/Tony.

Thank you for

afd_sg 03-29-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbifido (Post 52931)
i did a few test to see why my x86 can not display the GUI of iboot.

1) i found the iphone makeusb.bat file and did this:
a) run the makeusb.bat h:, remove the usb and put it in my pc, restart my pc, all i got was the blinking cursor in the top left of the screen.
it seems as if it is not loading anythink out of efi directory or the efildr20 file, Why?

b) i run the iboot windows file as admin, click the Format usb drive button, unplug, plug it back in,
click setup iBoot, then click done, when it's finish. click the usb drive, select eject, then put it in my other computer, got the same think (blinking cursor at the top-left of the screen.)

I had this problem - it was my apple usb keyboard, I replaced it with an old Logitech USB keyboard and it worked fine.

(See my post below)

iPhoneTom 04-02-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

I have never seen such an incompetent loser like OS_Ninja.

This kid steal my work, and sell it as hims!

He came into my #uefi-boot channel, talked some sh** about helping on development, with no idea what efi is, and after weeks of begging me on knees for getting my code, he said al over the world he coded "iBoot".

What the heck is wrong with you kid? You are at least not able to talk any word to me about your stupid doings?

Sorry, but you are an such poor loser...

Best thing is: some days ago, Ujen, ninjas little helper on getting working sourcecode, tried once again to get my work for patching smbios. Hard to belive, but true... ;) ;)