InfiniteMac OSx86

InfiniteMac OSx86 (http://infinitemac.com/forum.php)
-   Snow Leopard 10.6 (http://infinitemac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   No Installer Packages .. (http://infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=3623)

DocShadow 08-15-2009 01:52 PM

Same KP here so I don't think it's specific to the board.

It has to do with one of the kexts 'cause I was fooling around with one of my SL installs and now it does the same thing. :mad:

mitchde 08-15-2009 05:02 PM

i now installed A432 again from my A421 SL.
That fixed the missing packages for the disk utility repair permissions :) !

The Leo Installer , if using to install OSSInstall.mpkg does his work not 100%, installs but
cant do that packadges for receipts correct.

tsotelo 08-16-2009 10:26 PM

Reinstall BSD.mpkg and problem solved.

OG-Phantom 08-17-2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsotelo (Post 31231)
Reinstall BSD.mpkg and problem solved.

I installed 432 from a 432temp install, and it is running SMOOTH. 64bit kernel mode is working good and I don't have a complaint. I noticed, the installer runs different from within snow leo then it does under 10.5 leopard. I hope a boot-132cd version will work with Snow soon, to avoid all the hassle I just went through... ^_^

mitchde 08-17-2009 09:09 AM

Yep.
It seems to be an difference if using the OSInstall.mprg from OS X 10.5 or within an Snow Leo.
At least i had major problems with the diskutil repair rights after using 10.5 for the install.
From A421 install i had no problems with disk utility & repair rights. ( i changed nothing else!)

DocShadow 08-17-2009 01:37 PM

I agree ... it looks like we are all confirming the same experience ...

If you install SL within Leo then you get the installer error if trying to fix permissions in Disk Utility.

If you install SL wihin SL then there is no error.

Snow 08-17-2009 09:33 PM

Same here, installed from within Leo.

Lots of random Kernel Panics in Snow. Got that fixed with rebuilding kextcache in single user boot.
I'm reinstalling BSD.pkg now to check if the "no packages" issue is gone.

Here's what I did to remove KP's:

boot with -s

Code:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
sudo -s (dunno if this is necessary)
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/snow partition/System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/snow partition/System/Library/Extensions/*

then I did:

Code:

sudo chown 0:0 /
rm -rf /System/Library/Cashes
kextcache -v l -t -l -m /System/Library/Cahces/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

after a reboot I'm still in Snow whereas normaly it would have KP by now.

OG-Phantom 08-18-2009 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snow (Post 31314)
Same here, installed from within Leo.

Lots of random Kernel Panics in Snow. Got that fixed with rebuilding kextcache in single user boot.
I'm reinstalling BSD.pkg now to check if the "no packages" issue is gone.

Here's what I did to remove KP's:

boot with -s

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
sudo -s (dunno if this is necessary)
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/snow partition/System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/snow partition/System/Library/Extensions/*

then i did:

sudo chown 0:0 /
rm -rf /System/Library/Cashes
kextcache -v l -t -l -m /System/Library/Cahces/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

after a reboot I'm still in Snow whereas normaly it would have KP by now.

Very encouraging. Have you tried 64bit kernel mode yet? (boot with -x64 or arch=x86_64). I noticed before, when I was installing from within Leopard, I would get instant KPs booting 64bit mode. No amount of fidgeting with it would fix it.

DocShadow 08-18-2009 04:34 AM

I'm getting KP's in 64 bit 'cause disabler is 32 bit and I haven't found anything to replace it.

32 bit seems to work OK.

Snow 08-18-2009 06:45 AM

@tsotelo: well, I had it working until I installed that BS(O)D package ;) back to kernel panics within Snow.

@OG-Phantom: I've been booting into 64bit all along so will try 32bit m8. I think this is defenetly permissions related so whenever I get it a bit stable I will use it to install another Snow.

Update 1: hmm, booted with -x32 and so far no KP (10 mins in) and repairing permissions even seems to be working now and it has never been this fast (even in Leopard) I'm talking about 3 secs :/

So is this 64bit and our hardware related or just using bad 64bit kexts?

Update 2: Just had another freeze, had installed kx driver and was running fine so dont know if its related or not (was listening to radio stream for about 5 mins)

So conclusion so far is x64bit does not work (constant panics after boot) and x32bit "seems" stable (have to test some more)
I do have the mouse stutter lag though, I think its related to itunes again :/ (I'm using 8800GT)