InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Puma

Question Installing OSX on an AMD Athlon machine?

Hello all, Before I get started...yes i did search and im sorry if my problem/question has been asked before. Ok, so I have been trying to install OSX for a while now...I have tried Kalyway and I get the waiting for root device error. I just want to know what is the best install for my machine and if someone can tell me step by step how to install it. here are my specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ Socket AM2 (940)
ECS Nettle 2 Motherboard
NVIDIA nForce 430 chipset
North Bridge NVIDIA MCP61 Revision A3
South Bridge NVIDIA MCP61 Revision A3
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N SCSI CdRom Device
1- 320 gb SATA HD (running vista)
2- 320 gb SATA HD (not used, want to use for OSX)
3- 320 gb external HD (used for iTunes & other media, but wil use for OSX if needed)

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ Socket AM2
ECS Nettle 2 Motherboard
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N SATA CdRom Device
2- 320 gb SATA HD (running OS X 10.5.6 using iPC)
3- 320 gb external HD (used for media)

Last edited by ulysses_609; 12-23-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses_609 View Post
Hello all, Before I get started...yes i did search and im sorry if my problem/question has been asked before. Ok, so I have been trying to install OSX for a while now...I have tried Kalyway and I get the waiting for root device error. I just want to know what is the best install for my machine and if someone can tell me step by step how to install it. here are my specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ Socket AM2 (940)
ECS Nettle 2 Motherboard
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N SCSI CdRom Device
2- 320 gb SATA HD (not used, want to use for OSX)
3- 320 gb external HD (used for iTunes & other media, but wil use for OSX if needed)
First, post those specs in your signature so later on people aren't asking you for this kind of info.

Second, consider upgrading your video to something that will support Core Imaging and Quartz Extreme... see the HCL here. I'd recommend something with at least 256MB dedicated video RAM. Try choosing from further down in the list... you'll also see just how easy it was for some people to get theirs working by looking through this list.

I would give Leo4Allv3 a try as you have the nForce4 chipset (MCP 61 - - same as mine). I used to use Leo4Allv3 and found it to be a good starting OSx86 distro (esp. for the board you are going to be installing on). Alternatively, you can select LawlessPPC. Advantages and Disadvantages to each are far and few between.

Some problems you will run in to with your setup: SATA DVD-writing does not work in OS X with the nForce chipsets... we are working on this as Apple is just now switching over to the MCP67 in their Macbook and Pro laptops and soon in the iMac and Mac mini. Another problem is your 6150 does not support CI/QE so you will not have a "nice" display for a while (until you upgrade like I advised above). You can still get resolution support through various other methods (those can also be viewed at the HCL above).

When you go to install, make sure you use a boot flag (during the DVD boot press f8, then during the countdown press any other key... this hanging prompt screen is where you will enter the boot flags)... use the boot flags
Code:
-f -x -v cpus=1
remember to include the spaces in between.
The DVD should boot up and you should be able to access Disk Utility (in the Utilities menu up top) after selecting your installing language. Now to set up your HD.

First, make sure you select the correct drive (I'm glad to see you've got a dedicated drive for OS X).
select the drive (not a partition within the drive) and then click on the Partition Tab.
you'll see the Options button at the bottom. Select "GUID Partition Table" from this new window and select OK. Rename your HD to something useful (OS X, MacHD, Leopard, etc... you get it) and then change the Volume Scheme from "Current" to "1 Partition"... the Format should also be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Now once you Apply this you can exit DiskUtility... the installer window will show up and you can go through your setup. Right after selecting Where you will install it you will see a "Customize" button in the lower left corner. You want to click this (otherwise it won't be able to work on your board after installing) and make some selections. As far as what you want to install, select only the bare essentials for now. The "nForce Test" is no longer a "testing" modification to the chipset... it works so use this. Don't select any Audio or Video changes for now.

Install and reboot to the HD (eject the DVD during the reboot).

