InfiniteMac OSx86  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Cheetah

Kalyway Freezing/Crashing (ram issue?)

So I'm working my way through setting up my first Hackintosh and things have been going pretty well. Here is a brief summary of the process I have been through. (I have been using Kalyway 10.5.2)

Install 1: Failure wouldn't boot I did a little research and found that some people had issues with the vanilla kernel.

Install 2: I left out all of the kernels and just did a very basic install. This booted up fine but lacked basic amenities like video drivers.

Install 3: This one started to feel like a real life mac, video drivers working etc. But when installing and updating programs this install would often freeze/crash and I would have to restart. (still no vanilla kernel)

I decided the issue was the ran problem Kalyway apparently has (that it tends to crash if 4+ gigs of ram are installed). So I tried to install the kext found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...howtopic=88335

I botched the install (in part because my install of Kalyway lacked Kexthelper because I had not known to install it). So now OS X wont boot and I decide to try a 4th install.

Install 4: The first thing I did was to download the kext which supposedly fixes the ram issue. I then used Kexthelper to install the kext I downloaded from the above thread.

Then I went to the extensions folder and deleted AppleViaATA. I then located and deleted Extensions.mkext and deleted this as well. I restarted and did a repair disk permission in Disk Utility. After this I preceded to install all of my programs without a hitch (no crashing, no freezing).

Everything seemed perfect until I tried to load some video files into iMovie and then crash:

I restarted and OSX wouldn't boot this image came up:

I restarted and booted up in safe mode which worked. Restarted again and everything seemed fine (though oddly the desktop background had changed).

Tried to load the videos into iMovie again and this time it froze/crashed:

So this is where I am now if I try to load things into iMovie the system crashes. The first restart will not boot, though the second one loads fine. Also worth noting I can load individual/short clips into iMovie. I am not sure that the problem is with iMovie it seems to be more about overloading something...

What's causing this crashing? Any ideas?

-Thanks