Again during the countdown, press a key and enter the boot flag "-s" and then enter the following (in yellow) code:
Code:
/sbin/mount -uw /
passwd root    -----> enter a password for the root user after pressing enter
touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -Rf GeForce*
rm -Rf NVDA*
rm -Rf ATI*
cd ..
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
reboot
this will restart the computer and you can boot it normally. Now just enter the password for root (or sys admin as it shows up) and enter OS X. Go to System Preferences in the Dock and click Users. Create a new user for yourself and logout and back in to your new account.

(The reason I have you removing those files is because in the earlier versions of them, they caused kernel panics, so we remove them and in doing so, we get rid of the problem.
Also, by running "touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" we are bypassing the account creation loop that likes to occur with the MCP 61 (as well as many others). Because we are bypassing this, we needed to create a root password so you could login.)

Now let us know that it works and we can help you move on from there to get everything else working and updated.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Jaguar

check out my post here, it might help you:
http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/how-to...-5-5-on-t1774/
Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemn View Post
Ok, so thank you for writing this, but instead of simply pointing to your own install method (yes I've seen you doing this in many other threads), simply try to offer advice in the thread you ARE in right now by referencing parts from your other one.
This forum is about helping other people get OSx86 installed on THEIR systems, not glorifying yourself. Thanks.

(BTW - it was a good How-To... but this needed to be said)

Old 12-22-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemn View Post
regarding your thread... there are other ways of doing this... like getting the voodoo kernel running with the proper kexts, then installing the updates (without needing to patch) via the Apple Software Update.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Puma

first I would like to say thanks for telling me what to do and giving me some suggestions to help me install OSX. Im going to try to install Leo4allv3 as soon as it downloads. Is there anything else that I need to do so I can dual boot vista and leopard?

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ Socket AM2
ECS Nettle 2 Motherboard
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N SATA CdRom Device
2- 320 gb SATA HD (running OS X 10.5.6 using iPC)
3- 320 gb external HD (used for media)
Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfoav8or View Post
regarding your thread... there are other ways of doing this... like getting the voodoo kernel running with the proper kexts, then installing the updates (without needing to patch) via the Apple Software Update.
i know...but on the voodoo kernel website it says that it's not recommended to run the kernel on osx version prior to 10.5.5

i tried just that first (install the voodoo 9.5 kernel on 10.5.2 and then update (via apple software update) to 10.5.5), and i got a kernel panic in the middle of the update.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfoav8or View Post
Ok, so thank you for writing this, but instead of simply pointing to your own install method (yes I've seen you doing this in many other threads), simply try to offer advice in the thread you ARE in right now by referencing parts from your other one.
This forum is about helping other people get OSx86 installed on THEIR systems, not glorifying yourself. Thanks.

(BTW - it was a good How-To... but this needed to be said)
can i put use my distro in every thread on here lol

Old 12-23-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlessPPC View Post
can i put use my distro in every thread on here lol
While I realize you are poking fun here, this is something that has kind of thrown me off for a while. I like that people are willing to help here; that IS the whole point of the forum. You've offered a lot of help without always referring to your distro or a How-To. I am simply asking those who help (in this case it just happens to fall on lemn... no offense bud) to give a little more than just a link to his (working) How-To by realizing that every system is a little different and the people who come here asking for help may not realize there is a step that will not work (or a missing step) for them in a general How-To. Thats all.

Don't get me wrong, I think its fine to point out methods that have worked well... but after a little digging for info elsewhere on the net, you can probably help someone out a little better to be more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses_609
Is there anything else that I need to do so I can dual boot vista and leopard?
Right now, probably nothing except keep researching your system components and double-checking throughout this forum and others to see how people got issues resolved. Since you are going to be booting these from separate Hard Drives, does your BIOS give you the option to start up with a different (selectable) HD on boot? (for example, I need to press f12 near the end of the BIOS boot)

Last edited by nfoav8or; 12-23-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:05 PM

yeah i agree there is 2 much just put a link up atitude around here and to many users not doing the initial research or reading the first steps that are hi-lighted on here. eg still waiting for root device. Not to mention not even finding out what chipset is on their motherboard. If they dont know that it wont make any difference wether they use he right distro or not

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.